News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

RunningKoen

tattoo-jpg.549362

As expected, the "no larger than the size of your hand" rule is being completely ignored and/or managed very poorly. :(

In his defense, you could make a valid argument that each letter is a separate tat and thus he's got at least five different tats there that are all smaller than the size of his hand.

The rules on visible tats are very vague and a mile wide and subject to broad interpretation. For whatever reason, Disney didn't want to put the same amount of thought into the tattoo rules as they do the sunglasses rules.

This is nothing but the sudden and dramatic lowering of standards. It's not a change for the better. For anyone, employees or customers.

It's one of the first pics of a new rule. Judgement day comes early ...

Give it some time and let things be. Grant them some time to moderate. What is and what isn't acceptable? Maybe his manager will have a chat that his tattoo is too visible and he'll continue to work with long sleeves.

Tattoo's aren't comparable to sunglassed (Never though I had to mention this.)
The old look had some clear and some unclear rules aswell. Not everything can be detailled down as sunglasses or the number of rings you can or cannot wear. I cannot imagine the earlier looks being flawlessy describes and implemented within 24 hours without any missteps.

It's fine to be critical of the new things. But apply the same criticism to the old situation aswell.

Lilofan

Exactly. These new non-standards (that Disney can't even manage properly on day one) just greatly widened the available labor pool.

A larger labor pool depresses current and future wage growth, and also helps depress the benefits that Disney must offer to maintain that labor pool.

Lowering standards only widens the pool of available labor, which lowers wages. Meanwhile, some Disney employees are celebrating this change and acting like showing off their giant tats during their Fantasyland shifts just improved their standard of living and proves their company loves them. It does the exact opposite where it really counts; their bank account.

It's one of the first pics of a new rule. Judgement day comes early ...

Give it some time and let things be. Grant them some time to moderate. What is and what isn't acceptable? Maybe his manager will have a chat that his tattoo is too visible and he'll continue to work with long sleeves.

Tattoo's aren't comparable to sunglassed (Never though I had to mention this.)
The old look had some clear and some unclear rules aswell. Not everything can be detailled down as sunglasses or the number of rings you can or cannot wear. I cannot imagine the earlier looks being flawlessy describes and implemented within 24 hours without any missteps.

It's fine to be critical of the new things. But apply the same criticism to the old situation aswell.
tattoo-jpg.549362

As expected, the "no larger than the size of your hand" rule is being completely ignored and/or managed very poorly. :(

In his defense, you could make a valid argument that each letter is a separate tat and thus he's got at least five different tats there that are all smaller than the size of his hand.

The rules on visible tats are very vague and a mile wide and subject to broad interpretation. For whatever reason, Disney didn't want to put the same amount of thought into the tattoo rules as they do the sunglasses rules.

This is nothing but the sudden and dramatic lowering of standards. It's not a change for the better. For anyone, employees or customers.
Just give it time. TWDC promotes from within their ranks. The future managers will be sporting their tattoos proudly.

TrainsOfDisney

So the same question for you: what's magical for how? how high must the standard be? what flaws can't be overlooked? And at what cost?
What led me to fall in love with Disney is the attention to details and the obsession with high quality.

Ideally the standards would be as high as Disney set them originally. Actually, I’d prefer even higher standards such as equity actors on jungle cruise.

What do you mean at what cost? Disney should provide the best and most polished experience possible at whatever cost. If they are going to spend $100 million on an exposed track kiddie coaster I expect them to be willing to pay an extra few dollars an hour if that’s what it takes to hire CM’s who will follow the Disney Look.

RunningKoen

Exactly. These new non-standards (that Disney can't even manage properly on day one) just greatly widened the available labor pool.

A larger labor pool depresses current and future wage growth, and also helps depress the benefits that Disney must offer to maintain that labor pool.

Lowering standards only widens the pool of available labor, which lowers wages. Meanwhile, some Disney employees are celebrating this change and acting like showing off their giant tats during their Fantasyland shifts just improved their standard of living and proves their company loves them. It does the exact opposite where it really counts; their bank account.
Please help me with the labor pool argument. I've seen it before and I fail to get it.

How does these things intertwine?

The cast member you're so heavily marking down was most likely already working there, so the old rules didnt prevent him from working for Disney. Unless he's the first of a brand new wave of people who same the news and though 'This is it, I always wanted to work at Disney but I didnt want to cover up my tattoo.'

If you ask me: The people who benefit the most from this all is the current cast. Not the cast who will or will not start working there.

Indy_UK

It will boost CM morale for a few weeks and then it will be business as usual.

They’re still going to be on minimum wage, sleeping in their cars etc.

I am totally on board with the inclusion key and embracing people more from different backgrounds, religions, sexualities as that’s the right thing to do.

This relaxation in the ‘Disney look’ has far more upset me than any price hike or service cut could ever make. I know I’m in the minority but I just feel it’s the Disney difference that I wasn’t willing to loose.

RunningKoen

What led me to fall in love with Disney is the attention to details and the obsession with high quality.

Ideally the standards would be as high as Disney set them originally. Actually, I’d prefer even higher standards such as equity actors on jungle cruise.

What do you mean at what cost? Disney should provide the best and most polished experience possible at whatever cost. If they are going to spend $100 million on an exposed track kiddie coaster I expect them to be willing to pay an extra few dollars an hour if that’s what it takes to hire CM’s who will follow the Disney Look.
And how is a CM with a tattoo not high quality? As I fail to a link with the hiring of future cast, I cannot personally imagine how the look of a CM can so heavily influence the perception of quality. When I read some of the reactions, I get a feeling that some people feel like the world is doomed suddenly.

There's an aspect of personal cost.

Asking all your employees to hide tattoo's, limit down on jewelry etc is a thing.

Decoration our body, in whatever way, can be part of human culture and expression. Its something of all ages.
There's an entire Disney hero full with tattoo's. There's merchandise of a guy in a skirt. Yet the cast must be held to a 1950 standard of society for the few people who consider this specific thing as part of quality?

TP2000

Please help me with the labor pool argument. I've seen it before and I fail to get it.

It's a basic component of free market economics and capitalism.

When the unemployment rate is low and employers can't readily find employees to fill shifts, wages rise quickly to pull in a wider labor pool from which to choose from. (See 2018-2019 as the most recent example, when this country had the lowest unemployment it's seen in over 50 years; wages were rising fast.)

When the unemployment rate is high, more employees are looking for work and employers are flooded with applications and employers don't have to offer higher wages and more benefits to hire employees to fill the shifts. Wages stagnate.

Disney has just expanded its pool of available labor. There are many more people who will now apply for these entry-level jobs than in the past because they don't have to worry about their long hair or their tats, or put up with rules that prohibit them.

A smaller labor pool creates higher wages. A larger labor pool creates lower wages. This is a basic rule of economics.

RunningKoen

It will boost CM morale for a few weeks and then it will be business as usual.

They’re still going to be on minimum wage, sleeping in their cars etc.

I am totally on board with the inclusion key and embracing people more from different backgrounds, religions, sexualities as that’s the right thing to do.

This relaxation in the ‘Disney look’ has far more upset me than any price hike or service cut could ever make. I know I’m in the minority but I just feel it’s the Disney difference that I wasn’t willing to loose.

Being able to express oneself is (essential) part of inclusion.

How can you embrace people with a different background (in any way) if there's so little room to express a background.

They will not start hiring a brand new cast. They are letting the current cast show their background more. You've already been served by those with another background. You might just have missed it (because it doesnt matter for the quality of their job)

Maybe one of your favorite CM's is gay. Something you couldnt notice before with the sleeve down, but there's small subtle rainbow tattoo.

This change also makes it possible to connect easier with a CM. I would compliment the already much hated fantasy guy, because his tattoo is very awesome. I would instantly appreciate him more, because I can understand him. I like Harry Potter and he captured so much of the legacy so beautifully. (and I don't mind thinkg/talking about Harry Potter in Main Street)

RunningKoen

It's a basic component of free market economics and capitalism.

When the unemployment rate is low and employers can't readily find employees to fill shifts, wages rise quickly to pull in a wider labor pool from which to choose from. (See 2018-2019 as the most recent example, when this country had the lowest unemployment it's seen in over 50 years; wages were rising fast.)

When the unemployment rate is high, more employees are looking for work and employers are flooded with applications and employers don't have to offer higher wages and more benefits to hire employees to fill the shifts. Wages stagnate.

Disney has just expanded its pool of available labor. There are many more people who will now apply for these entry-level jobs than in the past because they don't have to worry about their long hair or their tats, or put up with rules that prohibit them.

A smaller labor pool creates higher wages. A larger labor pool creates lower wages. This is a basic rule of economics.
Aren't most entry levels outside of the parks and/or not restricted by the look?

Edit: I knew this basic btw. I am just not sure if there are thousands and thousands of people wanted to working at disney but felt restricted by the old look. Will the increase of labor pool be so great to trigger this effect?

Last edited:

TalkingHead

Being able to express oneself is (essential) part of inclusion.

How can you embrace people with a different background (in any way) if there's so little room to express a background.

They will not start hiring a brand new cast. They are letting the current cast show their background more. You've already been served by those with another background. You might just have missed it (because it doesnt matter for the quality of their job)

Maybe one of your favorite CM's is gay. Something you couldnt notice before with the sleeve down, but there's small subtle rainbow tattoo.

This change also makes it possible to connect easier with a CM. I would compliment the already much hated fantasy guy, because his tattoo is very awesome. I would instantly appreciate him more, because I can understand him. I like Harry Potter and he captured so much of the legacy so beautifully. (and I don't mind thinkg/talking about Harry Potter in Main Street)
How would you feel about a CM sporting a Trump tattoo? Keeping things at a professional level between customers and employees can have advantages, too.

TP2000

Here in SoCal, we have In-N-Out Burger which is famous for it's meticulously clean cut and well groomed employees that match its spotless restaurants. In-N-Out employees have no visible tats, men must have short hair, no facial hair, no piercings, no wild finger nail polish, and very modest makeup for ladies; a look that is reminiscent of Disney's theme park employees in the 1960's to 1990's.

In-N-Out Burger always pays several dollars more per hour than Disneyland does. Disneyland starts at $15 an hour now, one dollar above California minimum wage (that increases to $15 an hour in 8 months). But In-N-Out starts at $18 to $19 an hour at burger stands just a few blocks from Disneyland.

In-N-Out Burger has very high standards for grooming and appearance, but they have to pay their employees quite a bit more to get and maintain those higher standards. And it really shows.

1201-bus-in-n-out-02.jpg

Caleb-In-Out-DSC_5344-LT.max-640x480.jpg

You have to be good, and look the part, to get a job at In-N-Out with their $18+ starting wages in SoCal. You don't have to look this good or abide by these tough standards to get a job at McDonald's or Wal-Mart for minimum wage.

I'm surprised at how few CM's realize this basic rule of economics is a part of this latest lowering of standards for Disney employees.

Many of the CM's posting here seem to have bought into the "Inclusion" angle from their company hook, line and sinker. When in reality, all they are doing is helping to depress current and future wage growth for themselves and future Disney employees.

I'm not saying this is the entire reason for these changes, but it's a very big part of the reason. CM's seem far too willing to just ignore basic economics and instead say "Woohoo! I can now show all my gorgeous tats in Fantasyland! Disney loves me now!" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lilofan

Yikes. Just yikes. This is a ridiculous and totally unnecessary comment. There are thousands guests in the parks with visible tattoos every day. Mind explaining why you singled out the NBA? Very bizarre.

I absolutely cannot believe people care that much about this. If this change actually will impact your park experience (seriously???) that’s just ... really sad.
Its a comment and that's it on an open forum. I did not single out the NBA, just stating a fact. Welcome to the forum and your first post!

RunningKoen

How would you feel about a CM sporting a Trump tattoo? Keeping things at a professional level between customers and employees can have advantages, too.
I wouldn't mind at all. You do not have to engage on everything you see. I'll gigle, think of some good jokes or onelines that I wont use and mostly feel sorry for that guy :)

Watching people is literally something I could do all day.
Silenty judging other guest can be quite entertaining. Adding the CM's to that can be fun aswell.

GrumpyFan

I think it may come down to some past perceptions and stereotypes of people with tattoos. Some believe that people with tattoos tend to be more expressive, risk takers, and less conservative and respectful of rules. Many employers in the past (and some still do) held to these stereotypes and avoided hiring candidates with tattoos, depending on the type of role they were to fill, especially in more professional roles. By this standard, it would mean that there would be a segment of the population that were unable to be employed for some professional roles, leaving them to have to go for lower paying roles.

I don't know personally if this is still the case, or what the labor pool makeup is of individuals with tattoos, but I think that sentiment may tie in with the above (outdated?) perceptions. I have a hard time believing that's the case though, since the prevalence and acceptance of tattoos has grown in our society.

TalkingHead

I wouldn't mind at all. You do not have to engage on everything you see. I'll gigle, think of some good jokes or onelines that I wont use and mostly feel sorry for that guy :)

Watching people is literally something I could do all day.
Silenty judging other guest can be quite entertaining. Adding the CM's to that can be fun aswell.
But from Disney's POV it would be beneficial if guests weren't given reason to silently judge CMs. Not to mention this is all stemming from an Inclusivity initiative. Isn't that sorta missing the point?

disneygeek90

Its a comment and that's it on an open forum. I did not single out the NBA, just stating a fact. Welcome to the forum and your first post!
To be fair, it was a pretty weird comment. If a cast member wanted to visit the NBA experience outside of work hours, they have always been able to do so. Exposing a Harry Potter tattoo on your arm doesn't mean you're suddenly a huge NBA fan.

Last edited:

Lilofan

To be fair, it was a pretty weird comment. If a cast member wanted to visit the NBA experience outside of work hours, they have always been able to do so. Expositing a Harry Potter tattoo on your arm doesn't mean you're suddenly a huge NBA fan.
You are missing the point. Cast members working at NBA sporting tattoos can match the NBA players that sport tattoos covered all over their arms, chest etc.

dreday3

One place the cast members will feel right at home sporting their tattoos or new tattoos is at the NBA Experience at Disney Springs since a number of NBA players have tattoos from head to toe.

What a ridiculous comment. I wonder what you are implying.
'
They'd also be at home with a lot of the military or veterans.

A lot of chefs.

A lot of people in bands.

A lot of doctors/nurses.

A lot of executives.

A lot of stay at home moms.

A lot of teachers.

A lot of the human race.

Me.

RunningKoen

But from Disney's POV it would be beneficial if guests weren't given reason to silently judge CMs. Not to mention this is all stemming from an Inclusivity initiative. Isn't that sorta missing the point?
Well, being able to express such personal opinions is part of inclusitviy, I'd say. Having the option to disagree is also part of that.

I do not have to agree to give, but still give someone else the room to express things :)

Room for more expression has its ups and downs. Having less room for that has also its ups and downs (like judging if someone fits well enough. Or if someone looks professionals.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom