“Something major” coming to DHS???

TeriofTerror

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240517_061714_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_061714_Google.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 35

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Iger did mention wanting to use current IP (and specifically said that no IP or old IP wasn't a worthwhile investment), and a Villains land would almost by necessity rely on older IP. Disney doesn't really have many (any?) memorable villains that would work well in a villains land from this century; they'd likely need to go Renaissance and/or older. I guess the remakes help to an extent, but they're generally not leveraging the live action version of films in the parks (thankfully, IMO).

I doubt that's the main reason it's not happening, but it might be a factor.

This is the problem, if Bob's mandate is to be obeyed. Who would be featured? The Grandmother from Encanto? When was the last time a Disney or Pixar film had a great, unabashed villain? King Candy? Lotso? Mother Goethel?

The great villains (Maleficent, the Queen, Jafar, Ursula, Lady Tremaine, Cruella, Scar, etc.) probably mean nothing to Bob because their IP's aren't relevant enough.

It's short-sighted, because their villain events have all been extremely popular- the Villains Sinister Soiree at DHS, the Villains event at Royal Table during MNSSHP, and of course the infamous Villains Night at DHS that caused traffic backups resort-wide and parking routed to Epcot. But I guess they're content to have those villains be "sighted" during MNSSHP.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is the problem, if Bob's mandate is to be obeyed. Who would be featured? The Grandmother from Encanto? When was the last time a Disney or Pixar film had a great, unabashed villain? King Candy? Lotso? Mother Goethel?

The great villains (Maleficent, the Queen, Jafar, Ursula, Lady Tremaine, Cruella, Scar, etc.) probably mean nothing to Bob because their IP's aren't relevant enough.

It's short-sighted, because their villain events have all been extremely popular- the Villains Sinister Soiree at DHS, the Villains event at Royal Table during MNSSHP, and of course the infamous Villains Night at DHS that caused traffic backups resort-wide and parking routed to Epcot. But I guess they're content to have those villains be "sighted" during MNSSHP.
Given Inside Out 2 and Turning Red, the next big monster will be: Puberty.

And who says Disney parks aren't for teens?

Bocabear

The Disney Villains would be extremely popular full stop. Seriously there is absolutely NO RISK to building a villains land. They just invested a billion dollars in a Star Wars land that is about a galaxy at war... with an evil empire where people make weapons and the major action in the rides is to avoid getting shot or put in prison. THe Disney Villains at least are quirky and whimsical and as someone else pointed out, sing. We would also get unbelievable eye candy with the different settings, and the variety of experiences could be really interesting... 4 year-olds would probably not get ROTR or the other Star Wars attraction either.....and Adults and kids over toddler age would love a mysterious Villain's Lair....

doctornick

I tend to agree with it being short sighted but I’d also suggest that limited offerings may not be the best gauge of the popularity and sustainability of a product. When something is rare, you have a concentrated push to experience/buy.

Phicinfan

From what I can tell, the outlook isn't good.
Question, if you know, could this have been deep blue sky for potential 5th gate? Something they dabbled in and want to protect for IF they ever do a 5th gate?

I have often thought that would be the way to go in WDW for a 5th gate - an almost opposite MK using villains

PREMiERdrum

Walking back from dinos has much less to do with "ceding dinosaurs to the park up I-4" and much more to do with them just lacking a vehicle or existing concept to anchor them to. None of their dinosaur-centered films met expectations. Indy was the obvious choice once their Tropical Americas concept started coming into focus.

Walking back from Dark Kingdom, as I believe they're doing, has much less to do with "ceding monsters to the park up I-4" and more to do with their ability to measure up to expectations with such a large creative pool and long-festering interest in the concept.

The "Villain Land" concept has been armchair-imagineered for so long, it's grown to a Beastley Kingdomme-like mythos. Lovely material for a coffee table book, but impossible to meet expectations as a real place.

PREMiERdrum

They could meet my expectations for Beastly Kingdomme by simply building exactly what they were going to build! I'll never let go of Beastly Kingdomme.
A standard Arrow suspended coaster with exposed supports but a higly-themed queue and station and a hedge maze might not "wow" today's crowd... though it made for incredible artwork!

eddie104

While I love the Villians land as a concept I knew from the start it was the most blue sky compared to other ideas.

Encanto and Coco make the most sense since they are recent IP.

However I’m trying to figure what else is coming to that plot of land at the MK?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

The "Villain Land" concept has been armchair-imagineered for so long, it's grown to a Beastley Kingdomme-like mythos. Lovely material for a coffee table book, but impossible to meet expectations as a real place.
The villain stuff that has come out isn’t that interesting. It’s a concept built entirely around characters and that doesn’t really work that well.

PREMiERdrum

The villain stuff that has come out isn’t that interesting. It’s a concept built entirely around characters and that doesn’t really work that well.
AFAIK the working concept was a sort of anti-Fantasyland (in the style of "new" Fantasyland / Fantasyland Forest)... a dark, skewed village outpost where different characters had set up shop, with at least one castle looming in the distance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom