News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

TheMaxRebo

I have a feeling on where that rumor came from. While all things are pointing to Splash closing soon, it does not appear they are going to do a direct capacity swap here. They can use the added capacity during the holidays.

who know if they will do this but get Tron open mid November and is open for the holiday crowds - including a selling point for paying for the holiday party - and keep Splash up. You could announce when it will close for the refurb (I think just closing it in Jan/Feb like for when it normally goes down for maintenance) and that will increase demand for it for people to get in their "one last ride"

To me that makes sense .... so they probably won't do it

mlayton144

who know if they will do this but get Tron open mid November and is open for the holiday crowds - including a selling point for paying for the holiday party - and keep Splash up. You could announce when it will close for the refurb (I think just closing it in Jan/Feb like for when it normally goes down for maintenance) and that will increase demand for it for people to get in their "one last ride"

To me that makes sense .... so they probably won't do it
I dont think they will have any problem selling the Christmas parties , tron or no tron

TheMaxRebo

I dont think they will have any problem selling the Christmas parties , tron or no tron

I don't think so either, but the cheapest party is like $40 more than the cheapest Halloween one - could at least be another way to justify that variance

(This is also me being optimistic as we are going in mid December and would like Tron to be open so I am looking for any reason to make that case :D)

bpiper

There is not a chance in high hell a coaster like Tron should cost this much.

It's a launched Vekoma with some screens, where the R&D has already been paid for, for heck sake. There's some serious fudging of accounting figures going on.
I suspect that a Significant amount went into that large building. With the size of that building, the wind loads on it would be tremendous during a hurricane. The normal outer columns would have to be significantly larger. They not only have to hold the vertical weight of the building but have to handle the lateral forces of the wind. Think large steel I beam used for a floor turned vertical. That a lot more money. Then you have to have all the lateral cross bracing to keep the building from racking (twisting in the wind.) Don't forget the concrete slab. I remembered Disney doing a time lapse video of the continuous pour of the concrete floor for the guardians building.

That foundation pour took 17 hours, with the help of 300 workers, and included 80 miles of rebar, 960 truckloads or 9260 cubic yards of concrete, and covered 72000 sq ft.
Just the cost of that concrete alone never mind the rebar would be over a million dollars. That's over 3 feet of concrete thick. To support all that weight, you would have to drive a lot of friction piles into the ground. That isn't cheep either.

UpAllNight

I suspect that a Significant amount went into that large building. With the size of that building, the wind loads on it would be tremendous during a hurricane. The normal outer columns would have to be significantly larger. They not only have to hold the vertical weight of the building but have to handle the lateral forces of the wind. Think large steel I beam used for a floor turned vertical. That a lot more money. Then you have to have all the lateral cross bracing to keep the building from racking (twisting in the wind.) Don't forget the concrete slab. I remembered Disney doing a time lapse video of the continuous pour of the concrete floor for the guardians building.

That foundation pour took 17 hours, with the help of 300 workers, and included 80 miles of rebar, 960 truckloads or 9260 cubic yards of concrete, and covered 72000 sq ft.
Just the cost of that concrete alone never mind the rebar would be over a million dollars. That's over 3 feet of concrete thick. To support all that weight, you would have to drive a lot of friction piles into the ground. That isn't cheep either.

Fair points...but $350million?

JoeCamel

Not as much as they spent. It is obscene to spend that much on a single ride that not everyone will be able to get on at the expense of other possible uses for it

TrainsOfDisney

How much did it cost to built the building for Trasnformers?

lazyboy97o

The winds loads are not different than other buildings in Florida. There are plenty of steel structures around the area. Even being a Risk Category III only pushes the ultimate wind load requirement up an additional 10 mph, well within safety factors for Risk Category II structures.

Floor slabs are not 3’ thick. They’re mats slabs and going to be in the range of 6” thick. The foundations for the columns are separate from the slab. The single pour at Guardians was also a bit of a flex, it’s more than possible to do multiple pours and tie everything together.

The whole building is similar to a warehouse. It’s not that crazy.

CntrlFlPete

couple of photos

tron1.jpg

tron2.jpg

No Name

Seems like between $350-450
That looks like it’s referring to Cosmic Rewind. There was some confusion over the price of the Tron coaster and this is the latest I’ve heard: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...irmed-for-epcot.929265/page-902#post-10182406

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom