News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

doctornick

I agree that a lot of nostalgic guests love the song/show scenes, but the draw of Splash Mountain for a new guest is the drop. They probably don't even know that a show scene is part of the deal.

I will also argue that an equally catchy song, plus equally compelling AA, but with a different IP would have been just as popular for all these decades.

Which is why I don't fear the IP change.

I would agree that an "equally catchy song, plus equally compelling AA, but with a different IP" would be just as popular. I have zero faith in current WDI's ability to achieve that, though, which is why I expect this new ride to be a downgrade from what is currently there. Note: This is not about PatF but on the skill of the current WDI folks; I'd sure Tony Baxter could design a fantastic PatF ride.

The quality of show in Splash is truly fantastic as good as any of the elite Disney ride. I don't think modern Disney would be able to build a HM or POTC equivalent nowadays either. I'm sure that the PatF Splash will be decent, but it's a tough lightening in a bottle thing to get a ride like Splash.

LittleBuford

I have very low expectations for this. It's incredibly frustrating that in the company's desperate bid to be politically correct, they've managed to a) destroy a good work of art b) insult their black audience by just going "here it's a black character now, happy?" c) make their one ride starring a black character a shoddily-done rush-job, not commensurate with the previous work, making non-racist fans resentful of it.
Have members of Disney’s Black fanbase said they feel insulted, or is that just an assumption on your part?

And how can you condemn it as “a shoddily-done rush-job” when they haven’t even started work on it yet?

999th Happy Haunt

I agree that a lot of nostalgic guests love the song/show scenes, but the draw of Splash Mountain for a new guest is the drop. They probably don't even know that a show scene is part of the deal.

I will also argue that an equally catchy song, plus equally compelling AA, but with a different IP would have been just as popular for all these decades.

Which is why I don't fear the IP change.
The drop pulls you in to the ride for the first time, but the great show scenes and songs keep you coming back. I know people that get emotional over hearing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah because of Splash.

With the shoestring budget this project is rumored to have being spread over both coasts, it’s hard for me to imagine the new show scenes being as good as Splash or anywhere near the animatronic count Splash currently has. We also already know the song selections possible for the attraction, and in my opinion none of them even come close to Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah or even have the quintessential Disney feel that How Do You Do and Laughing Place have.

Which is why I fear the IP change.

GoneForGood

Have members of Disney’s Black fanbase said they feel insulted, or is that just an assumption on your part?

And how can you condemn it as “a shoddily-done rush-job” when they haven’t even started work on it yet?
I have mentioned it, there's a few complicated reasons. Don't I won't discuss here. But I do NOT speak for everyone of my background.
As for the ride, I'll wait to see the finish project before saying anything final on it.

cslafferty

I think it is so popular because it is a water ride with a big drop and lasts a decent amount of time. I would argue the IP associated with it has never really been that big of a reason why people love Splash Mountain. A lot of people like the song at the end, but otherwise I don’t know if the IP really had ever had much to do with it. I love the ride and I could care less about it. I certainly don’t want to watch Song of the South.
Exactly. I’m 61 and I’ve never seen all of SotS. My kids are in their 30’s and have never seen any of it and don’t know the characters. But they loved the ride because it was a water ride with a big drop. It is visually iconic, but that his very little, if anything, to do with the movie. Time for a re-theme with a movie and characters that kids can actually recognize.

owlsandcoffee

I have specifically heard that opinion stated. Can I find an example right now...no.

And...yeah. Fair.
You said it more pithily and effectively than I did.
It was very pithy. @James Alucobond 1, Me 0.

I'm gonna leave the comment up because it's a bit jerky to make a polemical post and then just delete it at the smallest rebuttal. But I definitely did not come out of this interaction looking good.

DisneyHead123

The quality of show in Splash is truly fantastic as good as any of the elite Disney ride. I don't think modern Disney would be able to build a HM or POTC equivalent nowadays either. I'm sure that the PatF Splash will be decent, but it's a tough lightening in a bottle thing to get a ride like Splash.

Slightly off topic, but this made me realize that Disney has a serious deficit in the "atmospheric rides" department recently (recently, in ride building time, as in about the past 15 years). They've had some great stuff in fast moving action rides, but their slow rides have gotten much more 'meh', to my mind.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I actually do see them realizing this and turning it around - if only because atmosphere doesn't cost any extra and probably costs less than "Let's Try To Wow You With Lots Of Flashiness And / Or IP In Rapid Succession!" type rides. They're all about immersive entertainment - you can't be truly immersive unless you create a mood or subjective state for people to step into. Movie creators have known this for eons, right? And Disney is a movie production company. I think that paradigm shift is coming - towards rides with a compelling emotional arc and away from "Nonstop And Vaguely Random Flashy IP Comin' Atcha!" experiences. When I think of many of the somewhat recent non-thrill rides - Nemo, Little Mermaid, Frozen, Runaway Railway, even the Pooh ride to a lesser extent - it seems to me that all are really missing the "Wow" factor that comes with creating a mood and an emotional payoff. And again, as mood and emotional payoff are at least theoretically cheap, ha ha, I do see Disney slowly moving more in this direction over the next decade or so.

erasure fan1

but… Which ride makeover would you point to as an example of WDWs proven ability to satisfactorily complete a project of this scale and type?
Ding, ding ding! There is zero evidence that points to this being as good as what it's replacing. If I had any confidence they could pull this off, I would be OK with this. But as it stands, I see this as a mediocre overlay at best. I've said it before, I really hope I'm wrong. But I wouldn't put money on it.

UNCgolf

Slightly off topic, but this made me realize that Disney has a serious deficit in the "atmospheric rides" department recently (recently, in ride building time, as in about the past 15 years). They've had some great stuff in fast moving action rides, but their slow rides have gotten much more 'meh', to my mind.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I actually do see them realizing this and turning it around - if only because atmosphere doesn't cost any extra and probably costs less than "Let's Try To Wow You With Lots Of Flashiness And / Or IP In Rapid Succession!" type rides. They're all about immersive entertainment - you can't be truly immersive unless you create a mood or subjective state for people to step into. Movie creators have known this for eons, right? And Disney is a movie production company. I think that paradigm shift is coming - towards rides with a compelling emotional arc and away from "Nonstop And Vaguely Random Flashy IP Comin' Atcha!" experiences. When I think of many of the somewhat recent non-thrill rides - Nemo, Little Mermaid, Frozen, Runaway Railway, even the Pooh ride to a lesser extent - it seems to me that all are really missing the "Wow" factor that comes with creating a mood and an emotional payoff. And again, as mood and emotional payoff are at least theoretically cheap, ha ha, I do see Disney slowly moving more in this direction over the next decade or so.

This is why I like Na'vi River Journey a lot more than most people here. It's incredibly atmospheric. Yes, there are other problems with it, but that's one of the most important parts of a dark ride and it's easily the best they've done in the last 15+ years.

James Alucobond

I don’t fundamentally disagree that it would be appropriate to change the subject matter of SM, but… Which ride makeover would you point to as an example of WDWs proven ability to satisfactorily complete a project of this scale and type?
The makeover is almost certainly years off and will probably re-use 70% of what's already there. I have no assurances they'll refurbish it competently, but neither am I certain they'll do it incompetently as I don't have easy access to a wormhole.

LittleBuford

I have specifically heard that opinion stated. Can I find an example right now...no.

And...yeah. Fair.

It was very pithy. @James Alucobond 1, Me 0.

I'm gonna leave the comment up because it's a bit jerky to make a polemical post and then just delete it at the smallest rebuttal. But I definitely did not come out of this interaction looking good.
Hat's off for the gracious response.

Casper Gutman

The makeover is almost certainly years off and will probably re-use 70% of what's already there. I have no assurances they'll refurbish it competently, but neither am I certain they'll do it incompetently as I don't have easy access to a wormhole.
I mean, you understand that it is rational to use past experience to predict future behavior, right? And keeping 70% of the existing sets and figures and sticking in a few new AA would be the definition of a bad makeover.

James Alucobond

I mean, you understand that it is rational to use past experience to predict future behavior, right? And keeping 70% of the existing sets and figures and sticking in a few new AA would be the definition of a bad makeover.
If people like most of what's there, it's quality, and it fits thematically with whatever they weave together, I don't see why re-use automatically makes it bad. Also, I enjoy many of the newer attractions, but there's really very little point in arguing about it as opinions are opinions. My only point was that definitively stating that it will be shoddy, insulting, and wholly destructive of the original experience is somewhat premature when we're still at the point at which we haven't even seen legitimate concept art. Expressing concern over the final product is not the same as pre-judging it wholesale, and I haven't commented on anyone simply doing the former.

erasure fan1

My only point was that definitively stating that it will be shoddy, insulting, and wholly destructive of the original experience is somewhat premature when we're still at the point at which we haven't even seen legitimate concept art. Expressing concern over the final product is not the same as pre-judging it wholesale, and I haven't commented on anyone simply doing the former.
While no one can say for sure if this will be good or bad. Disney have turned a lot of people from, in Disney we trust. To I'll believe it when I see it. Also, Splash is one of the most loved rides in history. So couple that with Disney and their track record of updates, and I can see why people think this will be an instant fail. Personally I don't think they can out do Splash, or even match it, with a re-skin. I would rather they rip it down and start from scratch. But we all know that Disney isn't serious enough to do it properly. Because that would cost too much money.

DisneyDean97

Other than losing Splash Mountain to political correctness, I think the biggest lost in all of this will never being able to hear Zip-a-Dee-Do-Dah again in the parks, as that is apparently going away too. Absolutely ridiculous. If they're canceling the song because of the association with the ride and movie... here's a thought, why don't we just cancel the entire Walt Disney Company... after all, they're the company behind this movie

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
This is why I like Na'vi River Journey a lot more than most people here. It's incredibly atmospheric. Yes, there are other problems with it, but that's one of the most important parts of a dark ride and it's easily the best they've done in the last 15+ years.

Agreed! And I'll go even further and say I enjoyed Na'vi River Journey more than Flight of Passage.

FoP has a much better queue, but that's it IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom