Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

lazyboy97o

Maybe the (eventual) plan is to keep the Imagineering name alive, but outsource all future projects (to old imagineers in their new design studios)
Wouldn't this have the ability to save the company lots of money?
Kinda like what our country has done with NASA...
That was kind of the plan with Shanghai Disneyland, for Imagineering to try and operate more like Universal Creative did at the time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's 2021 dude. Geography is almost entirely irrelevant.
As a veteran of the industry that basically BUILT what people call 'remote work' now... and as someone who has worked almost exclusively remote for the last 18 years as part of that career... I still would call such broad statements like that ignorant.

Especially for industry with so much creative and physical product.

Presence has its purpose and not all industries are so well suited to remote. And I make my living off people working remote :)

CaptainAmerica

As a veteran of the industry that basically BUILT what people call 'remote work' now... and as someone who has worked almost exclusively remote for the last 18 years as part of that career... I still would call such broad statements like that ignorant.

Especially for industry with so much creative and physical product.

Presence has its purpose and not all industries are so well suited to remote. And I make my living off people working remote :)
DCP is neither creative nor physical though. They're a licensing company. They don't design the toys or the video games, they lease their IP to the companies that do.

Last edited:

ULPO46

DCP is neither creative nor physical though. They're a licensing company. They don't design the toys or the video games, they lease their IP to the companies that do.
exactly just look underneath a Disney Store toy and it will say Mattel, Hasboro, or some other manufacturer. Disney has never made any of it's products tracing back to the original licensing agreements for Mickey Mouse products.

TrojanUSC

DCP is one thing. They have little reason to stay in LA. Imagineering is not DCP, despite the org chart, and that's what most people are frustrated about here. The type of creative talent you are talking about has no interest in moving to the swamps of Florida.

CaptainAmerica

DCP is one thing. They have little reason to stay in LA. Imagineering is not DCP, despite the org chart, and that's what most people are frustrated about here. The type of creative talent you are talking about has no interest in moving to the swamps of Florida.
1. We're specifically NOT talking about Imagineering. This was the post that began this digression:

SmartSelect_20211018-221747_Chrome.jpg

2. The vast majority of "Imagineering" are not Imagineers.

3. Truly unique and special talent will be retained.

4. Central Florida is the themed entertainment capitol of the world.

CaptainAmerica

I think this remains to be seen. Regardless of how anyone here feels about Kevin Lively, Disney clearly considered him one of their top people to put him in charge of the Jungle Cruise changes and they're not retaining him.
I don't know anything about Kevin Lively, but I wouldn't say being assigned to make Jungle Cruise woke is necessarily evidence that you're a Top Guy.

Disone

The culture of WDI is, in many ways, rotted. You sort of *want* loss of institutional knowledge at this point.
Totally heard but there is one glaring exception. Tokyo Disneyland. Which continues to use the WDI to design new attractions that are absolutely fantastic.

This tends to make me think that the rott is not within WDI, clearly when given the budget they know how to knock it out of the ballpark.

It seems all US corporate wants to pay for is theme by signage. Why go through the expense of building a building to serve hot dogs that looks like Pluto's dog house when you could just put a sign on a stucco sided Square building that reads, Pluto's hot dogs. Now add a little picture of Pluto somewhere and call it a day.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I don't know anything about Kevin Lively, but I wouldn't say being assigned to make Jungle Cruise woke is necessarily evidence that you're a Top Guy.

I don't know much about him either -- but I do think putting someone in charge of something like that (which Disney is apparently pretty big on right now) indicates that they consider him one of the bigger people. Really, putting someone in charge of anything related to attraction changes likely means they're thought of pretty highly.

Lilofan

Totally heard but there is one glaring exception. Tokyo Disneyland. Which continues to use the WDI to design new attractions that are absolutely fantastic.

This tends to make me think that the rott is not within WDI, clearly when given the budget they know how to knock it out of the ballpark.

It seems all US corporate wants to pay for is theme by signage. Why go through the expense of building a building to serve hot dogs that looks like Pluto's dog house when you could just put a sign on a stucco sided Square building that reads, Pluto's hot dogs. Now add a little picture of Pluto somewhere and call it a day.
In addition to Tokyo attractions and design some items that TDL are far superior compared to the domestic parks are cleanliness and customer service. The Japanese cast excel in these areas.

CaptainAmerica

Believing that is so short sighted. To be blunt most of the “fresh blood” aren’t good enough.
I'm not convinced that the old guard are good enough, either. Joe, Tony, and Marty ain't walking through that door to save us any time soon. The best creative to come out of WDI in the last 10 years didn't even come from Imagineers, it came from George Lucas, John Lasseter, and James Cameron.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not convinced that the old guard are good enough, either. Joe, Tony, and Marty ain't walking through that door to save us any time soon. The best creative to come out of WDI in the last 10 years didn't even come from Imagineers, it came from George Lucas, John Lasseter, and James Cameron.
Considering Joe was shoved and Tony isn’t allowed should tell you enough about the current environment.

But I didn’t say that.

Nor should I talk about the politics and infighting. It’s not good.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Considering Joe was shoved and Tony isn’t allowed should tell you enough about the current environment.

But I didn’t say that.

Nor should I talk about the politics and infighting. It’s not good.
So basically the only thing Imagineering is good for these days is posting samples of gift shop flooring on Instagram and having everything they did do subbed out to outside contractors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom