News Roger E. Broggie overhaul

JoeCamel

At this rate as long as these are still steam powered I don’t mind the upgrades. It still hurts to see steam locomotives be converted to diesel power; Six Flags Over Georgia and PortAventura in Spain did such in 2005 and the 2010s, respectively.
I thought they ran this fleet on biodiesel?

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Technically they aren’t wrong and many tourist rr’s and museums often are in violation of osha rules.
There seems to be a good many tourist railroads and museums that run steam that still use water towers and/or spouts, but a lot just run a hose (about the size of a fire hose) that connects directly to the bottom of the tank/tender.

This now makes me wonder how they’re gonna do the behind the scenes tour
When Roger went to Strasburg and they moved Roy to Main Street, Lilly became the tour locomotive. So while it was brief, they already have some experience doing the tour with a computerized locomotive.

once that starts up again.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't restarted it already. And by surprised I mean disappointed 😞
I don’t expect it to return, unfortunately. Glad I did it when I had the chance.

TrainsOfDisney

There seems to be a good many tourist railroads and museums that run steam that still use water towers and/or spouts, but a lot just run a hose (about the size of a fire hose) that connects directly to the bottom of the tank/tender.
Yes I’ve seen it done that way at a few locations.

My favorite is the Henry Ford museum in Michigan - they have a water tower, water spout, AND the only regularly used coal tower. Usually once a day they use the coal tower to fill the tender - it’s so cool!

disneytrain2001

For sure! Lilly's in particular was just a different tone than Walters and Rogers. Those two I honestly couldn't tell apart but if Lily or Roy was approaching the station I could easily call it. And it was fun to do. Here comes number four Roy. And I guess we just look at you and then realize " Oh my god how did you know?"
You need to understand that I have autism, which means I'm very detail oriented by looking carefully at the whistles and identify its appearance, chamber shapes, sound, and what type of different brand they came from.

Last edited:

disneytrain2001

I wonder why Tweetsie decided to paint it that way...the Disney era colors are much better in my opinion. Part of me is also still wondering who wanted to change the tender and text design on Roger; the changes make Roger stand out a lot.
Maybe they're out of Disney dark green color. :/

dtng2000

Not necessarily - the ones in Atlanta they referred to are direct drive I believe.
Six Flags Over Georgia uses diesel hydraulic power. But I think the drive wheels on the locomotive are still active, similar to what you said, unlike most other steam outlines where the tender is pushing the locomotive.

disneytrain2001

And if you wanna talk about people being hard on the trainee/overreacting about the incident, haven’t you been a little hard on the trainee/overreacted about the incident yourself?
No, I'm not mad with the trainee who have accidentally spin Lilly's wheels, I was mad with those inconsiderate and over-reacting jerks on Twitter not giving her a chance to prove herself to be worthy as an engineer. Anyways, I'm glad the trainee learned her lesson after that little wheel slipping incident because I know it was only an accident, which almost backfired! 😬

Last edited:

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Going over the original concept art for the locomotives. Here’s Roger’s

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

Roger was originally supposed to be the 2-6-0, which was reassigned to be the Lilly Belle. Today, the 2-6-0 looks exactly the same as its original concept art, with exception to the name & number change and the sanders.

TrainsOfDisney

So then I would assume the 4-4-0 ultimately would have been Lilly Belle unless there was another name planned at the time.
Which would have made perfect sense - since the actual Lilly Belle Locomotive was a 4-4-0! Would have been incredible to label the tender Carolwood Pacific

dtng2000

I actually now wonder if the bell on the Liberty Belle was Roger’s original bell before the swap. I know that there was a bell swap since Roger hated the old bell on the locomotive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom