WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

icc2515

Not saying they are going to be closed til 2021 but it's odd to see Disney not coming out denying those news reports. Disney has been very quiet during this whole thing.
I agree with you on this. Disney needs to release at least some new information.

mhaftman7

Not to incite a DVC riot, but there is no way for ANY of us to know the actual severity this will cause. It will be a large, but not insurmountable obstacle. From my understanding, DVC points hold a three-year usable window. I would imagine that the number of points lost in the expiring category are minimal compared to points returned to the current or next year categories.

To say the line starts at DVC is most likely not as accurate as most would think. DVC and AP people tend to not generate as much profit due to deep discounts for their continued patronage.

Granted this falls into the “Not my money” category, but wouldn’t the easiest solution be to first offer current and future year points to return later this year and to offer an equivalently valued gift card to expired points. Yes the total value of gift cards issued would be in the hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions, but that money would be re-invested in return trips. One could make the case that Disney prefers the gift card route as it could increase the likelihood of higher than usual “spending“ from its DVC guests.

I know, I know. The DVC Avengers are going to Assemble and fight me but not all the points “lost” during the pandemic are truly lost. Is it unfortunate and unfair to the ones who lost a years worth of points. Definitely. I just don’t see how this becomes the nightmare scenario some make it out to be. If the points “lost” are current or future year points, just reschedule. Yes, the availability may be tighter until the end of the year or even until the beginning of next year, but the points are on the owner to use appropriately.

I am not DVC, but I know many people who are. Not one has told me they are concerned about this or that they think legal action may/will be required. Do I think Disney will go out of their way to accommodate DVC as much as possible? Definitely. Do I think the prioritization will be far more geared towards DVC? Not in the slightest. Maybe towards actually lost expired points, but to think this will cause a DVC revolution seems a little silly.

“There’s a great, big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!”

See ya real soon, folks!

Jrb1979

FWIW, the earliest confirmed death in the US is now Feb. 7. The autopsy results weren’t released until this week. Not a travel-related case, either. https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Exclusive-Autopsy-report-of-first-known-15226422.php

There are plenty of reasons for that. For one, denying one financial analyst’s speculation makes the story live longer. Also, any reporter’s follow-up question to such a denial would be “when are you reopening?” And Disney doesn’t have an answer to that yet.

Universal did not announce plans for reopening, they’ve just floated ideas publicly, along with a guest survey leaking out.

Of course Disney wants to reopen as soon as they get the OK to do so. They don’t need to release a statement saying something so obvious.
Its still more then Disney is doing.

mk1971

Not saying they are going to be closed til 2021 but it's odd to see Disney not coming out denying those news reports. Disney has been very quiet during this whole thing. Where as Universal has announced some of the plans for reopening and mentioning how they want to open soon.

I think they still don't know exactly when they will reopen, so they prefer to stay silent than to give us an estimate that may not happen. Also, I think most of their PR cast members are furloughed...

Hawg G

Only to intelligent folks who have seen the antibody numbers, and ran the calls on when this really started hitting us.

EpcotCentre1982

I think they still don't know exactly when they will reopen, so they prefer to stay silent than to give us an estimate that may not happen. Also, I think most of their PR cast members are furloughed...
True. Thinking them saying until further notice leaves it open for them than selecting a time frame. Why give people their hopes up if it gets extended over and over.
Plus I would think it makes it harder to come with a plan for world than it does for land. World relies on vacationers and land with aps and daily guests.

icc2515

Like what? “We don’t know anything new”?
Yep, that would be great. Now of course it would need to phrased in a different way that one of their PR people could put together. More like "At this time we are still preparing for a June 1st opening" I mean you can still make a reservation for June 1st. I would hope that if they had no plans to open on June 1st they could say something else. I also believe that they could respond to the articles stating that they are going to be closed until 2021. They have no plans on being closed till then. DVC just made an announcement on points being returned for use years April and June if you had a reservation with expiring points. This leads me to believe that they plan on opening in 2020 as I don't think that they would want to add 3/4 of a years points into 2021. I am sure that many people have kids asking them 10 times per day are we still going to Disney in June. If Disney has no intention of opening on June 1st then they should do the right thing and make an announcement. They won't even announce the cancellation of cruises beyond May 17 (June 7th for Disney Magic) even though the CDC has closed the ports till mid July. Disney needs to engage their customers at this time. So yes I do believe that Disney should have a PR release every Friday stating what things have not changed and any little tidbit that has changed. Bob can have his assistant Bob write it up.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep, that would be great. Now of course it would need to phrased in a different way that one of their PR people could put together. More like "At this time we are still preparing for a June 1st opening" I mean you can still make a reservation for June 1st. I would hope that if they had no plans to open on June 1st they could say something else..
They don’t want to announce something they may later regret?

Jrb1979

Did you think about that may still be an option?
Part of me thinks no theme parks will open til late this year. Its going to take a lot of work to implement physical distancing measures. That's a lot of major changes that Disney has to do.

peter11435

I think there are still a lot of people expect the parks to reopen in June. Forget about the real possibility that it will stay closed for the remainder of 2020
I don’t think the parks will reopen in June. But I also think it’s highly unlikely they will be closed for the remainder of 2020. Of course this is why Disney is remaining silent. There truly is no way for anyone including them to know at this point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am on the phone with DVC member services right now. I wanted to modify my trip. The CM said that the parks are scheduled to open June 15. They may not open then, but they will not open before June 15. Magic Kingdom area is the ONLY area that will be open. Magic KIngdom will be the only park open. This will be Phase one. They will open other parks as they see how Phase one goes.

There will be NO FAST PASSES, NO CHARACTER MEETINGS AND VERY LIMITED RESTAURANTS. There will be a "digital registry" for rides. Again, MK is the only park opening JUne 15 until later phases.

He (the CM) also said that EPCOT will be the LAST park to open. I am on hold right now getting my OTU points refunded.

I have never had a CM (during this closure) be so candid and forthright with information.

i am on hold so if you ask quickly then i may can get your question in to him.

Walt Disney World and Disneyland Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

If what this poster "Karen4546" is saying is true, it kind of lines up with what WDWPro has said, no?
Whoever and wherever all that came from...it’s completely rogue
No way any CM is giving any accurate information about opening without there having been some kind of official announcement.
Yeah...this is bus driver caliber

In chess, the queen controls the strategy on the board...not the pawns

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not to incite a DVC riot, but there is no way for ANY of us to know the actual severity this will cause. It will be a large, but not insurmountable obstacle. From my understanding, DVC points hold a three-year usable window. I would imagine that the number of points lost in the expiring category are minimal compared to points returned to the current or next year categories.

To say the line starts at DVC is most likely not as accurate as most would think. DVC and AP people tend to not generate as much profit due to deep discounts for their continued patronage.

Granted this falls into the “Not my money” category, but wouldn’t the easiest solution be to first offer current and future year points to return later this year and to offer an equivalently valued gift card to expired points. Yes the total value of gift cards issued would be in the hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions, but that money would be re-invested in return trips. One could make the case that Disney prefers the gift card route as it could increase the likelihood of higher than usual “spending“ from its DVC guests.

I know, I know. The DVC Avengers are going to Assemble and fight me but not all the points “lost” during the pandemic are truly lost. Is it unfortunate and unfair to the ones who lost a years worth of points. Definitely. I just don’t see how this becomes the nightmare scenario some make it out to be. If the points “lost” are current or future year points, just reschedule. Yes, the availability may be tighter until the end of the year or even until the beginning of next year, but the points are on the owner to use appropriately.

I am not DVC, but I know many people who are. Not one has told me they are concerned about this or that they think legal action may/will be required. Do I think Disney will go out of their way to accommodate DVC as much as possible? Definitely. Do I think the prioritization will be far more geared towards DVC? Not in the slightest. Maybe towards actually lost expired points, but to think this will cause a DVC revolution seems a little silly.

“There’s a great, big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!”

See ya real soon, folks!
I will say based on my past experience - and that’s work experience - I thought they would heavily use DVC to try and regain financial momentum and “normalcy” as easily as possible.

From the early indication - I was dead WRONG.
It’s more the opposite tact...using is as an experiment to see if DVC will go along with anything and let them not really stress a massive timeshare program.

I don’t have a good analogy...but I want to say it’s like a dealer knowing his clients have no real ability to resist coming back. “Customer service” is a moot point in that scenario.

Very interesting times. My original thought when this started after recognizing the problem was to ask how much would Disney have to do to keep selling DVC? As in they have already abused it for 10 years to increase all prices associated across the board to the extreme.

So my preliminary take is they are not worried about it and don’t look to do anything in this time to promote future sells.

That means it’s the DVC consumers fault...100%. Stop running in there and buying over and over again without thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom