News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
my understanding is this is just different projections (in places) and some music changes. this show needs more

I've been waiting on a better ending to this since it began... sorta like I have been with Spaceship Earth since it's last redo

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Damn you Chapek. You just don’t get it.

I used to think this too. However....
Because they're filling the seats. But are the people leaving happy?
This is probably true. People aren't leaving happy. And quite frankly, seeing Simba eating bugs with Pumba will probably make them happy.

I am growing more and more apathetic towards these things. The parks are no longer being designed for me, it's a different consumer they are now targeting, and by all accounts, hitting the bullseye. Disney is no longer an every year thing for me, maybe every 3/4 years now, and once my kids outgrow it, then probably not at all anymore. 🤷‍♂️

MJ6987

To be fair though, the creatives are coming under heavy pressure from above to make IP part of EVERYTHING they do. It is one of Bob Chapek's pillars - he wants Disney IP to be in everything they do. For now, the days of creating new and original for content for the parks is gone.
It’s sad that a Haunted Mansion or a Pirates would never be created today (although they became IP linked in reverse!).

flyerjab

I’ve seen this twice. The first time with absolutely no wind and all of the effects worked flawlessly. It was a beautiful show. The second time it was breezy. The water screen wouldn’t connect properly, the fire lotus wasn’t even sent out, and the projections weren’t working. The real issue is that the show is never a guarantee to work due to the unpredictability of the weather (as well as limitations with show effects that would be too loud). That to me is the real issue that folks should have foreseen but didn’t and now they are stuck with it.

As far as IP is concerned, that has never mattered to me as much. If the revamped show works with IP, so be it. I won’t get all triggered as the kids say nowadays because of IP. That will get me nowhere since that is the future of the parks. There is pretty much no changing that.

Kman101

I’m not against IP in AK as they have done some IP really well in this park. However if it’s basically just IP shoved into this show then no thanks.

Exactly. Everyone should know I don't hate IP for the sake of hating IP. But there's a time and a place and just slapping in characters, again, doesn't "fix" the show. People need to just admit they prefer a montage of Disney characters, not that it would "fix" it.

Kman101

I’ve seen this twice. The first time with absolutely no wind and all of the effects worked flawlessly. It was a beautiful show. The second time it was breezy. The water screen wouldn’t connect properly, the fire lotus wasn’t even sent out, and the projections weren’t working. The real issue is that the show is never a guarantee to work due to the unpredictability of the weather (as well as limitations with show effects that would be too loud). That to me is the real issue that folks should have foreseen but didn’t and now they are stuck with it.

As far as IP is concerned, that has never mattered to me as much. If the revamped show works with IP, so be it. I won’t get all triggered as the kids say nowadays because of IP. That will get me nowhere since that is the future of the parks. There is pretty much no changing that.

I agree there are issues. I had the same experience as you. First time was a miss. Second time was fairly flawless. Pacing issues, amongst other things. I can understand why some don't like it. I give it a pass because of the message and the fact that I applauded them not shoving IP in there. Now, here we are. The problem most have is that "IP doesn't fix this". Fixing the show, fixes the show ... lol. I agree they could implement IP well. They've done well with AK for the most part. I don't hate IP in the Tree of Life Awakenings ... but the stance some have that IP fixes everything .... does adding Mickey Mouse to Haunted Mansion make that attraction any better? How about we make Goofy the Hatbox Ghost ... none of that makes the attraction better. But I'll see how they handle it.

It's more for me than just "hating IP". Chapek is misguided and I see no problem calling it out. I accept a *lot* ... but sadly, I've also realized we seem to be the minority, after so many come to the defense of whatever they do. Chapek knows IP and characters are an easy and quick fix that they can market better. A part of me can't really blame them because the majority of guests eat it up, but at the same time, under his mindset, we'd never get things like Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion. I have no problem with folks wanting Disney characters, I have a problem that they're the go-to "fix" ... and I have a problem that many don't understand Disney used to be more than just slapping Mickey on things and calling it themed or "fixed" ... it all goes a little deeper for me. I care about more than just seeing Frozen represented in the parks. But I also, sadly, understand that many ONLY care about that. There's a big disconnect between Disney movie fans and Disney park fans ...

I've LONG said IP isn't the actual problem, the execution is.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

This is not the way to fix this show. Not at all.
You sense a theme developing here with the Night Time shows?
The thing that gets me is the laziness in imagineering to flood the shows with IP as a crutch to tell the story. MK got it with HEA, Epcot is getting it with the 2020 show, and now DAK is getting it.

More screens with IP everywhere, less imagination and story telling.
I don't mind the inclusion of Disney Nature if it can be done properly. I imagine there is a very limited budget to do anything to adjust the show after such a huge investment to put the show together in the first place with blah results.
Exactly. Everyone should know I don't hate IP for the sake of hating IP. But there's a time and a place and just slapping in characters, again, doesn't "fix" the show. People need to just admit they prefer a montage of Disney characters, not that it would "fix" it.
So while we only have one piece of concept art to draw from, I'm mildly optimistic here. I did not like Rivers of Light. It seems the Imagineering compromise for stuff like this is to pair Disney animation with real world equivalents (assuming the real life lion and cub isn't from Favreau's Lion King). I could see this real life / animated parallel montage approach actually work for Rivers of Light and Epcot's 2020 show as well.

It's not my first choice, but it's far from my last.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Very well put. I’ve seen it in wind, which almost writes it off, and I saw such a perfect show I had to shoot a quick video:

Jwhee

The fix IS NOT adding characters. If the show still lacks a "wow factor" and has no closure/finale then guests will still leave with the same slight taste of dissatisfaction that they currently have.

The issue isn't that little Jimmy didn't see Mickey Mouse~ it's that little Jimmy just saw Illuminations the night before and a slow-paced fountain show that doesn't have a finale won't excite him.

The current show is beautiful with an amazing soundtrack but it just lacks the punch that the great shows have had such as Wishes, IROE, HAE, WOC. Adding characters isn't won't fix it, some redesigning of the speical fx in the finale could.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom