Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

UNCgolf

I think this is going to be another “which report” do you believe, depending on the criteria we‘ll find very different results.

I did a quick Google search for School systems ranked by state and the first result (World population review) has FL ranked 22, CA 37… the next result was from us news and had CA ranked 4 and FL 6… the next was from WalletHub which has FL 18 and CA 41… the next was Insider which has FL 3 and CA 21… next was Forbes which had FL 26 and CA 37…

FL has higher average SAT scores, CA has higher averaged ACT scores…. Not sure how we’d actually determine which system is better.

It's also one of those things where looking at the state overall is essentially irrelevant. If you're going to live in LA, why would you care about the schools in Fresno? (putting aside some broader picture things, but those apply beyond state lines too)

Even just in a single city there are often some really bad schools and some pretty good ones.

tl77

I believe @marni1971 already confirmed most of WDI isn't leaving?
Nope, they all out

Goodbye GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

tl77

Except theme parks are just a portion of this business unit. A large portion of the people described in this move are 'professional' roles in Consumer products. Being in the swamps of florida is the farthest thing from the businesses they interact and sell to.

ETA: they haven't been clear on who moves.. but if it were purely just parks people, you'd think that would be an easy thing for them to say. Instead they basically just excluded people who were working on the CA and international parks. This seems 'calculated' IMO.
NOOOOOPE, They Gone
leaving the lion king GIF

bcoachable

Maybe the (eventual) plan is to keep the Imagineering name alive, but outsource all future projects (to old imagineers in their new design studios)
Wouldn't this have the ability to save the company lots of money?
Kinda like what our country has done with NASA...

CaptainAmerica

Except theme parks are just a portion of this business unit. A large portion of the people described in this move are 'professional' roles in Consumer products. Being in the swamps of florida is the farthest thing from the businesses they interact and sell to.
Mattel is in California.

Hasbro is in Rhode Island.

LEGO is in Denmark, with a US Headquarters in Connecticut.

Target is in Minnesota.

There's absolutely no reason why Disney Consumer Products needs to be in California. It's not like their ad-supported businesses, which needs to be in New York.

CaptainAmerica

To assume you can just “replace” anyone who won’t move is a misunderstanding of crass proportions.
Of course you can. Nobody is bigger than the Mouse.

Yes, the current staff are y and miserable. They'll soon be replace by fresh blood who are enthusiastic and energetic.

bcoachable

Yes, the current staff are ****y and miserable. They'll soon be replace by fresh blood who are enthusiastic and energetic.
That's why LSU is going to go after that young intern at UCF who is really good at sizing helmets... He will be a great replacement for Ogeron...
He will be enthusiastic and energetic, and won't bat an eye when Bama comes to town.

britain

It is.

The idea is a complete mess (no surprise) and will do lasting damage. The damage has already started.

To assume you can just “replace” anyone who won’t move is a misunderstanding of crass proportions. This isn’t a call centre.

I agree, and yet the same thing was said about all the Imagineers that were laid off after Paris opened, after Indy opened, after TDS opened, and the Eisner years turned dark. The WDI superstars of the 1990's were all gone by the 2000's with the exception of 3 or 4 senior executives (I'm sure you all can guess who those are).

You're either saying:

A) that Disney never produced anything great again since 2000 because they lost all those irreplaceable imagineers back then, or
B) that Disney did get back to making great things again since 2000 (more late 2000's) because...
B1 - Those 3 or 4 talented WDI executives kept the secret sauce alive, or
B2 - The new imagineers hired since 2000 actually did a good job replacing the laid off ones.

If it's B1, then we're really in trouble because the talented "Inner Circle of Master Imagineers" is now kaput - but it's a tragedy because we lost 3 or 4 masters, not because we've lost hundreds of "irreplaceables."

If it's B2, then yes, Disney can actually create actually great stuff again with new hires.

Sigh... in all honesty though, I think it might be A. In which case, there's no news here. We're just noticing a 20 year-old carcass has become even more dead.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Yes, the current staff are ****y and miserable. They'll soon be replace by fresh blood who are enthusiastic and energetic.
I wonder about this as the loss of institutional knowledge has to be worth something.

On the other hand, a lot points to that already being gone. When you see how Imagineering doesn't understand, for example, that graphics used in stores and attractions set in specific time periods should look they are from that same time period, you do question what exactly it is that makes WDI today any different than any other themed design company.

Tha Realest

I wonder about this as the loss of institutional knowledge has to be worth something.

On the other hand, a lot points to that already being gone. When you see how Imagineering doesn't understand, for example, that graphics used in stores and attractions set in specific time periods should look they are from that same time period, you do question what exactly it is that makes WDI today any different than any other themed design company.
This is an astute point. Also, if the current institutional way of doing things means it takes 5+ years for an attraction that costs 2x what it realistically should, maybe a certain amount of institutional atrophy has set in an a shake up is badly needed?

britain

Right - and for all I know, the keepers of the "secret sauce" have been working elsewhere and teaching their apprentices... who work for Uni.

I'm pretty sure there are artists all over the world with design pedigrees that can be traced to Davis, Coates, Sotto, Baxter, etc.

I'm all for institutional knowledge, if the institution is going to give the knowledge a chance to be implemented. If not, tear down the institution, let them fall flat on their faces, and then carefully gather together the wise.

Last edited:

ULPO46

It's also really difficult to properly design or build anything when every step is micromanaged at the top. When you have people forced to work on projects you don't want or care for, you get the mediocracy of something like NRJ or SR. Copying attractions is nothing new, but when zero effort is put in to build something new, extraordinary and within a reasonable budget that's hard. After all Disney doesn't build any attraction. That all gets outsourced to companies that build the majority of track layout, parts, and to some extent some A.A.'s. It's been like this for a long time. Now a days Imagineering is merely just concept art, design, layout, and story. Very rarely is it technology. Those Imagineers have long left after loosing patience from how many times they have been shut down. It's hard on ones creative thought process. But loosing many friends and colleagues to this decision really has me wondering what comes next. There's nothing wrong with moving to Florida I mean we all get moved around a lot. We have parks in the US, Paris, Mainland China/ HK, and Japan.

Anything to be built in say Brazil or the UAE has long been killed due to cost, economic downturns, socioeconomics, politics, ect. Like any company burnout is legitimate. The last 3 years of Iger made Eisners Dark Years look like the Wonder Years. Galaxies Edge was butchered from what it could have been instead a huge chunk of what was supposed to be included with park admission became a luxury hotel for the better words of it, which will probably shut down faster than it will open. I don't see the average SW's fan being able to afford SWGS. That hurts because it's not like Imagineering is full of Ivy Leaguers. A vast majority of us all grew up coming to the parks and dreaming of having the jobs we now have. Some of us are lucky and we had family members who worked for Disney in one form or another, but still.

Walt's vision was for affordable family fun. Not greed, if he were alive today I doubt he would be fond of the direction of the parks. Whilst it does make a significant portion of annual profits for TWDC, it has become so vastly diversified that there's no need to bleed out guest. Things like that affect morale to people who do care and have families of their own. We all constantly walk in our guest shoes and try and think of what it is a family would want to do, an adult would want to ride, and all around.

Most of my colleagues are leaving the company because a move cross country just doesn't make sense for them in between job security and family. As I've stated before in earlier post Imagineering isn't just architectural or engineering, it has grown to include set designs, literature, storylines, music, ect. Industries which some exist in Florida, and others which for better or worst we don't have film in Florida. Armchair Imagineers cannot begin to fathom what goes on behind closed doors or what happens to many of us when we place away the name tag and go home.

For my personality and my future career, I look forward to returning to my home state of Florida on a more permanent note. I recently got married and look forward to raising my future family in Celebration or surrounding areas. But I also keep an open mind of the possibility of working for my own or joining a Architecture firm in Orlando, Tampa, or Miami. Mindfulness and openness is something all imagineers and any career base should be on. Log gone are the days imagineers stayed on the job from when they got hired until they died. The same can be said about nearly every company and job in the world. It's just how we live now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Mattel is in California.

Hasbro is in Rhode Island.

LEGO is in Denmark, with a US Headquarters in Connecticut.

Target is in Minnesota.

There's absolutely no reason why Disney Consumer Products needs to be in California. It's not like their ad-supported businesses, which needs to be in New York.

So you're saying moving from the country's second largest metro area to the swamps is negligible because LA itself isn't toy-central?

Yeah good luck with that one.

Where is the bulk of the content created that Consumer Products generates content from? Would that be SoCal or MCO?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom