The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

PiratesMansion

We are hearing her through the labor union voice. We may be missing a few facts about her life and labor conditions.
100%. We are hearing about her situation through one specific lens. There are likely to be inaccuracies in both directions, as that's the nature of these sorts of reports. That said, I tend to trust the workers on the ground over the higher ups to understand what the situation is really like on the ground.

But the single source and the knowledge of potentially missing information is not stopping people from rampantly speculating on how little she's doing to better her lot in life, and how easy it would be for her situation to be immediately easier if she just tried a little harder to go somewhere else.

CaptinEO

It's not what you literally said, but is it not what you implied?
That is not what I wanted to imply, may be a case of how text is reading vs what an in person conversation would be.
So there's no responsibility for the government, community, family members, etc. to assist those who are struggling or may not be aware of the resources that exist out there?
There is responsibility for lots of entities, I just don't have full reliance in all these systems helping people out and encourage people to do what they can to be self reliant.
But then you undercut those same things by still basically blaming these people for their lot in life, and put all of the fault on the individual.
Some people to get a bad deck of cards stacked against them in life, but I don't see their local governments going to bat for them. So at the end of the day only they can help themselves.
While I agree, education requires time and money, something you seem to be assuming everyone has, when that is not the case.
I mentioned loans, employer funded education programs, and slowly doing online course work already.
Perhaps this is a personal failing, but I understand, to some extent, why some people refuse good advice. For one, advice is often given when it's not solicited, or the advice is outdated, condescending, or otherwise not delivered well. People think they can just throw advice in the air like confetti and it will automatically reach its intended target and have its intended effect, unless the person is a moron, but effective advice is:
1) advice the person receiving it is actually receptive to. This is key. If the person you're giving advice to isn't ready to hear it, there's a 99% chance the other person won't take it. And
2) advice that is well-delivered, and tailored to the person receiving it, at least in how it's approached.
Very true. Certainly no one wants advice if they aren't asking for it. But to the people complaining to LA Times or OC Register about how hard their struggles are, lets hope they are open to some helpful advice. If they aren't then they are just finding an avenue to complain I guess?

Perhaps your life has been different than my own, but I literally have family members whose basic form of communication is to shout unsolicited advice at me continuously without taking any time to learn about my interests, my circumstances, etc, and I have to be honest, after a lifetime of this, I just tune it out.
That sounds very frustrating and definitely isn't helpful at all.
They may be well intentioned, but it comes off to me as patronizing, like there's nothing I can possibly do to ever win this person's approval or get them to understand my circumstances, so their advice gets tuned out. So even though their intentions, on paper, are good, because of how they deliver their advice, I'm unlikely to receive the good advice they DO occasionally give. I imagine I can't be the only person in the world that has made a habit of rejecting condescending, unsolicited advice, and so I understand, on some level, why this happens, even if it can be against one's own best interest. Does it mean I absolve those individuals of responsibility? No. But on some level, I get where some of them may be coming from.
ln my case there are Individuals in my family circle that complain about issues and ask for help regularly but then turn down advice or opportunities that would assist them in the future.

I think it's important to help someone who is drowning but know to stop if they start pulling you under with them.

If these same people refuse your well intentioned advice but then try to go after you for your time and money, at some point you feel less bad for them.

Some predicaments are random or based on luck but some people do regularly put themselves in bad circumstances even when offered a life line.

If a group of longtime themepark employees want to complain about their cost of living and wages but wouldn't be open to advice on how improve their living situation then I have no idea how to fix their circumstances.
I think we have the same solution, it just comes across to me like you're undercutting your own solution to play the blame game.
Again I'm just being realistic on how someone could take steps TODAY to improve their situation. Waiting for Disney co to triple the pay of their employees so they can buy an Anaheim condo isn't likely to happen any way I see it.

But that doesn't mean I side with Disney. Facts are they are paying what the labor market will take and are responsible for giving returns to their shareholders.
Perhaps not your intent, but that's how it reads to me. I do think legislation and a strong government COULD do something; what is the point of a government if they're not going to make an effort to help anyone achieve things, especially when there are documented shortages in key industries?
I don't see much of our "representatives" actually working on looking out for their people, but it would be nice if they did.
Nonetheless, while staffing shortages around the park have improved, it is still glaring to me that pre-covid, Carthay was open for lunch and dinner. Yet since park reopening, Carthay has been dinner only. The only explanation for this in my head is staffing, because even if the menu has changed for the worse, if Carthay was open for lunch, people would eat there. So it's literally Disney leaving money on the table because of their inability to fully staff Carthay.
But again they didn't have the Al Fresco Dining option back then so it may be an equal trade off. I do think it's the menu though IMO (it has at least stopped me from going back). Either the demand isn't there or it could be staffing like you said.
Is it not defending Disney if you're basically saying that these people are idiots for sticking around?
No because this is not a Disney problem, the recent article isn't even about Disney. It's an issue with people sticking aroung in minimum wage jobs.

These companies aren't forcing anyone to stay in these jobs for extended periods of time. Both things can be true, the companies can be greedy and the people
can be making bad choices by staying around expecting more.

The implication there is if people are going to be suckers and keep staying there for dirt pay, what incentive does Disney have to change?
There is no incentive to change which is why it's not a good career choice.
As I said in a different post, I do think it's interesting how many companies seemingly cannot understand why they should pay their workers more, to result in a better, more satisfied workforce which would then result in a better experience for guests.
Until things like this hurt a company's bottom line they can continue to use minimum wage jobs. Universal and Disney parks though are doing very well.
I agree that on paper it should be, but I think you're underestimating how hectic things are for a lot of families and what additional obligations they may have.

I'm not a parent, so I probably shouldn't make assumptions here, but I think that some absolutely would require child care regardless. Perhaps a small percentage, but not all children or parents or families are the same.

Online coursework is the perfect option, most are only a few hours of work at most a week. A lot of online coursework is self paced and does not require a time
comitment:

I don't know the situation fully either, but I was a bit shocked to read that. I do think a 77 year old is a bit disadvantaged looking for new opportunities in the workforce and that it's fair to acknowledge that there's a big difference between someone in their twenties or thirties looking for a new position and someone much older.
That's very true, the workforce is not kind to senior employees at all and opportunities are limited.
My own mother got laid off in 2020 in her late fifties, and I know that she really struggled to find any footing in a job market where opportunities that would have appealed to her were limited by retirement-related stipulations, and despite the prohibition on age-related employment discrimination, no company really wants to hire anyone nearing or past retirement age-particularly the "right" companies that offer better pay and benefits. She also saw firsthand how the job application process had changed radically from when she was last looking for a position (around 2000), and not in the job seeker's favor, at least IMO and hers. Ultimately she decided to focus on caring for her aging parents instead of seeking a new position and ride out the next few years until those benefits acrued from her previous job start kicking in. So while I don't know Phroobar's mother's situation firsthand, my first instinct is to have empathy for her situation rather than assume that an elderly woman is simply lazy for not grabbing at better opportunities. I mean, let's be real here: how many better opportunities really exist for 77 year olds? I know that occasionally you'll see those "80 year old grandmother has just earned a PH.D" sorts of articles, but the reason those articles get published is because it's an anomaly at that point for such things to happen. I'd love to be proven wrong, truly, but I'm having trouble at understanding what a person in that situation is really supposed to do. Life expectancy for women in the US right now is 79.3 years. While one doesn't ever really know how long an individual will live, I can understand Mom's refusal at that point to try something else.
So sorry to hear what happened to your mother and that sounds so rough, again the workforce is not kind to seniors.

Not sure about the other poster's situation but it could be a case of someone throughout their life making poor choices and it culminating in them living in a bad situation.

Anyways people are probably tired of seeing me go back and forth on this but I appreciate and respect you and your discussion points. I think even if we sometimes have different stances we actually are more or less on the same page and want what's best for people:

TP2000

We are hearing her through the labor union voice. We may be missing a few facts about her life and labor conditions.
100%. We are hearing about her situation through one specific lens. There are likely to be inaccuracies in both directions, as that's the nature of these sorts of reports. That said, I tend to trust the workers on the ground over the higher ups to understand what the situation is really like on the ground.

Ms. Arceo is clearly known well to the union leadership of Unite Here Local 11, as they have used her for three separate media interviews in the past year. And the union also got Evelyn Arceo to speak at a county council meeting as part of that media process, which was mentioned in a fourth media article on the county council meeting.

My question is, what has the union done with her dues money the past 8 years to help Evelyn Arceo? The union is obviously aware of the tuition assistance and financial planning resources that Universal Studios provides its employees, so did the union help Ms. Arceo to get involved with that type of assistance from her employer? Does Unite Here have a tuition assistance program to offer also? Or does Unite Here have a program to help place workers in apprenticeship programs with fellow unionized trades that pay more?

Could her union help Ms. Arceo to become an electrician, a plumber, a welder, a machinist, or any other skilled union trade that pays a lot more than icing donuts? Certainly plenty of unionized skilled trades are represented on the Universal lot.

If earning $19 per hour to put icing on donuts is difficult to raise 4 children on with no husband (and I don't doubt that it is difficult, even with government assistance and food stamps thrown in to that monthly financial package!), and the Unite Here Local 11 leadership is fully aware of the situation dues-paying member Evelyn Arceo is in... what else has her union leadership done for Ms. Arceo to help her improve her career options besides just using her for media interviews?

For those wondering, here's a summary of the media tour that Unite Here Local 11 has put Evelyn Arceo on since 2023...

Phroobar

Either this or Plectus. In a perfect world they reuse carousel theater for what it was built to do, as an animatronic theater venue
Plectus is far better idea.
Or just give us Horizons 2.0
Plectu-Exterior.jpg

Plectu-Show.jpg

CaptinEO

Ms. Arceo is clearly known well to the union leadership of Unite Here Local 11, as they have used her for three separate media interviews in the past year. And the union also got Evelyn Arceo to speak at a county council meeting as part of that media process, which was mentioned in a fourth media article on the county council meeting.

My question is, what has the union done with her dues money the past 8 years to help Evelyn Arceo? The union is obviously aware of the tuition assistance and financial planning resources that Universal Studios provides its employees, so did the union help Ms. Arceo to get involved with that type of assistance from her employer? Does Unite Here have a tuition assistance program to offer also? Or does Unite Here have a program to help place workers in apprenticeship programs with fellow unionized trades that pay more?

Could her union help Ms. Arceo to become an electrician, a plumber, a welder, a machinist, or any other skilled union trade that pays a lot more than icing donuts? Certainly plenty of unionized skilled trades are represented on the Universal lot.

If earning $19 per hour to put icing on donuts is difficult to raise 4 children on with no husband (and I don't doubt that it is difficult, even with government assistance and food stamps thrown in to that monthly financial package!), and the Unite Here Local 11 leadership is fully aware of the situation dues-paying member Evelyn Arceo is in... what else has her union leadership done for Ms. Arceo to help her improve her career options besides just using her for media interviews?

For those wondering, here's a summary of the media tour that Unite Here Local 11 has put Evelyn Arceo on since 2023...

Good find with this, guess she is their representative in many ways, but as you stated how are they helping her?

Seems like they are exploiting her to me. You could argue this woman is being exploited by both her employer and her union now and not getting compensated properly.

TP2000

Carousel of Progress belongs in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. DL regulars would appreciate it more than Orlando tourists. Make it happen, D'Amaro!

I agree to an extent, but it needs a thorough restaging of all four acts. Originally, the show covered the preceding 60 years of electrical progress in 20 year leaps, but now it's been 60 years since the show first opened.

I would propose a new show that has three acts detailing progress in consumer appliances and domestic development; 1910's, 1950's, 2000's, and then a fourth act that looked at the future of the 2030's that could be updated easily in five or eight years time.

You would also need a deep-pocketed sponsor, and it seems Apple would be a great choice. The show would not focus on specific brands in the first acts, but would instead use a range of examples and technology. In the third and fourth acts the Apple products would become part of the show, obviously.

But to just pick up the 1964 World's Fair show and bring it to Disneyland, even if you updated the tacky 1990's finale' they have running in WDW, isn't a wise idea in my opinion. You would need to dramatically change and update the entire show, while keeping its original charm and whimsy and that great Sherman Brothers theme song.

TP2000

Good find with this, guess she is their representative in many ways, but as you stated how are they helping her?

Exactly. If she is unable to help herself access the resources and benefits her employer is offering to her, has her union leadership stepped in to get her integrated into those employer programs?

And that same union has no career development resources to offer her at all? Nothing that could get her a skilled trade?

If her union can get her to county meetings and offer her up to multiple news outlets for interviews, including home visits and photography sessions, then certainly her union can get her enrolled and engaged in assistance programs and benefits that are actively being offered to her.

Seems like they are exploiting her to me. You could argue this woman is being exploited by both her employer and her union now and not getting compensated properly.

Worst case scenario, yes that's exactly what's happening.

But her employer pays her a paycheck each week, while her union takes money out of that paycheck. I would think the organization taking money from her paycheck would do more to assist her, rather than just use her for unpaid media hits.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Just beat Mario Wonder with my son. Not sure it’s the best Mario game ever but I think it might be the most fun. @Rich T / Nintendo fans what did you think?

Last edited:

Phroobar

I agree to an extent, but it needs a thorough restaging of all four acts. Originally, the show covered the preceding 60 years of electrical progress in 20 year leaps, but now it's been 60 years since the show first opened.

I would propose a new show that has three acts detailing progress in consumer appliances and domestic development; 1910's, 1950's, 2000's, and then a fourth act that looked at the future of the 2030's that could be updated easily in five or eight years time.

You would also need a deep-pocketed sponsor, and it seems Apple would be a great choice. The show would not focus on specific brands in the first acts, but would instead use a range of examples and technology. In the third and fourth acts the Apple products would become part of the show, obviously.

But to just pick up the 1964 World's Fair show and bring it to Disneyland, even if you updated the tacky 1990's finale' they have running in WDW, isn't a wise idea in my opinion. You would need to dramatically change and update the entire show, while keeping its original charm and whimsy and that great Sherman Brothers theme song.
The thing is after the initial opening it will play to empty theaters. No one is going to sit though an edutainment about outdated technology no matter how great the song is. Even a upgraded Chuck-e-cheese AA show like America Sings or Plectus will play to empty rooms within the first year of release. Tomorrowland needs a e-ticket and not a place to take a nap. That is what Lincoln is for.

PiratesMansion

Carousel of Progress belongs in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. DL regulars would appreciate it more than Orlando tourists. Make it happen, D'Amaro!
This sounds nice and "just", given the importance of the show, but the key thing is that it left in the 70s. Had it stayed, it might have become an enduring park classic on the level of Tiki Room. But because it left? It'd be received the way most people received Captain EO when it returned in 2010: what the heck is this?!? Disney just doesn't make attractions like this anymore, and the reaction from anyone who wouldn't already be familiar with it from their own memories would largely be confusion.

The only market that exists for static AA shows (or arguably theater shows in general) at Disneyland Resort is for legacy attractions that were around in Walt's era. Because it left, COP would not be treated the same way the existing legacy attractions are. Even if the Carousel theater would be able to be reconstructed, I don't believe it would be able to sustain its attendance over time to a point where it would make sense for DL to keep it around. As much as is underappreciated in Florida, theater shows have, generally speaking, had far greater lasting power when compared to the CA parks (there's a reason Florida's the only place that still has Muppetvision and ITTBAB, and it's not just because those parks collectively need more capacity). Bring COP to DL, and I'd be very surprised if it lasted more than five years.

Phroobar

This sounds nice and "just", given the importance of the show, but the key thing is that it left in the 70s. Had it stayed, it might have become an enduring park classic on the level of Tiki Room. But because it left? It'd be received the way most people received Captain EO when it returned in 2010: what the heck is this?!? Disney just doesn't make attractions like this anymore, and the reaction from anyone who wouldn't already be familiar with it from their own memories would largely be confusion.

The only market that exists for static AA shows (or arguably theater shows in general) at Disneyland Resort is for legacy attractions that were around in Walt's era. Because it left, COP would not be treated the same way the existing legacy attractions are. Even if the Carousel theater would be able to be reconstructed, I don't believe it would be able to sustain its attendance over time to a point where it would make sense for DL to keep it around. As much as is underappreciated in Florida, theater shows have, generally speaking, had far greater lasting power when compared to the CA parks (there's a reason Florida's the only place that still has Muppetvision and ITTBAB, and it's not just because those parks collectively need more capacity). Bring COP to DL, and I'd be very surprised if it lasted more than five years.
Agreed. WDW is still paying Disneyland's Lion King parade as a show for the last thirty years. They are still playing BATB stage show that left Disneyland just as long ago. The only reason people go to CoP is to get out of the heat/rain. Most of the time it is seasonal anyway.

If executed well, I think a Horizon 2.0 omnimover will do really well there especially if it is full of AAs and special effects. Make it POTC level and maybe incorporate the dinosaurs.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I haven’t had this much appreciation for Indy since the mid to late 90s. Aside from recently watching all the movies and the last refurb bringing it back to life I have a lot of displaced love for Splash Mountain that has kind of just landed on Indy. Another Baxter ride from the 80s/90s generation of Imagineering. Not to mention the more underwhelming new rides and lands open the more I appreciate some of the older classics.

Last edited:

Rich T

Just beat Mario Wonder with my son. Not sure it’s the best Mario game ever but I think it might be the most fun. @Rich T / Nintendo fans what did you think?
I love Mario Wonder. Haven’t quite gotten to the end yet, but I’ve found the game so far to be great fun and full of terrific creative twists. The Piranha Plant musical number is probably my favorite level in any game ever. And Elephant Mario has got to be a standard power up from this point forward!

Odyssey is still my favorite Mario platformer from this console generation, but Wonder is pretty great. 😃

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom