WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disstevefan1

I agree...

The difference is Disney may be the least likely timeshare on earth to invoke “tough luck”...
Longterm repercussions.

You can’t sell yourself as an elite, one of a kind timeshare (they even reject the term) and then send “sorry” letters like vistana.

I am not even a DVC owner but I think folks should not lose points because Disney made the decision to close the resorts, something not in the owners control.

I really hope Disney does the right thing. It even could be used to their advantage; reinstate points and they must be used shortly after the reopening of WDW to stimulate visitation.

Boy, I never thought I’d ever use “WDW” and “stimulate visitation” in the same sentence....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am not even a DVC owner but I think folks should not lose points because Disney made the decision to close the resorts, something not in the owners control.

I really hope Disney does the right thing. It even could be used to their advantage; reinstate points and they must be used shortly after the reopening of WDW to stimulate visitation.

Boy, I never thought I’d ever use “WDW” and “stimulate visitation” in the same sentence....
Lol...you’re dead on...good take

jensenrick

Exactly! Every person will need to make the decision for themselves if they are comfortable with the risk of going to a theme park (or theater or club or sporting event, etc.). The reality is the park experience will be very different for awhile and Disney will never be able to eliminate the risk completely - both out of their control. That is why we all have to decide for ourselves - both health, comfort and value wise.

No matter when Disney opens and no matter what they do, many many people will feel they should have done something different. Disney is right now only primarily concerned about the average guest feeling comfortable enough to visit as that will drive the attendance trend probably for the rest of this year. They know they will not be targeting the people that would have no interest in visiting during the course of the pandemic. So by nature of this, it will only attract the people that are willing to accept some risk and the ones that feel there is no risk. Disney just wants to figure out where that "comfort" level is for people for now and operate accordingly.

Unfortunately, some people say they are willing to accept some risk- right up until something bad happens, then they are on speed dial to their lawyers. (Not everyone of course, but some) OTOH, I still think it would be hard to prove (in a court of law) that you got "it" at Disney, and no other place on your way to or from.

icc2515

I think that they plan on opening Disney World, at least the DVC resorts on June 1st. I just received and email saying that if you had a reservation from March 12 till the end of the closure they would extend those points for 1 year and 6 month for borrowed points. I cannot imagine that they would do that if they planned on opening in 2021. I figured that this did not affect that many owners overall and it only included 2 use years (so far) and a couple of months (so far). Plus most owners try to not make reservations in the last couple of months of their use year unless they absolutely have to. But they would never be able to do this if they planned on being closed 3/4 of the year. Too many points to flood the system. All my opinion, for what it's worth and it's not worth much.

Now this does not mean that they have to open the parks or even the Disney resorts. Contract wise they have to open the DVC resorts as soon as possible after the state of emergency has been lifted.

Last edited:

Getachew

I am on the phone with DVC member services right now. I wanted to modify my trip. The CM said that the parks are scheduled to open June 15. They may not open then, but they will not open before June 15. Magic Kingdom area is the ONLY area that will be open. Magic KIngdom will be the only park open. This will be Phase one. They will open other parks as they see how Phase one goes.

There will be NO FAST PASSES, NO CHARACTER MEETINGS AND VERY LIMITED RESTAURANTS. There will be a "digital registry" for rides. Again, MK is the only park opening JUne 15 until later phases.

He (the CM) also said that EPCOT will be the LAST park to open. I am on hold right now getting my OTU points refunded.

I have never had a CM (during this closure) be so candid and forthright with information.

i am on hold so if you ask quickly then i may can get your question in to him.

Walt Disney World and Disneyland Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

If what this poster "Karen4546" is saying is true, it kind of lines up with what WDWPro has said, no?

Disstevefan1

Do the bus drivers count as cast members, because I’ve heard some duzies from them. That said, although I was sticking to my June 1 opinion, June 15 also seems reasonable.

surfsupdon

All I can say is think 1971...

- MK
- Contemporary
- Poly
- FW

with a little pop century mixed in for good measure.
We are getting nearer to this timeframe with each passing day. And we are booked at BoardWalk with ADRs all over but NOT at a single location mentioned above. If this were true, shouldn’t Disney tell us now so we can make adjustments :)

tecowdw

Original Poster
IDK - I was optimistic for June. The more I think about the complications of opening WDW, the more I wonder how it will even be possible any time this summer. The potential diminished ability to do anything in order to abide by social distancing just seems so insurmountable.
o_O
Ho hum...having a COVID induced mental down day, I think..

Lilofan

I am on the phone with DVC member services right now. I wanted to modify my trip. The CM said that the parks are scheduled to open June 15. They may not open then, but they will not open before June 15. Magic Kingdom area is the ONLY area that will be open. Magic KIngdom will be the only park open. This will be Phase one. They will open other parks as they see how Phase one goes.

There will be NO FAST PASSES, NO CHARACTER MEETINGS AND VERY LIMITED RESTAURANTS. There will be a "digital registry" for rides. Again, MK is the only park opening JUne 15 until later phases.

He (the CM) also said that EPCOT will be the LAST park to open. I am on hold right now getting my OTU points refunded.

I have never had a CM (during this closure) be so candid and forthright with information.

If what this poster "Karen4546" is saying is true, it kind of lines up with what WDWPro has said, no?
This is a click bait rumor. I called DVC member services. Nothing can be farther from the truth. Cast will not confirm any information except to take reservations after June 1 which can be refunded if the parks don't open.

Touchdown

Testing is finally ramping up in this country, but we still have a way to go. I can’t see Disney opening before Phase 3. I think June becomes more unlikely by the day. I just can’t see them getting enough suckers, I mean customers to buy into paying a premium for a reduced experience.

August/Labor Day looks more likely to me as a grand opening (and I mean all 4 parks) at this point.

Getachew

This is a click bait rumor. I called DVC member services. Nothing can be farther from the truth. Cast will not confirm any information except to take reservations after June 1 which can be refunded if the parks don't open.

thanks for confirming. I figured it was click bait, but found it interesting because it was comparable to what WDWPro was asserting.

Bill in Atlanta

100% Disney has access to the top experts in the field. They don't want to reopen just to close again in a month or two. Even worse, reopen and have an outbreak on property which leads terrible press and will damage their brand far worse than remaining closed a few more months.
If I’m Disney, and I’m trying to figure out the chances that opening in June/July will lead to an outbreak in the parks... do I get any added confidence knowing that the parks were slammed all of January, February, and half of March, and yet, as best we can tell, there wasn’t a major outbreak among the staff or central FL in general?

Does that enter into the calculus at all?

Jrb1979

If I’m Disney, and I’m trying to figure out the chances that opening in June/July will lead to an outbreak in the parks... do I get any added confidence knowing that the parks were slammed all of January, February, and half of March, and yet, as best we can tell, there wasn’t a major outbreak among the staff or central FL in general?

I doubt it. Only cause testing wasn't happening much then so we will never know. Regardless of when they open I expect social distancing measures in place.

WDW Pro

A cast member who relayed unofficial information like that would be immediately terminated. Just because I reveal potential plans for reopening does not mean it is current, announced policy.

Getachew

A cast member who relayed unofficial information like that would be immediately terminated. Just because I reveal potential plans for reopening does not mean it is current, announced policy.

Yeah, I get that. It was the similarities that were interesting.

TrojanUSC

No, because despite some anecdotal evidence (people remembering a bad cold or flu), it is still believed the first deaths of COVID-19 happened in mid-February on the west coast. They were lucky but as is evidence from all the factories that are closing because of huge outbreaks, this could very easily spread in the workplace.

Jrb1979

Not saying they are going to be closed til 2021 but it's odd to see Disney not coming out denying those news reports. Disney has been very quiet during this whole thing. Where as Universal has announced some of the plans for reopening and mentioning how they want to open soon.

DeletedAccount55555

No, because despite some anecdotal evidence (people remembering a bad cold or flu), it is still believed the first deaths of COVID-19 happened in mid-February on the west coast. They were lucky but as is evidence from all the factories that are closing because of huge outbreaks, this could very easily spread in the workplace.

FWIW, the earliest confirmed death in the US is now Feb. 7. The autopsy results weren’t released until this week. Not a travel-related case, either. https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Exclusive-Autopsy-report-of-first-known-15226422.php

Not saying they are going to be closed til 2021 but it's odd to see Disney not coming out denying those news reports. Disney has been very quiet during this whole thing. Where as Universal has announced some of the plans for reopening and mentioning how they want to open soon.

There are plenty of reasons for that. For one, denying one financial analyst’s speculation makes the story live longer. Also, any reporter’s follow-up question to such a denial would be “when are you reopening?” And Disney doesn’t have an answer to that yet.

Universal did not announce plans for reopening, they’ve just floated ideas publicly, along with a guest survey leaking out.

Of course Disney wants to reopen as soon as they get the OK to do so. They don’t need to release a statement saying something so obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom