Sightlines are being destroyed everywhere

Goofyernmost

There are a variety of techniques that could have been used to not have a warehouse sitting out in the open, clear as day. The ride does not have a big drop, so it doesn’t need the height for its thrills. The ride also already has a basement level, so it could have made use of that. It could have had a designed building intended to be seen like its neighbor. The site topography could have been reshaped to support berms. All sorts of things could have been done.
Well, dream the impossible dream if you must, but just because you say there are a variety of techniques that could have been used doesn't mean that any of those techniques would not still be visible. Give me a suggestion about how it is could be done other than lowering the track thus diminishing the experience. They still have to finish anyway so what they are going to do to ease the sightline still remains to be seen. I for one will wait until the finished product is complete then I will decide if it made enough difference for everyone's (sure) satisfaction.

esskay

Again with the building? The thing isn't even finished yet, but again, it is just a themed (that's the part I was talking about) attraction that requires height to accommodate it. Reality tells me that it isn't the "theming" that is the problem it is the building and would be a problem no matter where it was located. Again I ask what would you do with it. How would you completely hid a utility that is needed to create the height needed to make it a thrill ride? It looks like it is going to be a fun experience. Why isn't that the important part? Should it be underground (likely under water) or should the track be lowered to ground level all around so that a smaller easily hidden building could be used?
Almost every coaster at WDW is in a warehouse. You just can't see it because they give it a decently themed facia on the side that faces guests.In trons case it's so close to Space Mountain that they could've incorporated the same style of design and cover up the fact that it's a square metal box.

In GoTG they could've taken the approach they did with Soarin and have a comdination of it being lower down to the ground, and add a burm in the park that to a guest just looks like a grass covered hill with trees. Would it cover it completely? Absolutely not, but its a darn sight better than big grey boxes everywhere. Even RnR at HS looks better and in that instance you genuinely do stare directly at a big warehouse as you walk into its outdoor plaza.

It's not a question of it not being possible, it's just money and lack of care.

For another example look at Hogwarts Castle over at Uni. It's a big warehouse, a stupendiously tall one, right inside the park...but you can't tell that.

Goofyernmost

Remember one thing. Disney World's four parks are called "Theme Parks". Six Flags is called an "amusement park." If it were built as an amusement park, I would 100% agree with you. But Walt Disney and the Imagineers set out to change what an amusement park is/was. The intent is to be all immersive. When you walk down towards RnRC, can you see the building that houses the roller coaster? Can you see the building from anywhere in the park? You ask why isn't the ride experience the important part? My answer; it is if you are going to an amusement park. Disney set the bar for themed entertainment, maybe they should keep up with the standard they created!
The ride is still themed, the objects in the real world that are needed to create the atmosphere are in the real world and are going to be utility items and not the actual attraction. If all you had was a structured coaster with no building at all and no props then it would be six flags. This isn't it. They do what is physically possible to make it as inconspicuous as possible, but the real world is much bigger than a theme park or the wishes of theme park fans.
Almost every coaster at WDW is in a warehouse. You just can't see it because they give it a decently themed facia on the side that faces guests.In trons case it's so close to Space Mountain that they could've incorporated the same style of design and cover up the fact that it's a square metal box.

In GoTG they could've taken the approach they did with Soarin and have a comdination of it being lower down to the ground, and add a burm in the park that to a guest just looks like a grass covered hill with trees. Would it cover it completely? Absolutely not, but its a darn sight better than big grey boxes everywhere. Even RnR at HS looks better and in that instance you genuinely do stare directly at a big warehouse as you walk into its outdoor plaza.

It's not a question of it not being possible, it's just money and lack of care.
Hate to break it to you but Soarin' is still visible.

Lilofan

An interesting sight line is when your vehicle at Test Track breaks down in the cast areas outside , melting in the heat waiting to be rescued by cast and walk the long distance to the main Test Track building.

montyz81

Original Poster
RnR was admittedly pretty easy since the park was already themed like a studio backlot with soundstages.
1660581467570.png

Actually, the front part of the building is suppose to look like that, like a record studio. The space where the rollar coaster is (red circle) is not visible from anywhere int he park.

Pepper's Ghost

The ride is still themed, the objects in the real world that are needed to create the atmosphere are in the real world and are going to be utility items and not the actual attraction. If all you had was a structured coaster with no building at all and no props then it would be six flags. This isn't it. They do what is physically possible to make it as inconspicuous as possible, but the real world is much bigger than a theme park or the wishes of theme park fans.

Hate to break it to you but Soarin' is still visible.
This is where I feel you're giving Disney waaaaay too much slack. In the past Disney would take measures to truly hide these show buildings. For Tron, they didn't even try. It's just a massive Amazon warehouse in the middle of a Disney park. I'm not sure why you're making it sound like it was impossible to better obscure the visibility of the building when they do it everywhere else. It wasn't impossible. Disney has done it literally around EVERY corner of every park. All their rides either theme the exterior of the show building to match the theme, or hide it out of sight.

Look how MASSIVE the show building is for the Haunted Mansion, but have you ever seen it?? Not sure if everyone can pick it out in the photo below, but the iconic guest-facing HM is circled in red, and the show building in yellow. To understand the scale, look how tiny the HM facade looks in comparison...
HM show building.png

lazyboy97o

Well, dream the impossible dream if you must, but just because you say there are a variety of techniques that could have been used doesn't mean that any of those techniques would not still be visible. Give me a suggestion about how it is could be done other than lowering the track thus diminishing the experience. They still have to finish anyway so what they are going to do to ease the sightline still remains to be seen. I for one will wait until the finished product is complete then I will decide if it made enough difference for everyone's (sure) satisfaction.
I literally just listed some ways the visual intrusion could be limited.

This has nothing to do with what is physically possible. They deliberately decided at the beginning to do nothing. They wanted to take a design from a very different context and reproduce it as much as possible.

lazyboy97o

View attachment 660624
Actually, the front part of the building is suppose to look like that, like a record studio. The space where the rollar coaster is (red circle) is not visible from anywhere int he park.
There are areas where the gravity building is visible within the park itself. It’s in the background behind other structures, many of which are similar in design.

Vegas Disney Fan

For another example look at Hogwarts Castle over at Uni. It's a big *** warehouse, a stupendiously tall one, right inside the park...but you can't tell that.

Hogwarts suffers from the same problems as Tron, it looks amazing from the front but from the side and back it’s a horrible unthemed box. The box is even visible from the extended queue.

382F08DE-5320-41A2-AF9A-70C91C8089B1.jpeg

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Hogwarts suffers from the same problems as Tron, it looks amazing from the front but from the side and back it a horrible unthemed box. The box is even visible from the extended queue.

View attachment 660667
What’s worse is they just kept repeating it too. Universal is weird how in certain places they can be obsessive but then two steps over they suddenly don’t care.

Vegas Disney Fan

What’s worse is they just kept repeating it too. Universal is weird how in certain places they can be obsessive but then two steps over they suddenly don’t care.

I think this just comes down to a cost analysis, is it better to spend millions to prevent a bad site line from every possible angle or better to spend that money on the theming you intend people to see?

I’ve never been bothered by seeing glimpses of show buildings so as long as it’s not too visible I’d rather see them spend the money on the ride and then “hide” the unintended views with trees and paint.

Tron doesn’t bother me (nor does Hogwarts, Soaring, etc) but there’s been some bad examples lately, the barges being the worst, every time I see the barges I worry they aren’t even considering site lines anymore.

Andrew25

It doesn’t have to literally cover it, being placed at the right angle and location will hide it from view. The trees along the perimeter of Canada are not taller than the Imagination pavilion, but block your view of it because of their location and the guests point of view.

Your right, but some people were saying they can easily cover the
Hogwarts suffers from the same problems as Tron, it looks amazing from the front but from the side and back it’s a horrible unthemed box. The box is even visible from the extended queue.

View attachment 660667

This is a very, very old photo lol. You can still see the show-building, but it is not as bad as it used to be.

The show building is very visible from JP unfortunately now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom