News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Reading the comments from the "haters" of all things IP-related and those that yearn to "Make Disney Great Again" (because looking backwards is always the right way to go forward... lol).... I can't escape this observation:

You sound like people who have been married to someone for a LONG time, and the (once good) relationship died long ago. But for whatever reason you stay married... neither one of you loves each other anymore, you don't have any intimacy, etc... Your basically miserable but still married (in this case, to Disney).

Have you ever thought about making the divorce official? Why not move on? Why not accept that you are not a good fit for each other anymore? Your obviously NOT Disney's target market anymore (and Disney is thriving by every reasonable BUSINESS measure: attendance, revenues, profits, etc.) so they aren't going to miss you. Yes, it's a business.
Ah. Welcome back.

CaptainAmerica

Isn't it the lackluster response to RoL that caused them to conclude that all night time shows have to be IP-heavy? If so, I'm kind of hoping that this and the 2020 Epcot show flop - so we can get rid of that ridiculous assumption.

I'm still bitter about RoE....
That would seem like a strange conclusion. They have way more data on RoE than they do RoL, so it would be weird for them to use data on the latter to make decisions regarding the former.

Unless guests were also giving RoE poor feedback.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That would seem like a strange conclusion. They have way more data on RoE than they do RoL, so it would be weird for them to use data on the latter to make decisions regarding the former.

Unless guests were also giving RoE poor feedback.
There’s been concerns over RoE over the last few years. However the IP inclusion for the new show is part mandate from Burbank and part being told the response to HEA.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Although many fans appreciate the subtlety and on-theme design of the show, some guests have expressed disappointment in not seeing and hearing familiar Disney characters and themes in the show.

Just another way of saying, "We cater to the lowest common denominator".

And the problem isn't "hating all things IP-related". If some could read and comprehend what's been stated multiple times in this thread in a few hours alone, it's the EXECUTION that lacks. IP inclusion can work, but their current approach is square-peg-round-hole.

And booting the bald-headed merch goon currently running P&R up the corporate food chain isn't going to fix P&R, because he's going to get a like-minded minion to take his place and keep his policies going. Booting him out the door would be a good start, though.

CaptainAmerica

The thing I'm learning is that the lowest common denominator also appears to be the majority. It's not a bell curve where a small number of people crave stupidity and a small number of people crave art, with most people falling somewhere in between. Most people are on the "prefer stupidity" end of the spectrum.

I tend to be on the "pixie duster" side of things, but my eyes were opened when I saw Mickey's Mix Magic for the first time. Of the top-five awful things I've seen in Disney Parks, that is by far #1 (followed by the current state of the Imagination Pavilion, breakfast at Be Our Guest, the new Disney Junior show, and one night I spent in a pre-refurb Caribbean Beach room).

Tony the Tigger

“Haters gonna hate,” per usual.

I like the idea - drawing the link from Disney’s nature films to a glimpse of a character based on that animal. You reach a broader audience - the folks who are there for the animals, and those who are there for the characters. No harm done, and keep the kids interested.

Your fairly offensive error here is referring to guests who will enjoy this as “low.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom