‘We’re putting people who are visiting Disney in danger.’ Firefighters say they are short-handed at theme park

Goofyernmost

With all due respect, you’re way off base. The idea that people at a theme park are any different than the people outside a theme park is so far in left field that it might as well be on Mars. I would agree that WDW has fewer homeless than most cities, but how does that factor into the equation? EMS doesn’t discriminate or treat people differently based on any sort of demographic, a person is a person. I spent 10 years working on an ambulance in a busy urban system, and the rich experienced medical emergencies just as much as the poor. Also, the amount of complaining in the tram tracker thread along with the number of times I’ve been personally run over by an ECV in the parks suggest your position that people in the parks are self sufficient is completely unfounded.

I generally wouldn’t call myself a union guy. I’m not anti union, but I would also agree we are past the days of paying kids 50 cents a day to change spools of thread in the mills. However, the union’s position is that they’re not meeting benchmarks. Based on my experience in the business as it were and what I’ve observed, the union isn’t off base. It appears that the guys are working their tails off but still aren’t meeting acceptable levels of care.
OK, if you say so! Doesn't change much of anything though. You make WDW sound more dangerous the crossing the Jersey turnpike with a broken leg at rush hour. When I see evidence that what they have isn't sufficient I will agree. Until then, sorry you cannot have a EMS vehicle for everyone that is present. You have to go with the math and probabilities. I agreed that they might not have enough staffing. That I don't know, but I do know that I am not going to base my opinion on a person pushing for more funding via higher pay. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Disney was not properly funding, but I do not have those numbers so all I can say is that based on what I have seen over the years of going there, has not made me feel concerned. Maybe it is because if I were ill I just plainly would not be going to a theme park so if I feel good I am not going to ask how many ambulances they have on hand.

hosekiller

OK, if you say so! Doesn't change much of anything though. You make WDW sound more dangerous the crossing the Jersey turnpike with a broken leg at rush hour. When I see evidence that what they have isn't sufficient I will agree. Until then, sorry you cannot have a EMS vehicle for everyone that is present. You have to go with the math and probabilities. I agreed that they might not have enough staffing. That I don't know, but I do know that I am not going to base my opinion on a person pushing for more funding via higher pay. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Disney was not properly funding, but I do not have those numbers so all I can say is that based on what I have seen over the years of going there, has not made me feel concerned. Maybe it is because if I were ill I just plainly would not be going to a theme park so if I feel good I am not going to ask how many ambulances they have on hand.
The evidence has been presented and explained in depth, so I’ll just respectfully agree to disagree.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The evidence has been presented and explained in depth, so I’ll just respectfully agree to disagree.
I did. Hence my first response….

I see some things never change, like having to constantly correct a certain poster who has never encountered anything others describe and thus it could never happen. 😅

Lilofan

I believe it. I just don't believe people would willingly damage a Disney vacation to get a free ambulance ride and ER visit. Especially when an ER visit would normally only take care of the immediate issue, and not be a full health check.

Also, with your previous comment about CM's, they don't normally go to a hospital (other than major injuries, like when I had my spine injured) - they go to their in-house health services office behind Epcot, which Disney owns and operates.
WDW is approx 25 mile radius , in house office is not 24/7.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
All I hear is the sound of wind
sorry lion king GIF

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Can't help you if you do not get it. If a person is not feeling well and the service center is closed who do you think one will call for medical assistance?
So, they'd go to Disney off the clock to then have them call an ambulance?

Lilofan

Then stop being coy and just say what you want to say, rather than leaving things unsaid and open to interpretation based off of previous posts, which are equally coy.
Your baseless comment on people love to ride an ambulance at Disney is just that. You definitely have ill feelings on your previous employment with Disney but ridiculing comments like getting real is not necessary.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Your baseless comment on people love to ride an ambulance at Disney is just that. You definitely have ill feelings on your previous employment with Disney but ridiculing comments like getting real is not necessary.
It's been over 18 years since my time at Disney ended. Since then, I've started and thrived in another career, obtained advanced degrees, and have traveled the world. Any ill feelings I have towards the company are due them are due to my general disagreement of how the company is run, how they treated the CMs they laid off, and my perceived lack of value compared to years prior: nothing else.

Unless I misunderstood you, you were the one who implied that people travel to Disney to be able to receive free medical care on the mouse's tab. My replies were sarcastic.

Last edited:

Lilofan

It's been over 18 years since my time at Disney ended. Since then, I've started and thrived in another career, obtained advanced degrees, and have traveled the world. An ill feelings I have towards the company are due them are due to my general disagreement of how the company is run, how they treated the CMs they laid off, and my perceived lack of value compared to years prior: nothing else.

Unless I misunderstood you, you were the one who implied that people travel to Disney to be able to receive free medical care on the mouse's tab. My replies were sarcastic.
People travel to WDW to receive free medical care are your words and not even remotely my opinions. You definitely misunderstood.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I always have terrible thoughts when I pass the fire station near Epcot and think to the stories from the book 'The Mouse Betrayed' about the various methods they used in 'hazing' new recruits. Wasn't a pleasant read and cost them a lot of money in an out of court settlement many years ago. :eek:
…I love all salacious behind the scenes expose’ when it comes to Disney in Florida…

except that one

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s been over 18 years since my time at Disney ended. Since then, I've started and thrived in another career, obtained advanced degrees, and have traveled the world. An ill feelings I have towards the company are due them are due to my general disagreement of how the company is run, how they treated the CMs they laid off, and my perceived lack of value compared to years prior: nothing else.

1639872832631.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom