‘The American Idol Experience’ Attraction Celebrates First Year with ‘Dream Ticket’ R

RetiredFRN

??

OK I'm confused (easily done). My DD and I went this past December to WDW and watched the american idol experience. Most of the contestants who were on stage we're way over the age limit to get on to american idol, so where does this dream ticket come into play. They don't meet the age requirements. :veryconfu

lebeau

OK I'm confused (easily done). My DD and I went this past December to WDW and watched the american idol experience. Most of the contestants who were on stage we're way over the age limit to get on to american idol, so where does this dream ticket come into play. They don't meet the age requirements. :veryconfu

The rules address this. From memory, they still get the ticket. I believe they can give it away or even sell it to someone who can use it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wonder about that. Millionaire ran for years after the show was out of prime time.
Indeed it did. With nothing solid to replace it. The park suits were stuck in a prediciment. The park version was comissioned just as Millionare peaked, and was on the way out so far as networks were concerned when it opened. In the end they had a show that was synonomous with the version on TV at that time, not the show that was a #1.

TSMM wasn`t the first proposal for a soundstage. The park wouldn`t admit until 2006 it was in need of help.

Figment632

Why do you feel the need to go out of your way to bash things that others really do enjoy? If you don't like it, don't say anything.

Not trying to be rude, but I have made it clear that I enjoy Idol, and you keep saying everything you can to rip it.

Just like I love certain things in WDW and other people rip that. Not everyone is going to think like you.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just like I love certain things in WDW and other people rip that. Not everyone is going to think like you.
True, but sorccergoofy has a point. There really is no reason to be a buzz kill. I went to AIE once just to see what it was all about. I thought it was a great representation of the show but since I am not a big fan of the show it is not an attraction that I am going to be going on on every trip. I loathe CBJ but I do not go around telling people that love it how bad I think it is.

hokielutz

I am a casual fan of the show and this season is the worst in recent memory. I can't put my finger on why but I simply have no interest in this years crop of contestants and the talent level seems to be far lower than it has been in the past.

The people they put up can sing for the most part.... but they don't know how to perform and captivate an audience... like people of past years... such as recent years alums Adam Lambert, Daughtry, David Cook, and Blake Lewis. Those were performers that they lack this year.

I also only think the show will last just two more seasons. With Simon gone this year, they would really have to find someone to ignite chemistry among the judges. Seacrest's smile and Simon's scowl can only carry the show so far.

Maybe imagineering should start work on AIE's replacement now in anticipation of Idol's end?

Ignohippo

I'm a big fan of AI but I thought this was a really bad idea when it was first announced.

Does anyone who works at DHS know how many people this thing averages? Or what percentage of capacity? I'm also surprised at the lack of marketing AIE has had since it opened and how the show basically has no advertising in the parks. I don't think the general pubic understands the concept or would want to go and sit in a room for an hour while amateurs sing karaoke when they paid good money for a ticket to the park. They can go to almost any bar in the world and do that for free.

The lack of marketing tells me this thing won't be around for long.

(btw, Siobahn's singing sounded like someone torturing a cat to me. Worst contestant since Sanjaya)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The people they put up can sing for the most part.... but they don't know how to perform and captivate an audience... like people of past years... such as recent years alums Adam Lambert, Daughtry, David Cook, and Blake Lewis. Those were performers that they lack this year.

I also only think the show will last just two more seasons. With Simon gone this year, they would really have to find someone to ignite chemistry among the judges. Seacrest's smile and Simon's scowl can only carry the show so far.

Maybe imagineering should start work on AIE's replacement now in anticipation of Idol's end?

A Phineas and Ferb 4D show would work well in that theatre. Or in the Sounds Dangerous location, considering that show never seems to be running....

TinkerBelle8878

I think the lack of promotion for the DHS show during AI is due to the network. Fox isn't giving free advertising for Disney, ABC or any of those properties during their time. Disney had to know that unless they were paying Fox a sum, it wasn't going to be promoted during the show or by any contestants.

the-reason14

I think the lack of promotion for the DHS show during AI is due to the network. Fox isn't giving free advertising for Disney, ABC or any of those properties during their time. Disney had to know that unless they were paying Fox a sum, it wasn't going to be promoted during the show or by any contestants.

That pretty much defeats the purpose of the attraction imo. Think about how many people watch AI, that would be great advertisement for the show.

rct247

Last summer and fall, I was given the impression that it wasn't do too well as an attraction. In the fall at one point, they even tried removing the first show of the day. The shows throughout the day, even now, usually only have 2 performers when 3 is what they hoped for. They just simply say that the 3rd performer lost their voice screaming on INSERT RIDE HERE. Then the contestants are numbered #2 and #3 with no #1.

Getting people to audition is the hard part. The location to audition is much further away than the attraction entrance which confuses guests looking for either. For a while they tried an alternate entrance and spent money on a bunch of banners and in part direction signs, but that alternate entrance is no longer used and the old entrance was back in use.

Once American Idol season began, crowds starting going to it more often. Low attendence shows and number of performers are still an issue, but the last show always fills pretty well. On busy days, lines of people are even turned away because it is filled to capacity. Guests also like to watch it on the big screen out front.

Finally, they have started to broadcast all the shows on the screen out front to help promote it more.

So there ya have it. It still doesn't draw in the estimated numbers, but that last show does fill to capacity a lot.

Figment632

The problem with the AI attraction is it came to late. If they built it during the first couple of seasons it might have been more popular.

lebeau

The problem with the AI attraction is it came to late. If they built it during the first couple of seasons it might have been more popular.

That's a big part of it. But also, there's no getting around the fact that as well done as the show is from a production values standpoint, it's still just karaoke on a grand scale. When people are paying top dollar for a day at a Disney park, they don't want to devote too much of that day to something they can do at home (on a much smaller scale).

Figment632

That's a big part of it. But also, there's no getting around the fact that as well done as the show is from a production values standpoint, it's still just karaoke on a grand scale. When people are paying top dollar for a day at a Disney park, they don't want to devote too much of that day to something they can do at home (on a much smaller scale).

I think most people did what I did they saw it once and once was enough.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Keep it open. More people in that theatre means less in the queues for ToT and RnRC.....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
rct247;4094089 Getting people to audition is the hard part. The location to audition is much further away than the attraction entrance which confuses guests looking for either. For a while they tried an alternate entrance and spent money on a bunch of banners and in part direction signs said:
I gather now that they do auditions at the turnstyles just prior to park opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom