News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

peter11435

This discussion got me thinking today about how badly they’ve screwed up DHS thematically. There are thematic issues with every single non-castle park now (yes even DisneySea) but DHS is up there with DCA as being one of the worst. Losing GMR was a huge loss in that sense.

Particularly sad because it seems like it was very thematically cohesive when it opened and they could’ve still rebooted the park while keeping the theme tight if they had just re-branded it as the “non Disney/Pixar property park” by keeping all Star Wars, Marvel, 20th Century Fox stuff in there.
I don’t think there are any significant thematic issues with animal kingdom.

peter11435

Blue space aliens don't come to mind when I consider the animal kingdom, but suit yourself.
The park never set out to only include real animals. Imaginary/mythical creatures were always intended. And the parks core theme is not animals themselves. The parks core themes of mans relationship with the natural world and the intrinsic value of nature are carried through Pandora.

Nickp1983

Not understanding how people don't see how Avatar fits. Wasn't the entire movie about how destroying nature and indigenous species was awful and we need to protect the world around us? Seems rather fitting in a park that pushes that same message.

Also... it has a giant squirting object that you rub back and forth... that shoots liquid at the guests. Hahahahaha. Im still amazed that it's there... and seeing parents cheer their kids on as they do it... well...

Disstevefan1

Not understanding how people don't see how Avatar fits. Wasn't the entire movie about how destroying nature and indigenous species was awful and we need to protect the world around us? Seems rather fitting in a park that pushes that same message.

Also... it has a giant squirting object that you rub back and forth... that shoots liquid at the guests. Hahahahaha. Im still amazed that it's there... and seeing parents cheer their kids on as they do it... well...
I have always thought of Avatar as Pocahontas in space 😀. I really don’t mind that it doesn’t fit.

FOP is the best attraction at WDW today in my opinion.

doctornick

This discussion got me thinking today about how badly they’ve screwed up DHS thematically. There are thematic issues with every single non-castle park now (yes even DisneySea) but DHS is up there with DCA as being one of the worst. Losing GMR was a huge loss in that sense.

Particularly sad because it seems like it was very thematically cohesive when it opened and they could’ve still rebooted the park while keeping the theme tight if they had just re-branded it as the “non Disney/Pixar property park” by keeping all Star Wars, Marvel, 20th Century Fox stuff in there.

I totally disagree. I think the park is much better positioned by being a "living the world of movies" set up then the previous behind the scenes set up that ended up being uneven and haphazard. Behind the scenes works fantastic when you are a working studio with a ton of history and nostalgia (e.g. Universal in Hollywood) but comes across way too fake and pandering when it's made up behind the scenes. Once DHS loss the actual movie making that was going on.

Now, I think that there would be a place for one section of the part being devoted to some aspects of movie making (and think GMR would have been good to keep around as a kind of thesis statement attraction) but would love to see Disney go even harder in the current plans and create multiple other immersive worlds.

Of course, I'm one of those folks who thinks that classic Disney/MGM kinda sucked with too little to do any way too much time and space devoted to the Backot tour.

doctornick

No. Where would the third domestic resort go?

Just to be clear for those who keep misunderstanding: the question is about where a third resort would go in the US besides Anaheim and Orlando if WDW wanted to build a third resorts to draw away from WDW and DLR.

(The answer is presumably somewhere in Texas, I would think, given the population and central location).

The Aracuan Bird

Just to be clear for those who keep misunderstanding: the question is about where a third resort would go in the US besides Anaheim and Orlando if WDW wanted to build a third resorts to draw away from WDW and DLR.

(The answer is presumably somewhere in Texas, I would think, given the population and central location).
Yes that’s what I thought we were talking about.

Nickp1983

Does anyone even like Tron?
Both movies were pretty awful. The only Tron that worked was South Park when facebook sucked Stan in and he had to fight his online self in a Tron style battle

GimpYancIent

Both movies were pretty awful. The only Tron that worked was South Park when facebook sucked Stan in and he had to fight his online self in a Tron style battle
Instead of Tron themed Light-cycles the theme could be Star Wars and Speeder-bikes the coaster will still be a "coaster" and coaster fans will ride it, in droves.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

TRON:
Tomatometer Thumbs up/down: 71% up
Rotten Tomatoes + Metacritic critic's rating: 61%
Rotten Tomatoes + IMDB audience rating: 68% (over 170k users' rating)
Box Office Gross: $33M
Box Office Loss: $35M

TRON: Legacy
Tomatometer Thumbs up/down: 51% up
Rotten Tomatoes + Metacritic critic's rating: 54%
Rotten Tomatoes + IMDB audience rating: 69% (over 450k users' rating)
Box Office Gross: $400M
Box Office Loss: $55M

The very definition of mixed to good reviews. The second movie had lower critical scores, but the audience score remained the same -- in the 'good' range. Box office was much higher showing audience interest, but because the budget was much higher, it was a loss in the theatrical window.

Despite a mixed reception, it has become a cultural touchstone, which is fungible with interest in DVD, TV, streaming, merch, and... park attractions.

Another TRON movie (Ares) has been mentioned. Though, I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a D+ series, maybe animated. (REBOOT rebooted!!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom