Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

aladdin2007

There has to be an update to the last 35% of the attraction. There just has to be. You all that think that its not junk/wasted space are just fooling yourselves.

This, were going on nearly 15 years of that horrible mess now. They can spend spend spend on destruction and bland shops but show quality means nothing anymore.

brb1006

I don’t understand what you, God, or Pete are advocating for. You want the updates to the ride or you don’t?
Pete for Spaceship Earth's new narrator.
3b51b560620d984e32fb9e701559579b.gif

DoleWhipDrea

The fear is that with potentially major changes there could be an awful lot lost in regards to what makes the attraction so special. The limited concept art that was shared prior to the shutdown seemed to reflect WDI's current MO - eliminate most AAs and set pieces to leave giant show rooms mostly looking empty compared to what they once were. All these kids that went to design school and hopped on the minimalism train have sucked a lot of the joy and fun out of places in how they were once designed. AAs are expensive to maintain (but I mean, so is a global destination theme park in general) and so Disney continues to remove them from attractions, some removals more obvious than others. They would never build a Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion today, yet they're two of the most iconic of all Disney attractions, and would arguably get a lot of guests coming through the gates.

I personally don't have a problem with the focus on "storytelling" for the proposed new angle - that term was actually used repeatedly in the OG version of SSE. I'd rather see the Greeks performing a play as opposed to what they're doing now. Just a few adjustments here and there, and the core idea of what SSE is actually for the most part stays the same at heart. Communication and storytelling go hand in hand.

I'd like to see significant changes starting from the lead-in to what was once seeing the potential spaceship in SSE. With the technology we have today, I would like to see WDI revisit the idea of the 180 top and bring it to fruition. I would like the lady in the control tower talking to some astronauts floating in space again. Give us a real look towards the future and the stars. Which would then lead into the last bit that needs the most attention. The final descent absolutely needs an overhaul - screens tend to ruin a lot of attractions, IMHO. If you build something incredible, people will less-likely be staring at their phones all day.

Haymarket2008

The fear is that with potentially major changes there could be an awful lot lost in regards to what makes the attraction so special. The limited concept art that was shared prior to the shutdown seemed to reflect WDI's current MO - eliminate most AAs and set pieces to leave giant show rooms mostly looking empty compared to what they once were. All these kids that went to design school and hopped on the minimalism train have sucked a lot of the joy and fun out of places in how they were once designed. AAs are expensive to maintain (but I mean, so is a global destination theme park in general) and so Disney continues to remove them from attractions, some removals more obvious than others. They would never build a Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion today, yet they're two of the most iconic of all Disney attractions, and would arguably get a lot of guests coming through the gates.

I personally don't have a problem with the focus on "storytelling" for the proposed new angle - that term was actually used repeatedly in the OG version of SSE. I'd rather see the Greeks performing a play as opposed to what they're doing now. Just a few adjustments here and there, and the core idea of what SSE is actually for the most part stays the same at heart. Communication and storytelling go hand in hand.

I'd like to see significant changes starting from the lead-in to what was once seeing the potential spaceship in SSE. With the technology we have today, I would like to see WDI revisit the idea of the 180 top and bring it to fruition. I would like the lady in the control tower talking to some astronauts floating in space again. Give us a real look towards the future and the stars. Which would then lead into the last bit that needs the most attention. The final descent absolutely needs an overhaul - screens tend to ruin a lot of attractions, IMHO. If you build something incredible, people will less-likely be staring at their phones all day.

EXACTLY THIS ^^^^^ well said.

Poseidon Quest

As much as I think the idea of making it about "storytelling" is a fine idea in anyone else's hands, they've clearly shown that they intend to make it about IP tie-ins. From the concept art, it appears that the Phoenician scene will be rethemed to sailing Pacific islanders with a projection of Moana's grandmother flying through as a manta ray. I seriously doubt that Pacific island peoples were telling watered-down Disney stories.

Not only is it insulting, but Disney doesn't care about "storytelling" anymore. It's just a stupid buzzword that has lost all meaning in this new era of Disney parks.

Last edited:

DoleWhipDrea

As much as I think the idea of making it about "storytelling" is a fine idea in anyone else's hands, they've clearly shown that they intend to make it about IP tie-ins. From the concept art, it appears that the Phoenician scene will be rethemed to sailing Pacific islanders with a projection of Moana's grandmother flying through as a manta ray. I seriously doubt that Pacific island peoples were telling watered-down Disney stories.

Not only is it insulting, but Disney doesn't care about "storytelling" anymore. It's just a stupid buzzword that has lost all meaning in this new era of Disney parks.
I'm definitely concerned with current WDI's capabilities intermixed with expectations by the higher-ups demanding IPs be incorporated everywhere. I will say that in another thread a user posted comparison photos between the concept art and stills from Moana, and the rays didn't match. But it does still feel like they're coyly trying to toe the line. Chapek did insist at the beginning of his description of the refurb back during D23 that they would not be taking away the history that is such an integral piece of the attraction. I sincerely hope that the intention was to stick to a realistic portrayal of various groups of people throughout the world's history. At this point it seems that WDI is more concerned with avoiding any disrespect towards various groups of people.
That's an issue, because now they want people staring at their phones all day to get those precious boarding passes or buy stuff. 😕
Yeah :confused: The Galaxy's Edge phone interactions go a little too hard without delivering much of a payoff (besides just draining your phone battery.) I wish that "followed reputation" thing stuck the landing, but I can't blame CMs just trying to get guests through transactions quickly and efficiently with how crowded places get. It's a real shame that they slashed the planned entertainment. It's the missing piece to really legitimize the land and keep guests engaged.

I loathe the boarding pass system and I can't understand why WDI built an attraction that would be so unreliable. It's quite an experience when it works, but after an opening season it shouldn't be such a challenge for every guest to have the opportunity to ride. Boarding passes shouldn't be the norm and vacations shouldn't be so stressful.

Mickeynerd17

I loathe the boarding pass system and I can't understand why WDI built an attraction that would be so unreliable. It's quite an experience when it works, but after an opening season it shouldn't be such a challenge for every guest to have the opportunity to ride. Boarding passes shouldn't be the norm and vacations shouldn't be so stressful.
Exactly. I remember when HWS was a relaxing park experience. Ever since RotR opened, your entire day revolves around getting on that ride, and you seriously miss or can't fully enjoy other attractions because your constantly worried you won't get your boarding pass. It's extremely annoying and I wish there was a better way to solve this issue.

Heck, Epcot opened to every pavilion having lines stretching around Future World, and they didn't need a Boarding Pass, even with JII and it's unreliability. I really don't see how RotR is any different.

ppete1975

Exactly. I remember when HWS was a relaxing park experience. Ever since RotR opened, your entire day revolves around getting on that ride, and you seriously miss or can't fully enjoy other attractions because your constantly worried you won't get your boarding pass. It's extremely annoying and I wish there was a better way to solve this issue.

Heck, Epcot opened to every pavilion having lines stretching around Future World, and they didn't need a Boarding Pass, even with JII and it's unreliability. I really don't see how RotR is any different.
any of the rides there had the capacity in an hour that rise has all day... if it works

MaximumEd

any of the rides there had the capacity in an hour that rise has all day... if it works
Yep. I remember Martin saying one time that the original FW pavilions combined capacity was somewhere around 25k per hour, if I am remembering that correctly. That’s crazy. If there had been 100k in the whole park, every single person could have done everything in FW twice in an 8 hour day.

ppete1975

Yep. I remember Martin saying one time that the original FW pavilions combined capacity was somewhere around 25k per hour, if I am remembering that correctly. That’s crazy. If there had been 100k in the whole park, every single person could have done everything in FW twice in an 8 hour day.
thats how everything should be built in a theme park.... you can stretch boundaries, you can create, you can dream... but someone at the end needs to say.. ok how can we simplify this.. how can we do this and still get better capacity... disney for the last 20 years have over complicated their designs.... they need a rational bob gurr style person.

ppete1975

we can only dream, and i hope youre right but judging by what they have been doing.
the spaceship would be.......
1626119595947.png

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Well, the rides were too long to realistically accomplish that, but yes, that’s basically right.

sedati

Narration can be a rather lazy form of storytelling and a crutch. Much like slow-moving diorama rides, EPCOT used them far too often though it also set the bar for theme park info-dump incredibly high. Learning something by being told is fine. Learning something by self-discovery is far more engaging and lasting (IMHO).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom