‘We’re putting people who are visiting Disney in danger.’ Firefighters say they are short-handed at theme park

Lilofan

During all hours of the day, you can have a transient population of more than 300K within that 40 square mile area. This is being served by 4 Houses and maybe 30-40 First responders providing Fire and EMS services. In any other location in the world you would have a significantly more response capacity.

The majority of RCFD calls are EMS calls. You have no idea what you're talking about.
If guests and cast were charged for each EMS call the amount of calls may be different. Currently a 911 call at WDW can have EMS check the patient out on scene and or transport the patient to the hospital at no charge to the patient.

Disstevefan1

And because paywall, here you go: https://archive.md/undpi
There are risks in going to WDW like; getting stuck in the skyliner, getting food poisoning, fist fights on the ferry and oh yes, getting and spreading COVID and its variants…

Lilofan

There are risks in going to WDW like; getting stuck in the skyliner, getting food poisoning, fist fights on the ferry and oh yes, getting and spreading COVID and its variants…
However for the guest being inconvienced, WDW takes care of them with some comps. ( ie monorail breakdown, guests stuck in there for hours before being rescued )

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
If guests and cast were charged for each EMS call the amount of calls may be different. Currently a 911 call at WDW can have EMS check the patient out on scene and or transport the patient to the hospital at no charge to the patient.
If you are transported and have insurance, your insurance is billed for the transport.

But can you imagine the bad precedent it would set, by conveying that ambulances are nothing more than taxies with O2 bottles and defibrillators ?

hosekiller

I've seen no evidence that they are not doing the job right. If you base it on a union spokesman than that is not knowing exactly how things are run or how effective they are. In my opinion, that guy is fighting for his union members which is what he is supposed to do. We cannot and should not have any window into what the reality is as we sit here as armchair management without any real, hands on knowledge. I saw a parade of firefighters and equipment going to a grass fire. That is hardly mediocrity. The reports that have been hashed around (castle fire, etc.) in this thread have been nothing other than what they thought was going on. We have no idea of exactly what was communicated in actuality. The responders arrived in numbers much larger then needed for the situation. Again... Hardly mediocre.
I’ve worked in the business for approaching two decades with various roles including fire, EMS, dispatch, tech rescue and more. You don’t need insight into management and such to see that there are issues as long as you know what you’re looking at.

It’s crazy to me that so many people fuss about the lack of parking lot trams as an example, but they claim that 4 fire stations covering a population the size of WDW is adequate.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
If you are transported and have insurance, your insurance is billed for the transport.
That's a bit more complicated than that. Not every ambulance provider accepts every (or even any) insurance, and you don't get to choose who arrives.

Lilofan

That's a bit more complicated than that. Not every ambulance provider accepts every (or even any) insurance, and you don't get to choose who arrives.
My relative needed 911 assist when she fainted at church. When the call was made, paramedics showed up , no transport , she went home only to get a bill in the mail from the ambulance services company for their check up on her. This was in another state.

hosekiller

My relative needed 911 assist when she fainted at church. When the call was made, paramedics showed up , no transport , she went home only to get a bill in the mail from the ambulance services company for their check up on her. This was in another state.
I can do one better than that. Say you’re rear ended at a stoplight and a passerby calls 911. An ambulance shows up and you refuse any treatment or transport. A couple weeks later you get a bill even though you weren’t injured and you didn’t call for an ambulance.

I know of a service that tried that for a while and still may be doing it for all I know 🤦🏻‍♂️

Goofyernmost

I’ve worked in the business for approaching two decades with various roles including fire, EMS, dispatch, tech rescue and more. You don’t need insight into management and such to see that there are issues as long as you know what you’re looking at.

It’s crazy to me that so many people fuss about the lack of parking lot trams as an example, but they claim that 4 fire stations covering a population the size of WDW is adequate.
A population of a theme park is not the same as a population of a city. The only thing that might be close is the population number after that there is no comparison.

hosekiller

A population of a theme park is not the same as a population of a city. The only thing that might be close is the population number after that there is no comparison.
How are people at a theme park any different than what they were before they crossed an invisible boundary line? People are people, and the fact is that there are hundreds of thousands of people in the district every day, and their needs don’t change depending on what side of the boundary line they’re on, and 4 stations aren’t enough for that kind of population. As a comparison, my department protects a population of about 150k with 15 stations, and we are looking to add stations as funding becomes available. The neighboring county protects a population of over 200k with 20 stations.

this doesn’t even get into the fact that manpower requirements drastically increase when you compare single family residences vs commercial occupancies vs mid rise/high rise occupancies…….

peter11435

But can you imagine the bad precedent it would set, by conveying that ambulances are nothing more than taxies with O2 bottles and defibrillators ?
Reedy Creek does not charge a fee for treatment or services.

and yes… some guests know this and already treat it as an emergency taxi.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom