Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPromey

Oh, sweetie! (I say that with love). I can relate. As an eternally shy person, I don’t mind hiding behind a mask. Of course, my partner is like... stop. We knew it was bad when I started checking in the mirror before going out to see if a particular mask made me look fat. Seriously.

Well thank you! The slightly disturbing number of likes that post got has me wondering how many of you know me in real life now. ;)

Nubs70

Israel already published a special note saying vaccines seems to work against this strain. Not a scientific paper but observations. We have to wait to see the real life results. Again there is more than 5500 strain and mutation (and counting) since one year, the vaccines (pzifer/moderna at least) work against all. AZ/JJ seems to work less. Don't panic folks, even if one is more contagious or more resistant to vaccine, a quick modification of the ARNm vaccines (few weeks..) and we are ready to go again. Be glad to be in a country with this level of science...it's just phenomenal the work accomplished in only one year :)
And they say this is a naturally occurring virus.

DisneyCane

Florida seems to be going “all in” on the issue of banning vaccine passports. The EO isn’t worth the paper it’s written on, but the legislature is considering a bill prohibiting such passports. I believe Texas and Arizona are also considering bans. Going to be interesting if and when businesses get to the point of wanting them. Schools will be a particularly tricky matter.
Exactly. I don't believe the Governor has the authority for this to be done via EO (nor do I believe any of the COVID related EOs are actually legal under FL law). However, the legislature can pass a law to ban vaccine passports. Such a ban would not be unconstitutional at a State or Federal level.

It won't really be tricky if the legislature bans them. A business can want them but won't legally be allowed to require them at that point.

DisneyCane

For a good laugh, go back and read the last 10 pages (probably any 10), and replace the word “mask” with “pants” in every post. Remember to visualize while you do. ;)
First of all, pants aren't required by law. You just need to wear something that covers genitals. This has been a norm of human civilization for thousands of years and doesn't restrict a bodily function nor does it restrict nonverbal communication using facial expressions. A properly worn mask which might do something to limit viral spread does both of those.

DisneyCane

I’m no vaccine expert, but if a different strain did pose resistance to the current options, wouldn’t they be able to use the same technology to just create a new vaccine? I know it won’t be immediate, but shouldn’t it be much quicker if they do need to pivot?

“of a more contagious strain that causes more severe illness and appears to be resistant to antibodies.” Does this mean the vaccine, or covid related antibodies. They mean two very different things.

Yes, this is one of the great things about the MRNA vaccine, they can be quickly adapted to new variants. When they first started work on the coronavirus, once they had the genetic code of the virus, it only took a few days to develop the vaccine. The rest of the time was just testing.

We almost certainly would use the same tools, but with the lag time to develop, test, approve and manufacture the vaccine, we'd always need to play catch-up.

The mRNA vaccines represent the best option, because they can be retooled as soon as you know the complete structure of the new protein target.

The practical issue is that, whatever the acceptance rate ends up being for the vaccine, it will be lower for any future variant booster (or standard booster).

correcaminos

Starting today anyone 60 or older can walk into any state-run vaccination site and be vaccinated on the spot. Hopefully people will take advantage of this. I bet that within a week or 2 the age will be lowered.
Some places here are doing this now though no age limit (except 16 or 18 per the FDA approvals). I think that will be helpful here too. Some just do not want to take the time to schedule.

Our pediatrician even is running Pfizer clinics. Impatiently waiting for 12-15 to be approved.

ToTBellHop

Apparently we are very close to 3 feet of social distance over 6 feet. The reasoning will be, once we reach 50% of Americans vaccinated (likely sometime in June), in a group of people spaced 3 feet apart, we would expect, on average, people susceptible to the virus will still be at least 6 feet apart.

Nice.

Thankfully, the only states with leaders who care about social distancing also have the highest vaccination rates and are already moving to adopt this rule change.

Here are states either above 50% or likely getting there in the next couple weeks:
D55AE8D8-2E4E-44BB-8D83-E0D1237A5FCD.png

5289E023-0213-4567-8AE5-8DB755494F41.png

JoeCamel

Apparently we are very close to 3 feet of social distance over 6 feet. The reasoning will be, once we reach 50% of Americans vaccinated (likely sometime in June), in a group of people spaced 3 feet apart, we would expect, on average, people susceptible to the virus will still be at least 6 feet apart.

Nice.

Thankfully, the only states with leaders who care about social distancing also have the highest vaccination rates and are already moving to adopt this rule change.

Here are states either above 50% or likely getting there in the next couple weeks:
View attachment 551436
View attachment 551437
Its like the speed limits. The highway engineers know people will drive faster so they set them lower than what they really expect the road to carry.
People are doing the 3 feet with masks (or closer) so having it 6 produces that effect. Dropping it to three they might as well say don't bother with distance.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
is vaccines is still powerful to stop new variants in future?
We have not found a variant yet that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were not effective against. There have been variants that the vaccine was less effective against (like the S African one) but the vaccines still have a very high efficacy even against that variant (just not 95%) and the vaccines were nearly 100% effective in preventing death against all variants.

Every time a new variant is discovered there will be attention grabbing, click bait headlines that say new variant discovered that the vaccines may not be effective against. That’s a true statement, but what they are leaving out is that there is no actual evidence that the vaccines are or are not effective against that variant, just that they don’t know because it hasn’t been tested yet. You should not worry about variants at all until you read the headline that after extensive testing it’s been determined that the vaccines actually won’t work vs XYZ variant.

ABQ

IDK if anyone has posted this
"Social distancing will not be required in the fully vaccinated-only section, according to the news release. People in those sections will be seated directly next to others.

Face coverings must be worn in sections 166LG and 168LG, except while actively eating or drinking in the ticketed seat, the team said."​

It's unfortunate that this point alone will make the unvaccinated say "what's the motivation and draw of this fully vaccinated section then?"

Kevin_W

I got the most confusing letter from my daughter's school yesterday. There were 6 cases in her school over 2 days, including 1 student in her science class.

She was identified as a "close contact" and must go into a "modified quarantine". But for the "modified quarantine" it's fine for her to go to school/sports/extra-curriculars as long as she is asymptomatic. So the "modified quarantine" is no different than any other day. (School maintains at least 3' of distance, often more and both she and other student were masked.)

She was fairly concerned about the whole thing so we went and got a rapid Covid test (negative) to help her peace of mind.

ToTBellHop

Its like the speed limits. The highway engineers know people will drive faster so they set them lower than what they really expect the road to carry.
People are doing the 3 feet with masks (or closer) so having it 6 produces that effect. Dropping it to three they might as well say don't bother with distance.
They’ve already said 3 feet was fine for kids (and, by virtue of this, their adult teachers who can’t exactly keep 6 feet away in a room with 20 kids). So this shoe will drop in the next few months. I work at a college. We’ve been told to plan for 3 feet knowing that will be the policy by August. Neighboring RI just announced it will be 3 feet next month.

3 feet, indoors, with masks presents a negligible risk given current spread up here.

pixie225

NY Gov. Cuomo's report from last night:
1. COVID hospitalizations dropped to 3,567. Of the 242,432 tests reported yesterday, 4,996, or 2.06 percent, were positive. The 7-day average positivity rate was 2.57 percent. There were 811 patients in ICU yesterday, down six from the previous day. Of them, 499 are intubated. Sadly, we lost 45 New Yorkers to the virus.

2. As of 11am this morning, 43.0 percent of New Yorkers have completed at least one vaccine dose. Over the past 24 hours, 177,255 total doses have been administered. To date, New York has administered 13,929,970 total doses with 29.7 percent of New Yorkers completing their vaccine series. See data by region and county on the State's Vaccine Tracker: ny.gov/vaccinetracker.

3. Starting tomorrow morning, New Yorkers age 60 and up are eligible for walk-in vaccine appointments. Walk-in vaccine appointments will be accommodated for these individuals at 16 mass vaccination sites across the state. See the list here.

4. Reminder that public and private employees in NY are granted time off to receive the COVID-19 vaccines. Last month, I signed legislation that grants employees up to four hours of excused leave per vaccine appointment that will not be charged against any other leave the employee has earned or accrued.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly. I don't believe the Governor has the authority for this to be done via EO (nor do I believe any of the COVID related EOs are actually legal under FL law). However, the legislature can pass a law to ban vaccine passports. Such a ban would not be unconstitutional at a State or Federal level.

It won't really be tricky if the legislature bans them. A business can want them but won't legally be allowed to require them at that point.
Whether the law is legal or not is mostly irrelevant. It will take months to go to court to try to overturn a law if it’s passed by the legislature. As we’ve seen in the past several years at the federal level it’s much easier for a judge to suspend an EO while the case is being heard. It takes time to overturn a law passed by the legislature. By the time this plays out in court the businesses suing (WDW for this example) would have already lost months and months of business including the prime Summer season. So Disney will most likely go with plan B. They have been pretty consistent with Covid protocols at DLR and WDW and now that other theme park operators have decided to embrace the vaccine passports for out of state visitors and Disney has been silent on implementing that rule it seems they are less likely to go the passport route. I don’t know if that hurts their business or helps. In CA they can’t allow out of state guests in without a passport plan. That’s not the case in FL.

DisneyDebRob

I got the most confusing letter from my daughter's school yesterday. There were 6 cases in her school over 2 days, including 1 student in her science class.

She was identified as a "close contact" and must go into a "modified quarantine". But for the "modified quarantine" it's fine for her to go to school/sports/extra-curriculars as long as she is asymptomatic. So the "modified quarantine" is no different than any other day. (School maintains at least 3' of distance, often more and both she and other student were masked.)

She was fairly concerned about the whole thing so we went and got a rapid Covid test (negative) to help her peace of mind.
Well I hope she’s doing fine along with your family. Sometimes it feels that schools, and other places still have no plan or know what to do when things happen. Either quarantine, correct thing to do, or don’t, wrong way to do things.. and let everyone just play with each other. Sounds like the wording makes it serious but the actual action is nothing.

GaBoy

4. Reminder that public and private employees in NY are granted time off to receive the COVID-19 vaccines. Last month, I signed legislation that grants employees up to four hours of excused leave per vaccine appointment that will not be charged against any other leave the employee has earned or accrued.
My company in Georgia will give employees two days off per shot because of symptoms. The time off is not charged against sick or vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom