Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
For Matthew they operated up until landfall day and closed early that day.

This isn't Matthew. Latest update Ian is a Cat 2 and probably will strengthen to a Cat 3 before hitting Cuba. This storm is BIG.

Both universities in the state capital have cancelled classes starting tomorrow. None of the latest models show Ian hitting the Florida Panhandle. That's how bad it's expected to be.

Orange County schools announced they will be closed Wednesday and Thursday. MAY reopen on Friday.

Record storm surge expected in Tampa. Downtown will flood. Areas of the state are expected to get up to a foot of rainfall. A FOOT. And we've had a lot of rain in the state over the past few weeks. So you've got a very wet storm dumping LOTS on rain on ground already saturated. Flooding to be expected in Orange County as rainfall of 5" to 8" forecasted.

If you're on property and will be staying through Saturday, I'd make preparations tomorrow morning at the latest.

This storm ain't no joke.

Touchdown

Original Poster
This isn't Matthew. Latest update Ian is a Cat 2 and probably will strengthen to a Cat 3 before hitting Cuba. This storm is BIG.

Both universities in the state capital have cancelled classes starting tomorrow. None of the latest models show Ian hitting the Florida Panhandle. That's how bad it's expected to be.

Orange County schools announced they will be closed Wednesday and Thursday. MAY reopen on Friday.

Record storm surge expected in Tampa. Downtown will flood. Areas of the state are expected to get up to a foot of rainfall. A FOOT. And we've had a lot of rain in the state over the past few weeks. So you've got a very wet storm dumping LOTS on rain on ground already saturated. Flooding to be expected in Orange County as rainfall of 5" to 8" forecasted.

If you're on property and will be staying through Saturday, I'd make preparations tomorrow morning at the latest.

This storm ain't no joke.
LA Kid, I’m not and I know that. Matthew is my only experience in FL during a hurricane. I’m staying up north, already delayed my arrival and honestly if the track holds probably will be canceling.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I find Disney reopening on Friday more realistic (helps that Orlando, being more inland and full of wetlands, generally avoids the worst when it comes to hurricanes).

Depends. Rainfall of 5" to 8" will mean major flooding. And we've had LOTS of rain over the past few weeks.

LAKid53

Premium Member
LA Kid, I’m not and I know that. Matthew is my only experience in FL during a hurricane. I’m staying up north, already delayed my arrival and honestly if the track holds probably will be canceling.

I just don't want people to think this will be like Matthew. This is my 6th hurricane, but first in the Orlando area, so I'm preparing like I would if I was up in the FL Panhandle. I lived through Michael in 2018.

I pray for the people living from Clearwater up just past Tampa. This will be bad. Especially if Ian hits at high tide.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I just don't want people to think this will be like Matthew. This is my 6th hurricane, but first in the Orlando area, so I'm preparing like I would if I was up in the FL Panhandle. I lived through Michael in 2018.

I pray for the people living from Clearwater up just past Tampa. This will be bad. Especially if Ian hits at high tide.

If Ian hangs out like forecasted, he’ll be there at all tides

WDWmazprty

Saw this on TWC page on IG

Attachments

• IMG_20220926_185337.jpg
    IMG_20220926_185337.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 111

LAKid53

Premium Member
Things are getting a little crazy here in the Tampa Bay Area. Stores are busy with people stocking up. I haven’t had any issues getting water or bread. A few gas stations locally have run out of gas but my wife was able to get some earlier today.

Luckily I’m not in an evacuation zone so I’ll be riding the storm out with my family.

All of you will be in my thoughts.

peter11435

Matthew never came ashore.

Longtime Orlando residents are talking about Ian like they did about Charley in 2004. Ian is taking a similar path.
We now know that Matthew never came ashore. We did not know that in the days leading up to its approach.

Correct. This storm has many similarities to Charley.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom