Official Moving to Orlando Thread... aka, ASK THE LOCALS!

Lilofan

Look into Windermere Prep.

Also, Lake Highland has been around forever. Highly rated school.
Lake Highland was founded in 1970 when white families wanted their own school for their kids during the desegregation times . The prep school also mandatory drug tests all students and it has also drug tests any student that the school deemed acting suspiciously during the school year. It has a competitive sports program in that it recruits kids from Central FL .

MrMcDuck

Lake Highland was founded in 1970 when whites wanted their own school for their kids during the desegregation times . The prep school also drug tests their students in sports and has also drug tests any student that the school deemed acting suspiciously.
Yes, it has that history. It's not alone in that. Many whites sent their kids to private school to avoid integration. Not acceptable, but it happened. I was unaware of the drug testing.

But it's one of the best private schools in Orlando.

Lilofan

Yes, it has that history. It's not alone in that. Many whites sent their kids to private school to avoid integration. Not acceptable, but it happened. I was unaware of the drug testing.

But it's one of the best private schools in Orlando.
I corrected myself. The prep school actually mandatory drug tests all students not just in sports, randomly tests students during the year and also when the teacher deems any student as acting suspiciously.

bhg469

I just completely forgot about this thread and started one of my own a few weeks ago. My wife and I are going down to Orlando this weekend to look for temporary places to live while we house hunt. We are really digging the hunter's creek area but we aren't locked in anywhere specific yet.

Figments Friend

Great thread full of a lot of good info.
I check in here periodically just out of interest, as I used to live in Florida back in the early 1980s.
A very different 'Florida' back then.

I have a close friend who over the past year has been seriously considering moving down to Florida from MA.
I've talked to him about this several times, not trying to discourage him, but trying to instill how important it is he does some research.
Moving down to Florida to 'work for Disney' is not all cupcakes and rainbows.
He is going down as the typical NorthEasterner , looking for a change of life and dreaming of working for the Theme Parks.
We have all heard the story before....and many here may share it even.

I have been slightly concerned, as I am not 100% sure he has really thought this through....as sometimes you can get blinded by the stardust in your eyes and not see the big picture.
He is looking at it as a big life change, and as a way to escape his current living situation ( expensive morgage payments, passing of his wife a couple of years ago, etc. )
As my friend, naturally I want him to be happy....but I also don't want him to fall into the hole many others before him in his situation have had to go through.
I've brought some of the lesser appealing aspects forward for his consideration, but he is steaming ahead.
Hoping he knows what he is doing....

He was down in the Orlando area a few weeks ago to look around at possible homes, and found a couple of options.
His friend / boss has also recently made him a offer on a home she has owned for some time ( second , 'vacation' home )...and naturally he is keen on the offer.
I don't blame him, not one bit....but he still needs to think about employment and moving into a more permanent place.

His plan right now is to sell his house in MA to escape his high mortgage payments, and stay at his friend/ soon to be former boss's place for six to eight months, paying her rent / lease rate.
During that time he wants to start work at either one of the Disney Theme Parks, or other options.
He also plans to look for his own home to buy during that six / eight month time.

Hoping it works out for him.
I don't want to discourage what he feels he really wants to do at this stage in his life but I also have to say I am also concerned.
Too many times I have seen this happen with others ( my own mom, included ) and it just doesn't work out.
Time will tell...but thanks everyone for all the good insights here.

-

Last edited:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
As my wife and I plan a potential escape from Miami (the rent is too **** high!) and my return to Orlando, does anyone have any thoughts on Maitland?

We want to be close enough to the parks to be regulars, but far enough that we can also enjoy local culture, and it seems that the housing price increases in Orlando haven't been hitting Maitland as hard as other parts of Orange County.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
As my wife and I plan a potential escape from Miami (the rent is too **** high!) and my return to Orlando, does anyone have any thoughts on Maitland?

We want to be close enough to the parks to be regulars, but far enough that we can also enjoy local culture, and it seems that the housing price increases in Orlando haven't been hitting Maitland as hard as other parts of Orange County.
I used to live in Maitland, though back in the late 70's through early 80's. It was a nice area at the time. Haven't been back in years, so sorry I couldn't be more help.

some other guy

I've been around 434 and the 414 for a while, decent enough. Things get more dodgy as you get further south down 434.
I bike just about every day, don't feel particularly unsafe (aside from loltraffic). The homeless tend to keep to themselves.
Had a bike stolen once, and a random New Years Eve bullet though a window.
For a decade and a half that's not too bad.

some other guy

Looking at Seminole County now
that basically starts at the north side of the 414
but yeah iirc things drop in price once you get a bit further out from the main Central FL sprawl like Lake Mary ish or further up I-4
I've heard Ocala can be worth looking at but it's pretty far from the main area

bhg469

Haven't visited this site or thread for a long time... Probably because we live Hunters creek and have been in the Orlando area since June. It has been a fantastic decision to come down here.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Update 2. Put an offer on a condo in Maitland today. But it's a backup offer, as I was second.
and I withdrew my offer based on mortgage rates.

I'll wait and rent for a year or two while the prices go down again and just buy all cash then.

Lilofan

Haven't visited this site or thread for a long time... Probably because we live Hunters creek and have been in the Orlando area since June. It has been a fantastic decision to come down here.
How's that light rail construction going through your area neighborhood that takes guests from MCO straight to WDW?

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Lease is signed. We're moving to Windermere-adjacent Ocoee to be close to family. Would've preferred the greater Downtown Orlando area (but not downtown proper), but proximity to family won out.

With that out of the day, anyone have recommendations for movers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom