Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree.

But let's look at how the government works in a federal republic of 50 states like ours. In 2005 the federal government mandated that all 50 states had to align and tighten their processes on issuing driver's licenses and state ID's to make things safer and ID more reliable. It was called the Real ID act and Congress and President Bush signed it into law in May, 2005.

Over 15 years later, the state of California still hasn't complied with the law. California and a few other states could never get their act together and update their DMV systems and processes, and they got multiple extensions to comply with the law throughout the 2010's. Sacramento bureaucrats balked and whined and made excuses for years and years on how hard it was for them, even though many other states fell into line and complied.

Knowing all that, you'll have to excuse me when anyone suggests that all 50 states will instantly create a vaccine passport system for 330 million Americans. Until then, keep this awkwardly shaped little piece of paper with some ballpoint pen scribbles on it with you at all times! 🤣

Actually that is not true at all, all 50 states are compliant with Real ID, and California has been issuing Real ID since 2018.

As stated in this DHS announcement:

California was certified as Real ID compliant back in April 2019, even though the CA DMV had been issuing Real ID since January 2018. In addition certification only started in 2012 not 2005, prior to 2012 NO state was compliant with Real ID, none, zero, zilch. So its been between 2012 and 2019 a majority of stated became certified, with only 3 left needing to be certified in 2020. So in reality California was in the pack of that were certified during that 7 year period. So this idea you have that California still hasn't complied with Real ID is BS.

SuddenStorm

Ya I’m contemplating switching one of my days to start at DCA. If we get enough done there in those first four hours, it could actually mean more time at Disneyland than if we started both days there. I’ll be monitoring DCA wait times closely tmrw.

Do they require you to park hop? Or could you just spend a day in Disneyland?

I almost wonder if it's worth starting at DCA for the first day day- get in Soarin', Guardians, Grizzly, Toy Story. Then hop on over to Disneyland for the first time and spend the remainder day and a half there. As God intended.

CaptinEO

So we had a great time. Low lines all around. So glad to have Disneyland back. I won't review Disneyland and the rides itsself as there's no need, here's what's different:

I called Anaheim Hotel and the Mariott and both informed me they weren't offering parking that day, so we went to Mickey and Friends. The tram walk is brutal, especially at the end of the day. Is there a law/rule stopping them from running trams?

Sometimes it gets confusing where each line starts since queues are outdoor only and have to be managed that way.

For example when we waited for Haunted Mansion the queue started all the way at Splash Mountain's Fastpass return area, Snow White was at Main St by Adventureland.

But you walk up to the attraction and don't know where the line starts so you have to follow the line to see where it starts.

Not Disney's fault as their hand is forced with the outdoor queue rule.

The removal of fastpass has made the experience a million times better. No more planning, and the lines move so fast, as intended, that you never feel like you are stuck in a line. This is so nice and I hope fastpass never returns. You just get to enjoy your day and go on the rides you want. I've never seen Indy, Star Tours, Radiator Springs, or Space Mountain's lines move so fast. This is great!

Naples prices have nearly doubled, that's no exaggeration either. Everything there is much more expensive. We actually got really good service there for the first time ever, but the restaurant was empty.

Cafe Orleans now sells Mint Juleps (free refills). The Monte Cristo instead of a 3 piece sandwhich just has 2 pieces and comes with the parmesan fries (big improvement IMO).

No stores / stands were open in all of Critter Country, so nowhere to get Splash Merchandise. Mr Owl from my avatar was not there, although the owl at the end of the ride that talks about your photo was on, talking, and glitching out (with a spotlight on him too).

We were able to get ROTR queue 3 times in 2020 with no issues, but could not get it today. When everyone is at home trying to get it and don't have to rise at dawn it makes it too competitive. Not a huge deal as we had a million other fun things to do.

The Main Street candy shop (bakery) has 3 counters that all have the same items, and they have maybe 1/4 of the selection they used to have.

The waving characters that are far in the background are really fun to walk by and add good energy, but I'd never want to take a photo with a character 30 ft away.

Photopass is 15 dollars to buy downloads for one photo or 20 for unlimited photos per day. Not worth it, especially since you will be in masks.

I don't spoil rides with videos so here's my impression of the new additions:

Haunted Mansion employee asked if we wanted to take the stairs and I said "could we please do the elevator" and she rolled her eyes at us 😆. I guess most people always say yes to that question. HM ride itsself is the same besides the fact that you can see the ghosts way more easily in the ballroom and graveyard, I've never seen them so clear before.

Snow White was excellent and we were really impressed. They truly captured the charm of the movie and it looks and feels very magical. There's one part where a mirror shows Snow White eating an apple that felt completely random, but besides that the ride was great.

Overall we had an absolutely amazing time. The low lines make it a great time to go and it's certainly unique to see how Disney handles covid rules on each ride.

If it's someone's first time to Disneyland I'd say wait and go when you can get a full experience. But if you just want rides this is a great opportunity.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Ya I’m contemplating switching one of my days to start at DCA. If we get enough done there in those first four hours, it could actually mean more time at Disneyland than if we started both days there. I’ll be monitoring DCA wait times closely tmrw.
We started at DL yesterday and will start at DCA next week. I say do it. It's good to experience both parks at different times of day at the very least.

Disneyland's walkways will appear more crowded after 1pm, but the wait times remained constant all day. From opening to closing we did not see any changes in wait times at all.

mickEblu

I almost wonder if it's worth starting at DCA for the first day day- get in Soarin', Guardians, Grizzly, Toy Story. Then hop on over to Disneyland for the first time and spend the remainder day and a half there. As God intended.

No they don’t require it. Lol Yeah I’m thinking the same thing. Of course, if I really just wanted to stay at DL I could had bought 2 day 1 park tickets but I want to have my cake and eat it too. Also, a 2 day - one park for 1 day and 1 day park hopper combo wasn’t an option.

mickEblu

Never mind. By 9:30am RSR was 60 min, GOTG 45 min, and Soarin 45 min. DCA may not have sold as many tickets but they also have less capacity. So looks like spending two glorious mornings at DL was the right way to go. Only downside is their probably won’t be any way to escape a very long line for RSR.

Day 1 I’m going straight to POTC because it’s only right and it averages 45 minutes waits all day. Then probably HM, then Splash. My wife walked off of the Super Silly Fun land spinner ride at USH because she didn’t want it to be my 8 month old daughters first ride. Lol. Now it’s going to be Pirates of the Caribbean. What an upgrade.

Last edited:

mickEblu

So we had a great time. Low lines all around. So glad to have Disneyland back. I won't review Disneyland and the rides itsself as there's no need, here's what's different:

I called Anaheim Hotel and the Mariott and both informed me they weren't offering parking that day, so we went to Mickey and Friends. The tram walk is brutal, especially at the end of the day. Is there a law/rule stopping them from running trams?

Sometimes it gets confusing where each line starts since queues are outdoor only and have to be managed that way.

For example when we waited for Haunted Mansion the queue started all the way at Splash Mountain's Fastpass return area, Snow White was at Main St by Adventureland.

But you walk up to the attraction and don't know where the line starts so you have to follow the line to see where it starts.

Not Disney's fault as their hand is forced with the outdoor queue rule.

The removal of fastpass has made the experience a million times better. No more planning, and the lines move so fast, as intended, that you never feel like you are stuck in a line. This is so nice and I hope fastpass never returns. You just get to enjoy your day and go on the rides you want. I've never seen Indy, Star Tours, Radiator Springs, or Space Mountain's lines move so fast. This is great!

Naples prices have nearly doubled, that's no exaggeration either. Everything there is much more expensive. We actually got really good service there for the first time ever, but the restaurant was empty.

Cafe Orleans now sells Mint Juleps (free refills). The Monte Cristo instead of a 3 piece sandwhich just has 2 pieces and comes with the parmesan fries (big improvement IMO).

No stores / stands were open in all of Critter Country, so nowhere to get Splash Merchandise. Mr Owl from my avatar was not there, although the owl at the end of the ride that talks about your photo was on, talking, and glitching out (with a spotlight on him too).

We were able to get ROTR queue 3 times in 2020 with no issues, but could not get it today. When everyone is at home trying to get it and don't have to rise at dawn it makes it too competitive. Not a huge deal as we had a million other fun things to do.

The Main Street candy shop (bakery) has 3 counters that all have the same items, and they have maybe 1/4 of the selection they used to have.

The waving characters that are far in the background are really fun to walk by and add good energy, but I'd never want to take a photo with a character 30 ft away.

Photopass is 15 dollars to buy downloads for one photo or 20 for unlimited photos per day. Not worth it, especially since you will be in masks.

I don't spoil rides with videos so here's my impression of the new additions:

Haunted Mansion employee asked if we wanted to take the stairs and I said "could we please do the elevator" and she rolled her eyes at us 😆. I guess most people always say yes to that question. HM ride itsself is the same besides the fact that you can see the ghosts way more easily in the ballroom and graveyard, I've never seen them so clear before.

Snow White was excellent and we were really impressed. They truly captured the charm of the movie and it looks and feels very magical. There's one part where a mirror shows Snow White eating an apple that felt completely random, but besides that the ride was great.

Overall we had an absolutely amazing time. The low lines make it a great time to go and it's certainly unique to see how Disney handles covid rules on each ride.

If it's someone's first time to Disneyland I'd say wait and go when you can get a full experience. But if you just want rides this is a great opportunity.

Glad you had a great time! Disappointed to hear their is no Splash merch. I knew all of the Critter Country stores were closed so I should have figured. Sorry to hear about to ROTR, I better not strike out 4x. Did you try at 7am and noon?

Good point on the lines moving. There is something to be said for lines constantly moving even if some of the wait times are hovering around 40 min.

Right now my game plan is to hit POTC and HM first thing in the morning as those lines hover at 45 min all day and NOS looks to get pretty congested in the afternoon. Are the actual wait times matching the posted wait times?

Did you have reservations for Cafe Orleans or standby?

CaptinEO

Glad you had a great time! Disappointed to hear their is no Splash merch. I knew all of the Critter Country stores were closed so I should have figured. Sorry to hear about to ROTR, I better not strike out 4x. Did you try at 7am and noon?

Good point on the lines moving. There is something to be said for lines constantly moving even if some of the wait times are hovering around 40 min.

Right now my game plan is to hit POTC and HM first thing in the morning as those lines hover at 45 min all day and NOS looks to get pretty congested in the afternoon. Are the actual wait times matching the posted wait times?

Did you have reservations for Cafe Orleans or standby?
Yes we tried both times. I was using the startegy of having the app closed and reopening it right at 7, but it didnt work (although it did in 2020). May be it's best now to stay in the app and keep clicking.

As for wait times. Pirates said 35 minutes but was 10 minutes (at 745 pm). Splash said 30 but was more like 15-20. Besides those ones the rest were accurate. Don't let the giant outdoor lines fool you into thinking the lines are huge.

Honestly if I had to do the day over again I'd do Indy first. We did the virtual queue thing and even when they call you up for it you have to wait 40 minutes in line.

You should do Indiana Jones first in my opinion.

Also plenty of people asked for different seats and were accommodated, so no worries on that front.

CaptinEO

I'd say besides Indy, don't worry about what rides you go on first. I couldve saved many miles walking by just going on things I was close to, as wait times stayed the same from opening to closing. Then again we entered at 915 so not exactly ropedrop, but close enough.

mickEblu

Yes we tried both times. I was using the startegy of having the app closed and reopening it right at 7, but it didnt work (although it did in 2020). May be it's best now to stay in the app and keep clicking.

As for wait times. Pirates said 35 minutes but was 10 minutes (at 745 pm). Splash said 30 but was more like 15-20. Besides those ones the rest were accurate. Don't let the giant outdoor lines fool you into thinking the lines are huge.

Honestly if I had to do the day over again I'd do Indy first. We did the virtual queue thing and even when they call you up for it you have to wait 40 minutes in line.

You should do Indiana Jones first in my opinion.

Also plenty of people asked for different seats and were accommodated, so no worries on that front.

The group I’m with often skips Indy as the kids can’t ride and it’s not necessarily any of the adults favorites. But either way you re right about starting with Indy if it’s a must ride and want to maximize your day.

It’s just we have to be a little more selective and planned out with the kids. We child switch everything with my sister and Bro in law. Meaning to say, we may sacrifice Indy. I’d definitely rather not though. Doing Indy first on Day 2 sounds like a great option.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Does anyone here have any experience taking a shuttle to the parks from the Harbor hotels post pandemic? The hotel said they are not running on a loop anymore and to download the Trip Shot app. So it’s now working like Uber. A whole shuttle is going to come pick up me and my family?

CaptinEO

The group I’m with often skips Indy as the kids can’t ride and it’s not necessarily any of the adults favorites. But either way you re right about starting with Indy if it’s a must ride and want to maximize your day.

It’s just we have to be a little more selective and planned out with the kids. We child switch everything with my sister and Bro in law. Meaning to say, we may sacrifice Indy. I’d definitely rather not though. Doing Indy first on Day 2 sounds like a great option.
Oh got it, I see. I mean if youre not doing Indy and are there at exactly rope drop Haunted Mansion would be the first as that had the longest waits all day (50 minutes). But like I said from 15 minutes after opening til we left at 830, the wait times were identical. I wouldn't stress too much over where to go first, it's a different experience.

As my wife put it she wishes we could pay double each time we visit if it
means we get to keep the crowds like this permanently.

CaptinEO

For the trams, I believe it was just Disney's decision on that one. Not enough space to queue people to socially distant. Faster to have everyone walk
Got it, I got a survey this morning and let them
know how negatively it impacted the experience (it was one of the questions on there).

CaptinEO

Also, if you leave and return to the same park close to 1pm, you do not have to wait in the big lines with the parkhoppers as theres a separate admission line for those who are returning to that park.

mickEblu

Oh got it, I see. I mean if youre not doing Indy and are there at exactly rope drop Haunted Mansion would be the first as that had the longest waits all day (50 minutes). But like I said from 15 minutes after opening til we left at 830, the wait times were identical. I wouldn't stress too much over where to go first, it's a different experience.

As my wife put it she wishes we could pay double each time we visit if it
means we get to keep the crowds like this permanently.

That’s a good point and that’s a good mind set to have anyway. It takes us out of the “maximize the day”/ attraction relay race mindset (which is hard to avoid sometimes) and into the enjoy the parks mindset.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom