Trip Report ‘Tis The Season For More Disney! *COMPLETED*

Fa la la la la
la la la LA

But let’s be honest.
Which season isn’t the season for more Disney?
In 2017 I have been fortunate to experience winter, spring and summer in the world.
And now the holidays!
Since December is such a festive time of year at the parks, I think two trips are in order....don’t you?

Trip #1
Cast:
Tuvalu and Em
When: December 1-4, 2017
Where: Port Orleans Riverside
Why: A Jingle BAM Birthday 2.0

A4132369-7260-4635-89F6-C4FB66018B71.jpeg

Join us as we attend our first MVMCP, wander around World Showcase like a couple of newbies, meet a forum friend and intentionally watch LOTS of fireworks....did we get to Illuminations this year?

You’ll have to wait and see.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
At check in we noted that Em was celebrating her birthday and we asked if Ryan was working....he was!....and we requested to sit in his section.

Knowing that Ryan’s usual section is the Monterey Room in the back of the restaurant, we both were smiling when the hostess walked us back there.

7C71BF4D-32A9-4407-9E1F-8722508DBB77.jpeg

A6AE6AC6-8A4C-467B-89E3-7A915DFDA878.jpeg

View from our table ~
B6C2BB33-B304-4595-96E2-A496DB7CD9EF.jpeg

We had #ShirleyStatus for a good part of our meal as there were empty tables around us.
8C8A58D4-EB4F-4289-9AEB-FD2E2744B0DF.jpeg

After handing us our menus, the hostess departed. Another server who was in the room quickly rushed over to pour water in our glasses and asked if we wanted to order a drink. We had planned to order wine but had not had a chance to look at the wine list so we kindly put him off by saying we needed some time to decide.

“Didn’t you request Ryan?” Em asked.
“Of course,” I replied. “And the hostess said, ‘Ryan will be your server tonight,’ when she walked us back here.”
“We probably shouldn’t order anything or he’ll think he’s our server now,” Em said.

We could see Ryan attending to a table a few feet away. The next thing we knew, the first server was back with our bread basket asking if we had decided on wine.

It was do or die time.

At that moment Tink must have sprinkled her pixie dust as Ryan turned from the table he was at and I caught his attention with a wave. Ryan came rushing over with excitement and gave me a hug.

It became clear who would be our server tonight!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Server crisis adverted, Em ordered a Pinot and I had a Conundrum (under the category “Interesting Whites”). Though we already knew what we were going to have, we looked over the menu anyway.

83725EE2-6922-4C7C-8F26-94B0E841E320.jpeg

One thing that really stood out was no risotto accompanying the filet. :jawdrop: The risotto has been one of CG’s signature sides that we really look forward to. We decided not to dwell too negatively about it.

Besides, there was yummy sourdough and lavender focaccia on the table ready to be devoured.
94D4316D-A022-49AA-A5DD-CA59FF194635.jpeg

And then the BEST. APPETIZER. EVER.
BLT flatbread.
69A3D5AA-FF0A-4A4A-BC47-A5B969EB3A54.jpeg

Yeah, we finished it. No shame!

You may remember that Em and I often split entrees. However, all bets are off when it comes to the filet.
058C8F54-A2DA-4BC5-BD5D-8F3712C3D854.jpeg

The filet was covered in a tamarind barbecue sauce which detracted from its usual smoky flavor. If we had noticed this on the menu, we would have requested our filets plain. On the left of the filet is potato-rutabaga gratin. It was.....ok. It probably would have been delicious had we never experienced the risotto ~ but we have, and it wasn’t.

Ryan said he wasn’t sure why the risotto was pulled other than the chef likes to change things up. We enjoyed conversing with him between courses. Ryan told us he has been working at CG for 18 years and had just attended his first Cast Member Appreciation event the night before at the MK. (The 4:30 pm early closure that day had many negative posters on this site up in arms. 🙄) He said the park was open for CMs from 6:30-11:30 pm and in addition to the attractions and live music, there were food stations throughout the park offering a variety of items. He said it was a lot of fun. Personally, I’m glad Disney honors their hard-working, loyal CMs this way.

Em’s birthday dinner would not be complete without cake, right?
The Boston Cream cupcake.....to die for.
1901C290-F985-43DF-93BB-A19B8722DBD9.jpeg

She let me have a couple bites. :inlove:

Very full, we went outside on the observation deck.
1A2A7F31-5FA4-4C8E-B8D4-313B515DD452.jpeg

Happily Ever After wouldn’t start for another hour and since we were done with our meal, we said goodbye to Ryan and took the elevator down to the 4th floor concourse.

Last edited:

blreinsel

Are you trying to steal my prize @blgauger ?;)
In fairness you would be able to collect a lot quicker then me.

Maybe :p

Props to @RedNoseMickey for being the first to answer correctly!

View attachment 255025
But @blgauger did provide that lovely photo guess....

Since it would be incredibly difficult to procure a prize from Cali Grill, would you ladies be happy with a Mickey bar? :joyfull:

Anything that's Mickey shaped is alright in my book. :joyfull:

One thing that really stood out was no risotto accompanying the filet. :jawdrop:

I noticed that on the menu a few weeks ago... maybe the chef is rebelling because we complained so much about the loss of the mushroom risotto. :p

TrolleyFollower91

On the left of the filet is potato-rutabaga gratin. It was.....ok. It probably would have been delicious had we never experienced the risotto ~ but we have, and it wasn’t.
The gratin was definitely a letdown. There also was a bbq sauce on the filet that just wasn’t necessary- that filet has enough flavor on it’s own.

Happily Ever After wouldn’t start for another hour and since we were done with our meal, we said goodbye to Ryan and took the elevator down to the 4th floor concourse.
@Tuvalu showed her #celebritystatus with some grandparents on the observation deck. Apparently she looked like she knew the direction of the Orlando Eye, how to get there, and how many people can ride it. She answered with confidence and patience. I, on the other hand, shrunk into my turtle shell and pretended we weren’t together :joyfull:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Awesome report so far as always! I am having a slight panic attack that the risotto is gone. It’s been one of our faves for years pared with the filet. DH is going to be very sad! Hopefully it'll be back when we dine here in May.
I hope the risotto returns soon too! When Woody and I dined there last May, mashed potatoes accompanied the filet, but the risotto was back on our June visit. Nothing beats that risotto!

When in April? We are also going in April! April 6-10, and then again May 18-23 to celebrate my 40th birthday...😳!
Em and I leave on the 7th. Woody and I will be there in early May. Have fun on your trips!

Tuvala You have such great trip reports i love to see them. I would like to see all the holiday parties too. Going on Birthdays, well lets see. My Wife would be early April, My Daughter would be Thanksgiving, and mine would be Labor day weekend.
Thanks for reading! I too know what it’s like to have a birthday during a high-crowd season....mine is on Valentines Day. But there’s nothing like being in the World on your birthday!

Hey TOOV, have you folks done the Brunch at the Top at CG? We've done it twice and enjoyed it. The price still gives me sticker-shock each time, but those bottomless mimosas seem to make up for it - sort of. Was wondering what you thought of it (or why you haven't done it - if that is the case...). I've had many a b-day meal up there, great choice @TrolleyFollower91 !!
Don’t hate us.....but Em and I are not brunch people. 😔

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

When we got off the elevator we went in search of the gingerbread display. For the past few years it has been on the opposite side of the elevators. Not this year ~ it was down past the gift stores. I suppose the location change was necessary due to the new monorail security screening area (which is near the former display area.)

Honestly, we weren’t impressed. It was the same flat castle as last year, only instead of the Frozen gang it was Cinderella and Prince Charming.

55D54D33-CF16-417A-815F-476935C601FB.jpeg

We took a quick peek into BVG. My 11 year old self would have LOVED wearing an Orange Bird dress. I adored Orange Bird!
F092695B-4EE5-4B36-A4E5-C8454639B3F3.jpeg

We took the escalator up to the monorail. Chef Mickey’s was eerily empty and quiet.
It was closed for refurbishment. :joyfull:
5DCFEDDB-415D-4EE8-B12C-F8D81192FDEF.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom