Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgmnt

That number should actually be zero, since the virus doesn't actually kill you, it causes one ore more bodily systems to fail which is what ultimately kills you. Now if those systems already had a problem you are more likely to die, but it's still the virus that caused you death. Bottom line, the vast majority of people who died from covid would have lived longer if they had not become infected, and a lot would probably still be alive today.
This is something a physician's assistant should be able to know.

Maybe Physician's Assistant is a new term used for Herbalife salespeople.

Mark52479

They may not, but others will. I don’t think Florida law will extend to cruise ships, and it certainly won’t extend to interstate travel. After that, it’s up to Florida businesses to decide whether a battle is worth it. At this point, it’s too early to tell.
Yeah I also think the Cruise ships will be left out of this. They have completely different laws.

BuddyThomas

No, you can find just about any article to fit your agenda. Directly on the cdc or statistica website you can see your claim is actually false. Even with all of these cases there is a 2% morality rate. Influenza had a mortality rate of 1.7% in 2019. So the facts are out there. You have to dig through to see if there is a bias behind what is published.

Seriously, just stop already.

BlindChow

I’m confused.
So you support vaccine passports? Get vaccinated and go get a normal life. Don’t get vaccinated, and you’re restricted from some places?
Anti-maskers are almost always against vaccine verification yet insist on pushing this "get a vaccine and drop the mask" plan to reduce vaccine hesitancy.

The former, of course, completely negates the effectiveness of the latter, but I suspect that is by design (can it be coincidence that as many as four posters pushing said agenda have also been very vocal opponents of masks and other mitigation efforts?).

While there has been no evidence that "having to continue wearing a mask" is the reason for vaccine hesitancy, they still insist this will be the driving force that eliminates it.

Of course, you can be certain that once people realize there is absolutely no enforcement of mask-wearing whether you have had the vaccine or not, they will simply stop wearing the mask. Why do something you are hesitant to do, if the results are the same either way?

BlindChow

Here's a little story to illustrate why I agree with you completely. I just got off the phone with a good friend of mine. He and his wife were scheduled to get the J&J shot a few days after they paused it (and both would have still gotten it knowing about the blood clots). They are very hesitant to get the mRNA shots due to a combination of misunderstanding how they work (thinking they modify your DNA) and feeling the development was rushed.

They aren't anti-vax people. In fact, they both recommended that their parents get the mRNA vaccine under the logic that they were at very high risk from COVID so the risk of the mRNA vaccine (from his perspective) was worth it for their parents.

He said he thought about maybe getting one of the mRNA vaccines but "why bother because they're just going to keep this stuff going," meaning the masks and restrictions that we had been discussing earlier.
LMAO!

So this "friend"--who literally thinks mRNA vaccines "modify your DNA"--would be open to be getting said vaccine if only they'd announce a "Get a Vaccine, Drop the Mask" campaign for everyone?

Wow, small price to pay for DNA alteration! 😂

Amazing that you have such a pertinent anecdote ready that supports your insistence that the biggest factor in vaccine hesitancy is mask mandates. I mean, it's not like you have a long and storied history of opposing mask mandates. Oh wait...

Jrb1979

The only way I see them doing it now is if enough anti-vaxxers exist to keep us from getting cases down quickly enough for them to increase capacity without requiring proof of vaccination. If it comes down to another brutal year or more for park attendance then it makes too much financial sense for them.
If it was me I would have it in place for the 50th. Get back to max capacity.

I'm still trying to understand why so many don't want, yet want people vaccinated.

MrPromey

Amazing that you have such a pertinent anecdote ready that supports your insistence that the biggest factor in vaccine hesitancy is mask mandates. I mean, it's not like you have a long and storied history of opposing mask mandates. Oh wait...

I've been told I'm at least 30% more attractive with a mask on so in full disclosure, I'm all for this having-an-excuse-to-always-wear-one-in-public thing going on for as long as possible.

Since I updated my profile pic on Tinder, I've never had so many people swipe right.

Honestly, I'm pushing for legislation that would include full helmets - I mean, why take a chance, people?! :oops:

Seriously, after a year of this, I don't get where some people still have the energy to keep complaining about it in day-to-day life. Yes, I think the masks are uncomfortable and no, I don't like wearing them but that's the exact same excuse I get from my son when I try to get him to put on shorts these days... So if I want him to wear shorts, I have to lead by example and wear a mask.

Parenthood's hard like that.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Mutations are random. They're not on some kind of master-planned diabolical march towards "more lethal." A variant is more likely to be completely impotent than it is more dangerous.
Mutations are random, as he explained. Most are neutral or give the virus (or organism, if we're talking about bacteria) a competitive disadvantage, so they disappear as soon as they appear... and in fact, go unnoticed, because the organism can no longer propagate.

But every now and again, a random change, or series of changes, confers a competetive advantage that allows a virus to more efficiently perfom some portion of its replication cycle. This could be tighter binding to the target cells, or more efficient usurpation of the target cells' protein synthesis machinery. Or, the structure on the virus' surface that the immune system has been trained to recognize (the "spike protein" of SARS-Cov-2) changes enough that the antibodies no longer bind closely, or at all. The first two scenarios make the virus more infectious, the last one allows it to allude the immunity induced by prior infection or vaccination. Keep giving the virus more chances to replicate, and you increase the chances that some random mutation will allow it to escape induced immunity. This is why we MUST keep hammering this thing until we truly reach herd immunity, or else we keep prolonging the pandemic.

HIV represents a good example of why control and mitigation are so important. Early in era of effective retroviral therapy, when only a lucky minority could afford the cost of the medication (and Africa didn't have a prayer), new strains that were resistant to existing medication would routinely arise. This would even occur within individuals who were not being reinfected, where they would need to frequently change medications as the virus would mutate its way out of medication sensitivity. But because the world made fighting the disease a priority (this might be Bush II's most unsung legacy), we were able to drive viral loads to extremely low levels globally. Now, amongst my patients with HIV, I rarely see anyone who needs to change antivirals. Their viral levels remain undetectable and they stay on the same meds for years. This was not the case as little as 15 years ago, when treating HIV was like an escalting nuclear arms race.

BuddyThomas

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
This is completely unsettling, particularly considering all the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers that we are hearing from on here.

I'm scared of this variants will end vaccines soon too....

disneygeek90

I’m no vaccine expert, but if a different strain did pose resistance to the current options, wouldn’t they be able to use the same technology to just create a new vaccine? I know it won’t be immediate, but shouldn’t it be much quicker if they do need to pivot?

“of a more contagious strain that causes more severe illness and appears to be resistant to antibodies.” Does this mean the vaccine, or covid related antibodies. They mean two very different things.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I’m no vaccine expert, but if a different strain did pose resistance to the current options, wouldn’t they be able to use the same technology to just create a new vaccine? I know it won’t be immediate, but shouldn’t it be much quicker if they do need to pivot?

Yes, this is one of the great things about the MRNA vaccine, they can be quickly adapted to new variants. When they first started work on the coronavirus, once they had the genetic code of the virus, it only took a few days to develop the vaccine. The rest of the time was just testing.

Heppenheimer

“of a more contagious strain that causes more severe illness and appears to be resistant to antibodies.” Does this mean the vaccine, or covid related antibodies. They mean two very different things.
We almost certainly would use the same tools, but with the lag time to develop, test, approve and manufacture the vaccine, we'd always need to play catch-up.

The mRNA vaccines represent the best option, because they can be retooled as soon as you know the complete structure of the new protein target.

TTA94

This is completely unsettling, particularly considering all the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers that we are hearing from on here.

Great. Hope this doesn’t blow up and cause things to start going backwards.

Chi84

Premium Member

The article does say it’s related to the UK variant that vaccines work against, so that’s some good news.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I've been told I'm at least 30% more attractive with a mask on so in full disclosure, I'm all for this having-an-excuse-to-always-wear-one-in-public thing going on for as long as possible.

I'm pro-mask for life, I guess you could say.

Since I updated my profile pic on Tinder, I've never had so many people swipe right.

Honestly, I'm pushing for legislation that would include full helmets - I mean, why take a chance, people?! :oops:

Seriously, after a year of this, I don't get where some people still have the energy to keep complaining about it in day-to-day life. Yes, I think the masks are uncomfortable and no, I don't like wearing them but that's the exact same excuse I get from my son when I try to get him to put on shorts these days... So if I want him to wear shorts, I have to lead by example and wear a mask.

Parenthood's hard like that.
Oh, sweetie! (I say that with love). I can relate. As an eternally shy person, I don’t mind hiding behind a mask. Of course, my partner is like... stop. We knew it was bad when I started checking in the mirror before going out to see if a particular mask made me look fat. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom