FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Simplicity, Disney is not going to create a new product (Premier Access) so it doesn’t sell.

Disney is investing IT development cost on this. They are going to demand a profit. They are going to figure out ways so that sales meet or exceed expectations.

Remember, there is no “slow time of the year anymore.” It’s not like the old days when I could arrive in late September and walk on everything.

Today’s WDW is either “crowded” or “really crowded”. Most amusement park operators wish their peak daily attendance reached what qualifies as a “slow day” at today’s WDW.

Disney absolutely is planning on selling lots of Premier Access passes every day.

I used to frequently write that Disney needs to build a 5th theme park in order to solve their current capacity problem.

With Premier Access in mind, I now realize Disney does NOT want to solve their capacity problem. With Premier Access, Disney is now financially motivated to make their capacity problem worse.
They were never going to build another park…diminishing returns after Dak…and they’ve made no secret about their intention to monetize every square inch.

the “family influenced” management left along time ago…culminating in the death of Roy E in 2009.

no gatekeeper anymore

Waters Back Side

I don't think anyone here is seriously thinking that - one main point of the whole discussion has been centered on the requirement of having to pay for FPs. Even if they do offer 1 freebie as you suggest, that still means you have to shell out $ for any additional. And the possibility of having to book virtual standby queues is the other main point of all of this.

I'll go a step further. I maintain my original stances...guests on site will get three. 1 top attraction and 2 of the lesser like always. Then they will have to pay for anything additional. Of course there could be the occasional...free offer...ride choice of Tea cups or Small world for free at 730pm. Click yes to accept offer. Where MOST offers will be..."need more thrill to your day? For 22 dollars a guest you and your party can enjoy a fast pass to Test Track. Sometimes you might see offers that the regular Disney guests or people like a lot of us would not fall for...want to ride Pirates? Purchase now for 15 per guest in your party and get Jungle crusie for free. Disney now has an opportunity to STILL monetize FP and keep guests satisfied so they either keep coming back or spending money some other way.

I guess we will see if I'm right but it makes more sense then to assume guests will need to come up with hundreds of dollars lore to ride the rides they spent money to come to Disney for.

I can see off site guests being charged for all or most rides. That is a legitimate possibility.

ParentsOf4

Disney can manipulate capacity. Run one track on space mountain. No reason why FP sales have to be limited to busy days
The scariest part of this is that Disney will be able to reduce operating expenses AND increase demand for Premier Access.

Tell me what executive (who wants a big bonus) is not going to do this, given the opportunity.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll go a step further. I maintain my original stances...guests on site will get three. 1 top attraction and 2 of the lesser like always. Then they will have to pay for anything additional. Of course there could be tue occasional...free wish or offer...ride choice of Tea cups or Small world for free at 730om. Click yes to accept offer. Where MOST offers will be..."need .ore thrill to your day? For 22 dollars a guest you and your party can enjoy a fast pass to Test Track. Sometimes you might see offers that the regular Disney guests or people like a lot of us would not fall for...want to ride Pirates? Purchase now for 15 per guest in your party and get Jungle crusie for free. Disney now has an opportunity to STILL monetize FP and keep guests satisfied so they either keep coming back or spending money some other way.

I guess we will ssd if I'm right but it makes more sense then to assume guests will need to come up with hundreds of dollars lore to ride the rides they spent money to come to Disney for.
I think you’re confusing Disney parks with Amazon prime day…

when in the last ten years have you ever gotten the impression that they need to sell blue light specials?

they went through the biggest recession in history and a planetary health crisis and will RAISE prices both times.

mgf

They wouldn't need to go to a dynamic model if they capped the number of fastpasses below what they would have had previously. Let's say they gave out 1100 free fastpasses per hour for 7DMT before, which drove up standby waits pretty steadily. If they were to launch this with 700 fastpasses per hour and 150 DAS passes per hour, then that still allows the standby line to move more people and at $10 per paid pass brings in 7k per hour. For simplicity let's put that for 10 hours a day uptime and a total of 70k per day or roughly $25,000,000 of fastpass revenue for this one ride in a year if I assume 5 maintenance days. That's 25 mil for one ride in one year if they sell out. I can't assume they would every hour, but this line is consistently 45+ minutes without fastpass and I think they would sell at least 500 per hour on average. A ton of money for one ride, and I expect even Small World could generate

Then if the demand is through the roof they can use the old "tiered" pass system to charge different prices per tier and raise certain rides to 15 or 20 bucks. I would expect "unprecedented" demand if they capped them at a reasonable level and didn't anger the masses with price gouging.

There is one way I could support dynamic pricing, and that is for re-rides. If you have already purchases a FP for one ride, the next one you purchase could cost more. That would discourage people from burnin through all the paid options for a popular ride before others have a chance to get on, but doesn't penalize the person who got to the park at 11am.

This is a non-optimized approach as discussed in my previous post in this thread. That is not the way to maximize revenues. As a consumer not my ideal, but as a business:

I would be showing different prices to deluxe, mod, value, good neighbor, offsite, in-state AP, out of state AP, multiday, day, and after 4pm guests as a baseline. Then I would be looking at real-time inventory as a way to do surge pricing. I would also factor how many potential hours the guest has in the park before close. Custom pricing to maximize every transaction will lead to max revenues. Now your costs to get that system could be exorbitant, so I am not saying this is the max profit model.

Oh, and I would also want to be looking at turnstile clicks to move guests around. Attendance at AK down? Throw out $5 straight to the front of the line offers for FOP to a guest at another park or one who has not checked in for the day. Space over capacity but Thunder lagging? How about $3 off your next ride if you claim it in 60 minutes.

Again, I do not think Disney will pull this off and will go with the approach you describe above. It might be the best way to get the job down based on their current in house capabilities.

Waters Back Side

I think you’re confusing Disney parks with Amazon prime day…

when in the last ten years have you ever gotten the impression that they need to sell blue light specials?

they went through the biggest recession in history and a planetary health crisis and will RAISE prices both times.

Because if they have the opportunity to make money on it they will. Without jeopardizing losing the loyal Disney vacationers like myself from cancelling and never going again.

I'm not saying they will offer deals like that. They might or might not. But there will be no incentive during busy peak times like holidays. Simmer and spring break for someone to come to Disney and stay in a disney hotel without some assurance they get to go on the rides they ALREADY paid for..

Basil of Baker Street

I'm not convinced this will be implemented in WDW. I think it makes more sense for shorter term destinations i.e. DL, DLP, Universal, etc.

Its easier to cough up a few hundred extra for a 2-3 day vacation than somewhere like WDW that people stay 7-10 day. And no I don't think Disney wants people to shorten their trip.

Reactions: MJM

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
If they set the cost of a FP too low, you start a death spiral for the standby line.
The number of FP$ can simply be limited in inventory, just like the Standby-Access is under the DLP scheme.

But I do agree that they can be subject to not only seasonal pricing, but dynamic surge pricings. As FP inventory for a particular ride starts to sell out, the cost keeps going up til it hits its max. It's what Broadway theaters do (a scheme pioneered by Disney shows!).

It could wind up being too complicated for guests. And it rewards rope-dropping (which the DLP scheme also does).

Anyway, I reserve my rage until I know what WDW will actually be doing.

britain

I'm not sure what's "more financially straightforward" about not knowing how much you'll be paying to ride certain rides until you're in the park that day. Right now, you know the cost of your ticket and (when FP+ was active) what rides/attractions you're guaranteed to experience once you made your 3 choices. If this new system were to make its way over here, you would only know the cost of your ticket ahead of time.

it’s financially straightforward for Disney to see which attractions are worth keeping/updating/replacing.

matt9112

That is not correct. Disney is literally offering $1,000 signing bonuses for entry-level *housekeeping* positions. That's unheard of. And they still can't get people.
To be fair a lunp sum of cash dosen't make my lifestyle any better. Thats splurge cash. Increasing hourly rates is a far better option. Fast food joints are throwing 500 dollars at people. Disney could still do better.

aaronml

It will be interesting to see if Disney implements DPA at all of the WDW locations that previously had FP+. Not sure how many people will pay for an FP for JII or SSE…

havoc315

Ok. Well enjoy being on your phone half the day while trying to enjoy vacation improving your guest experience and while additional credit card transactions occur.

I suspect I'll be on my phone a lot less.... with the ability to just quickly purchase a DPA, instead of constantly refreshing the app, trying to get 4th FPs for my part of 10, having to keep adjusting to smaller parties to have any hope of getting a 4th FP... constantly checking the wait times if I can't get a FP, etc.

matt9112

I wish it were only upcharging. If they just... raised the prices of tickets and hotel rooms (more than they're doing already), I'd be much more comfortable with that than this convoluted nonsense.

I think they want more baskets for the eggs. The complex nature of it all allows them a much more detailed ability to maximize profit. Another lever to pull if you will.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It will be interesting to see if Disney implements DPA at all of the WDW locations that previously had FP+. Not sure how many people will pay for an FP for JII or SSE…
Agree it will be interesting to see. With parks that have a low attraction count, I wonder if we may in fact see it implemented at things like JII. There will always be those first timers who have no idea if it is worth paying for.

jpinkc

I dont understand the people saying the 60 Day advance Fast Pass was hard to do. In all the time we went we sat down as a group and decided, Never once did we have to juggle parks to get a Fast Pass on any day, including Frozen and Avatar (we were there the 1st or 2nd week it was open on a fluke) and got FOP. If anything for us the 60 day thing made it a bit more relaxing and easier to plan in advance how we wanted to enjoy Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom