Party Season 2021

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The party nights operated for 6 hours at 25% capacity (~22.5K people). And that was profitable.

The parks right now are operating for 12 hours at 35% capacity (~31.5K people), which is 2/3 of the 'normal' daily average. Which we could presume is marginally profitable.

So, cutting back the hours for the day on a party night, and then selling the night for a party is most definitely profitable, even with the tight restrictions now, let alone most likely having less restrictions in September.

Crazydisneyfanluke

- 1 or 2 exclusive (socially distanced) entertainment acts [Cadaver Dans on TSI rafts?]
- Ride overlays and the party decorations/music loops
- allowing people to wear costumes
- free candy or food and beverage card included in price (like Taste of DCA)
- socially distanced characters in costumes

Charge $75 + tax. The faithful will pay.
The 50th will limit holiday decorations.

No lights on castle, but possibly projections for the parties.
Not sure if bunting is planned for the 50th or any other decorations. Of course more details will be announced over time.

They charged more for the after hours events. Think $109 + tax minimum.

havoc315

The party nights operated for 6 hours at 25% capacity (~22.5K people). And that was profitable.

The parks right now are operating for 12 hours at 35% capacity (~31.5K people), which is 2/3 of the 'normal' daily average. Which we could presume is marginally profitable.

So, cutting back the hours for the day on a party night, and then selling the night for a party is most definitely profitable, even with the tight restrictions now, let alone most likely having less restrictions in September.

That sounds entirely accurate.
Which almost begs the question -- So why haven't they launched a few night parties already?

There are some easy profits that they have been leaving on the table right now. There is overwhelming demand for the restaurants, so why are any of the restaurants still closed??

pdude81

Which almost begs the question -- So why haven't they launched a few night parties already?

There are some easy profits that they have been leaving on the table right now. There is overwhelming demand for the restaurants, so why are any of the restaurants still closed??

Chapek would jump at it. The big problem (and argument) so far is image (believe it or not)

havoc315

Yes... but that doesn't explain why they aren't opening more restaurants. Doesn't explain why they are slow-walking opening additional resorts given the apparent high demand.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Probably staffing. They'd need almost a full cast from 9a to midnight.

Plus the party nights have significant exclusive draws such as parades, shows, and fireworks which aren't possible at this time.

havoc315

For the time being, it's still cheaper to leave them closed than to open them up. (at least for the ones Disney controls)

Given the level of demand right now, I don't believe that's true anymore.

With an important caveat footnote: With college program closed, with "enhanced unemployment" making it harder to find low wage staffers, they may concerned about staffing limitations.

pdude81

@pdude81

I believe Martin's remark about not doing after hours events was centered just on bringing back fireworks for that upcharge event.

Party nights (Halloween and Christmas) are a different animal.
That's fair. The way I see it, if you were to announce that nighttime entertainment was coming back, but only in parties, and only if you paid more and they closed early, that is an image problem. It's not really that different from just a paid fireworks show ticket.

I think if they can announce that F! will be back but socially distanced and that some sort of fireworks will be happening at Epcot also, that provides cover for anything they want to do with upcharges at MK. And I think in 2 weeks the "curve" will be bent enough for some of these things to start being announced. All speculation.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Given the level of demand right now, I don't believe that's true anymore.

With an important caveat footnote: With college program closed, with "enhanced unemployment" making it harder to find low wage staffers, they may concerned about staffing limitations.

The restaurants that are still closed are either high end or at partially closed resorts. There is a lot of overhead operating a Disney restaurant. (Even more so for locations inside hotels and inside the parks, and even more so if it is a third party operator) Self imposed capacity constraints extenuate this and make it even harder for to achieve profitability. Add to this the lack of cheap labor (CP,etc) which make it even more expensive to run.

havoc315

The restaurants that are still closed are either high end or at partially closed resorts. There is a lot of overhead operating a Disney restaurant. (Even more so for locations inside hotels and inside the parks, and even more so if it is a third party operator) Self imposed capacity constraints extenuate this and make it even harder for to achieve profitability. Add to this the lack of cheap labor (CP,etc) which make it even more expensive to run.

Agree with you on the potential cheap labor issue.

As to "partially closed resorts" -- Even with Boardwalk resort closed, the Boardwalk restaurants would easily fill up with overflow from Beach Club / Yacht Club and DVC. Even take some Epcot overflow.

SoFloMagic

Yes... but that doesn't explain why they aren't opening more restaurants. Doesn't explain why they are slow-walking opening additional resorts given the apparent high demand
People will wait for food. Better to run 5 restaurants at 120% of capacity than pay to open a sixth?

homerdance

Which why I just don’t get why they haven’t planned any of these yet. They get to charge full price and don’t have to have as much open, like the after hours.

SoFloMagic

Which why I just don’t get why they haven’t planned any of these yet. They get to charge full price and don’t have to have as much open, like the after hours.
Doesn't it take a lot of labor to sweep the park of day guests? I feel like it involves quite a bit of CP labor. Plus, usually you let the after hours group in early... But how do you do that with capacity limits?

Isn't there a union contract that they can't recall CMs and then send them back on furlough? If I'm remembering that correctly they can't just recall people to try something out

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom