News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Nickp1983

TRON:
Tomatometer Thumbs up/down: 71% up
Rotten Tomatoes + Metacritic critic's rating: 61%
Rotten Tomatoes + IMDB audience rating: 68% (over 170k users' rating)
Box Office Gross: $33M
Box Office Loss: $35M

TRON: Legacy
Tomatometer Thumbs up/down: 51% up
Rotten Tomatoes + Metacritic critic's rating: 54%
Rotten Tomatoes + IMDB audience rating: 69% (over 450k users' rating)
Box Office Gross: $400M
Box Office Loss: $55M

The very definition of mixed to good reviews. The second movie had lower critical scores, but the audience score remained the same -- in the 'good' range. Box office was much higher showing audience interest, but because the budget was much higher, it was a loss in the theatrical window.

Despite a mixed reception, it has become a cultural touchstone, which is fungible with interest in DVD, TV, streaming, merch, and... park attractions.

Another TRON movie (Ares) has been mentioned. Though, I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a D+ series, maybe animated. (REBOOT rebooted!!)
I think it's a pretty niche film series to be honest. Like, people know what it is, but not many people could tell you what it's about outside neon tracksuits and Jeff Daniel's pre true grit voice.

doctornick

Does anyone even like Tron?
Both movies were pretty awful. The only Tron that worked was South Park when facebook sucked Stan in and he had to fight his online self in a Tron style battle

I like Tron. Not exactly my favorite movie ever but it's an enjoyable watch - and honestly, the light cycles is probably the most iconic memorable part of the movies (also the best part of the arcade game which I dropped a bunch of quarters into back in the day).

I watched the movies not that long ago with my kids and they rather enjoyed them, so I think it's not just a nostalgia thing.

doctornick

Well, a hundred thousand people every year are going to soon be reminded it exists due to the ride.

Tens of millions when a new work from the franchise hits D+/theaters.

also, this brings up the point that an IP doesn't have to be the most popular to provide a good basis for a theme park attraction. Tron and the light cycles in particular are a fantastic medium for a ride even if the movie isn't the most well known. Conversely, just because a movie is popular doesn't mean it make for a great theme park option (I think a lot of the Marvel stuff - and I absolutely love the MCU - falls under this category).

ryguy

I know the ride won't be opening for some time, but is it possible that the canopy can be finished and lit up at night before the opening? Or would they wait and do it all together?
Good question, I am curious about this too. One would think you would put the canopy up now before you work on the ground level.

JoeCamel

I know the ride won't be opening for some time, but is it possible that the canopy can be finished and lit up at night before the opening? Or would they wait and do it all together?
Unless they do some landscaping (they won't) I don't think they want to light it. With the way things are going I would expect the pause to be lifted and construction to continue in the near future.

Stupido

I wish, but I doubt it. I was watching a video on youtube talking about the build process, and they got some crazy close up of the canopy.. it looks hella dirty. They're going to have to either deep clean it, or repaint the entire canopy, and I doubt they'd do too much more for the canopy before they clear up all of the dirt it's sitting on. Here's to hoping though

lazyboy97o

I wish, but I doubt it. I was watching a video on youtube talking about the build process, and they got some crazy close up of the canopy.. it looks hella dirty. They're going to have to either deep clean it, or repaint the entire canopy, and I doubt they'd do too much more for the canopy before they clear up all of the dirt it's sitting on. Here's to hoping though
Cleaning everything is part of a standard construction contract.

Last edited:

GladToBeHear

Does anyone even like Tron?
Both movies were pretty awful. The only Tron that worked was South Park when facebook sucked Stan in and he had to fight his online self in a Tron style battle
I do. And I'm in the minority (I assume) that's looking forward to this attraction. I hate that it's so short -- and I don't necessarily agree with the placement. But since my favorite park is literally in shambles (Epcot) -- I'll take what I can get right now.

wishiwere@wdw

I honestly hesitated posting this because I still don’t believe it myself but someone I have decent faith in is claiming there is going to be a full court press to get this thing done by October 1st??? Again, HUGE grain of salt and I realize they could be messing with me but I wanted to throw it out there to see if I’m the only one hearing this. Is that even possible at this point? I suspect I’ll be seeing this post in October and finding that it didn’t age well but the information seemed rather sincere.

fgmnt

I honestly hesitated posting this because I still don’t believe it myself but someone I have decent faith in is claiming there is going to be a full court press to get this thing done by October 1st??? Again, HUGE grain of salt and I realize they could be messing with me but I wanted to throw it out there to see if I’m the only one hearing this. Is that even possible at this point? I suspect I’ll be seeing this post in October and finding that it didn’t age well but the information seemed rather sincere.
If this were true, it would have been announced already a la the Rat.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
pressure washing is happening
Tron_Full_42057.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom