News Roger E. Broggie overhaul

TrainsOfDisney

if Roger and Walter can have a cleaner look why not Lilly?!
It’s the spacing of the drivers probably but there’s a lot wrong about that picture.

There shouldn’t be cables dangling like that in front of a driver, and that should NEVER have been cleared to operate like that.

dtng2000

It’s the spacing of the drivers probably but there’s a lot wrong about that picture.

There shouldn’t be cables dangling like that in front of a driver, and that should NEVER have been cleared to operate like that.
Just remember that this was from back when the train was on display at Main Street. I hope they fixed the mess prior to reopening but I haven’t found any good pics.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Just remember that this was from back when the train was on display at Main Street. I hope they fixed the mess prior to reopening but I haven’t found any good pics.
I just checked my close ups of Lilly running in 2018 and the wires/cables were dangling the same way.

disneytrain2001

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Why is it that they use a garden hose from Home Depot instead of the actual water tower at New Orleans Square?
Same reason the WDW crew uses that odd setup with the pole - “safety” reasons.

Technically they aren’t wrong and many tourist rr’s and museums often are in violation of osha rules.

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah, why can't they add a wheel on the NOS water tower to lower the spout just the like WDWRR's Fantasyland water tower?
I’m not 100% sure but I think the issue is that there are different types of locomotives at DLRR so the spout needs to be adjusted more - at WDW all the tenders are the same so they can have one setting.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Same reason the WDW crew uses that odd setup with the pole - “safety” reasons.
Not sure as to when the pole method was implemented. I’ve only seen them take on water a handful of times in person, but when I have, they didn’t use it.

I’m not 100% sure but I think the issue is that there are different types of locomotives at DLRR so the spout needs to be adjusted more - at WDW all the tenders are the same so they can have one setting.
Was the water tower ever functional? (My guess is yes, back in the day)

TrainsOfDisney

Not sure as to when the pole method was implemented. I’ve only seen them take on water a handful of times in person, but when I have, they didn’t use it.
Oh, I wonder if they don’t need it anymore? The pole was used to open the door on the tender.
Oh yes, I remember seeing it used, can’t remember the exact time frame.

dtng2000

At this rate as long as these are still steam powered I don’t mind the upgrades. It still hurts to see steam locomotives be converted to diesel power; Six Flags Over Georgia and PortAventura in Spain did such in 2005 and the 2010s, respectively.

Disone

At New Orleans square? Absolutely yes it was functional. It wasn't all that long ago either. I think within the last 10 years it was functional. I won't swear to it though.
At this rate as long as these are still steam powered I don’t mind the upgrades. It still hurts to see steam locomotives be converted to diesel power; Six Flags Over Georgia and PortAventura in Spain did such in 2005 and the 2010s, respectively.
I also think Lily was the first to get the box so maybe they actually agree with the comments here. It just doesn't look good and they found a better way to do it on Walter and duplicated that with Roger since their twins.

The box has something to do with the autoignite system. For all the engines except for Roy who hasn't been refurbished yet, and yes I realized that's happening now, they no longer need to use a fire glove to light and oil soaked cloth on fire and then throw it in to the boiler to ignite the boiler. Although honestly, how cool was it that that was still how they were doing it up until now. Was a great part of the behind the steams tour that is no longer a thing.

Anyhow the box is part of the system that allows for automation of relighting of the boiler. It will also shut down the boiler if the parameters are off.

dtng2000

This now makes me wonder how they’re gonna do the behind the scenes tour once that starts up again. However I don’t see too much changes.

Disone

This now makes me wonder how they’re gonna do the behind the scenes tour once that starts up again. However I don’t see too much changes.
I'm kind of surprised they haven't restarted it already. And by surprised I mean disappointed 😞

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom