News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

UNCgolf

I know the bolded was meant sarcastically, but I would say that’s a good answer to your question. People are being so literal-minded about the whole thing, ignoring the fact that we’re talking about a theme park in which animals walk and talk and a castle overlooks an American high street. If it’s OK to turn Chickapin Hill into a mountain, I see no problem with doing the same for Tiana’s bayou. It’s meant to be fun and fantastic, not a like-for-like representation of US geography.

I think it would be a bigger issue in Animal Kingdom because of that park's strive for relative authenticity (or in the World Showcase, I suppose), but I agree that it really doesn't make much difference in the Magic Kingdom as long as it doesn't detract from the surrounding area.

Last edited:

DisneyDodo

My vote is still for "Splash Bayou"
My choice of name would be "Splash Bayou." It retains the "Splash" of the original and replaces one geographical feature with another. Using the word "mountain" would just feel so out of place for an attraction whose location in the swamps of New Orleans is so integral to its character (I know there are no mountains in SotS either, but Chickapin Hill is close enough, and the ride's general location isn't all that important anyway). It could still maintain "Disney mountain" status without "mountain" in the name, the same way the Matterhorn, EE, and 7DMT do.

Knowing Disney marketing, they'd have to append the obligatory subtitle, so something like "Splash Bayou: Tiana's Mardi Gras Adventure"

GoneForGood

My vote is still for "Splash Bayou"
I agree with this and your other comment. Lived in Louisiana all my life, 30 mins from NOLA.

While certainly fantastical and a little silly. I could understand Chick A Pin Hill being flooded. It isn't an actual mountain- but a title and one that due to the attractions "backstory" is linked to the world of the Brer animals in the current theme (It wouldn't make sense to keep the name due to this since they are on their way out). One of the things about the current story is how well the drops work into it.

It's just. I know its a theme park and for fun. But I am having trouble being excited for this because the plot just doesn't make sense *yet*. 5 drops with one of them being 50 feet is.. IMO asking too much in terms of suspension of disbelief. (Again, this is just my opinion as a native of where this attraction is supposed to take place- being told to just take it is something I'm not okay with. because to me that's like telling me to accept mediocrity. Especially when this project is supposedly being done to make guests more comfortable at their parks its not a good look.).

I often try to think of ways the story could go to be more palatable. But I guess that is Disney's job. I am going to wait and see how this turns out before I can make final judgement on it. Current not impressed. Hoping I get humbled and or proven wrong.

Er.. sorry for going off topic..

PS I think it is also worth noting, That Splash in Florida/Fronteirland it's rockwork is based more around Gloss Mountain in Oklahoma than Red Georgia Clay.

Attachments

• gloss-mountain-bridge-1.png
    gloss-mountain-bridge-1.png
    1 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Bocabear

Yes, they could do that. Again, Hulu provides a platform that is adult enough for the content.

Tiana could outpace the existing IP's revenue since it mostly exists in the parks. Tiana exists all over Disney; it can have a sequel, a Disney+ series, sell more toys/merchandise, increase sales for DCL Wonder thanks to new interest in the restaurant, Tiana's Place, and increase MK ticket sales by offering a "new" (updated) ride.

The Br'er IP cannot do that. Splash is a medium for delivering an IP. Tiana has a brighter future.
Do you work for the Disney Channel? Or Disney Marketing?

GoneForGood

I'm struggling to understand this. No-one is being asked to accept either version of the ride as real or realistic. They both involve landscapes that don't look as they should and animals that talk.
I was never claiming that. I said I found the storyline of the new attraction hard to grasp. Because It doesn't quite make sense to me.

owlsandcoffee

I have very low expectations for this. It's incredibly frustrating that in the company's desperate bid to be politically correct, they've managed to a) destroy a good work of art b) insult their black audience by just going "here it's a black character now, happy?" c) make their one ride starring a black character a shoddily-done rush-job, not commensurate with the previous work, making non-racist fans resentful of it.

(Edit, just check below. But in short, I'm being a bit of a jerk here and we need to wait for the ride to be done)

Last edited:

James Alucobond

It's incredibly frustrating that in the company's desperate bid to be politically correct, they've managed to a) destroy a good work of art b) insult their black audience by just going "here it's a black character now, happy?" c) make their one ride starring a black character a shoddily-done rush-job, not commensurate with the previous work, making non-racist fans resentful of it.
Are you from the future?

doctornick

I don't agree. The draw is the drop, not the old animatronics of possums.

For some maybe, but most people who love Splash are into it because of the fantastic show scenes and music. If the ride were otherwise the same but was a boat ride like Pirates and didn’t have the big drop, I’d expect it to be almost as popular.

Heck, there’s people who ride Splash despite the drop - my father for one who won’t do any thrill ride at WDW but will ride Splash just to enjoy the show (and get white knuckle scared during the drop). He also goes through the ToT queue and bails at the ride.

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

For some maybe, but most people who love Splash are into it because of the fantastic show scenes and music. If the ride was otherwise the same but was a boat ride like Pirates and didn’t have the big drop, I’d expect it to be almost as popular.

Heck, there’s people who ride Splash despite the drop - my father for one who won’t do any thrill ride at WDW but will ride Splash just to enjoy the show (and get white knuckle scared during the drop). He also goes through the ToT queue and bails at the ride.
I agree that a lot of nostalgic guests love the song/show scenes, but the draw of Splash Mountain for a new guest is the drop. They probably don't even know that a show scene is part of the deal.

I will also argue that an equally catchy song, plus equally compelling AA, but with a different IP would have been just as popular for all these decades.

Which is why I don't fear the IP change.

GoneForGood

I agree that a lot of nostalgic guests love the song/show scenes, but the draw of Splash Mountain for a new guest is the drop. They probably don't even know that a show scene is part of the deal.

I will also argue that an equally catchy song, plus equally compelling AA, but with a different IP would have been just as popular for all these decades.

Which is why I don't fear the IP change.
Admittedly, You are absolutely correct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom