News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Purduevian

New low capacity e-tickets don’t alleviate crowding. New highly acclaimed high capacity experiences (like say a new theatre with a Broadway style show) would alleviate crowding by taking more guests off the midways then the extra guests coming to the park only because of that experience.
Tron would actually pull more people away from other attractions/walkways more consistently than a large theater.
The Hyperion at DCA holds ~2,000 people. The show usually ran 3 shows a day. As MK is busier than DCA lets give it 5 shows a day for a total daily capacity of 10,000 people. Also remember that they will cut off the line at 2,000 people waiting in line.
So a theater has
  • Daily capacity of 10,000 people
  • Holds 2,000 people max
Compare that to Tron which has an hourly capacity of ~1,600 people per hour. Can run 7 trains at 14 people per train for 98 people on the ride. However, Tron will hold a TON of people in it's line... ~1,600 for an hour wait.
If Tron has a 1 hour and 15 minute line AND MK operates for 12 hours:
  • Daily capacity of 19,200 people
  • Holds 2,000 people (more if line is longer than 75 minutes)

Touchdown

Tron would actually pull more people away from other attractions/walkways more consistently than a large theater.
The Hyperion at DCA holds ~2,000 people. The show usually ran 3 shows a day. As MK is busier than DCA lets give it 5 shows a day for a total daily capacity of 10,000 people. Also remember that they will cut off the line at 2,000 people waiting in line.
So a theater has
  • Holds 2,000 people max
Compare that to Tron which has an hourly capacity of ~1,600 people per hour. Can run 7 trains at 14 people per train for 98 people on the ride. However, Tron will hold a TON of people in it's line... ~1,600 for an hour wait.
Except your not acounting for the fact Tron will attract more people to MK to ride the new ride which will wipe out that small advantage and then some.

SplashJacket

So a theater has
  • Holds 2,000 people max
The main issue with the line calculation is Fastpass artificially inflates weight times, so you can have 400 people in line for a 1600 people per hour capacity and still have an hour wait because of Fastpass if they're running a 75-25 split.

Purduevian

The main issue with the line calculation is Fastpass artificially inflates weight times, so you can have 400 people in line for a 1600 people per hour capacity and still have an hour wait because of Fastpass if they're running a 75-25 split.
Ok, I'll look at this with fastpass first, then I will use a different method. Daily capacity does not change for Tron (19,200), but the amount of people soaked up does.
1) Tron with FP
  • People on ride (98 people)
  • People in a 120 minute standby line (with 25% capacity allocation) 800 people
  • People in a 15 minute Fastpass line (with 75% capacity allocation) 300 people
Total people soaked up is now down to ~1200 people. However there is still a advantage to Tron... it will soak up the 1200ish people for about 12 hours a day.

Now bear with me, this math will be a little weird, I'm going to look into how much Guest time is spent per day per attraction (AKA not doing other things).
Also, I looked it up and Frozen NEVER has run more than 3 shows a day, so I'm going to switch to 3 shows a day (Daily capacity down to 6,000 people).
  • 90minutes per standby guest per show
    • 90*1000*3= 270,000 guest minutes
  • 65 minutes per fastpass guest per show
    • 65*1000*3=195000
  • Total = 465,000 guest minutes spent at the theater per day
Tron:
  • 90 minutes per standby guest *number of standby guests per hour *Hours of operation
    • 90*400*12= 432,000 guest minutes
  • 15 minutes per fastpass guest*number of fp guests per hour*hours of operation
    • 15*1200*12 =216,000 guests minutes
  • Total= 648,000 guest minutes spent at the ride per day
A lot of this math gives advantage to the theater:
  • About an hour long show, Frozen at DCA is 55 mins, Aladdin was 45
  • Theater standby guests arrive an average of 30 minutes preshow
  • Only a 90 minute line for Tron on most days (this will be more popular than 7D I think)
  • 75% FP allocation
Final point, the soaking of crowds scales with business for tron, it does not for a theater. On a busier day the Tron line will get longer and more people will be soaked up. Considering Frozen only ran 3 shows on NYE in 2019 and 2020 I don't think DCA was able to hold a fourth show a day even at the busiest of days.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Ok, I'll look at this with fastpass first, then I will use a different method. Daily capacity does not change for Tron (19,200), but the amount of people soaked up does.
1) Tron with FP
  • People on ride (98 people)
  • People in a 120 minute standby line (with 25% capacity allocation) 800 people
  • People in a 15 minute Fastpass line (with 75% capacity allocation) 300 people
Total people soaked up is now down to ~1200 people. However there is still a advantage to Tron... it will soak up the 1200ish people for about 12 hours a day.

Now bear with me, this math will be a little weird, I'm going to look into how much Guest time is spent per day per attraction (AKA not doing other things).
Also, I looked it up and Frozen NEVER has run more than 3 shows a day, so I'm going to switch to 3 shows a day (Daily capacity down to 6,000 people).
  • 90minutes per standby guest per show
    • 90*1000*3= 270,000 guest minutes
  • 65 minutes per fastpass guest per show
    • 65*1000*3=195000
  • Total = 465,000 guest minutes spent at the theater per day
Tron:
  • 90 minutes per standby guest *number of standby guests per hour *Hours of operation
    • 90*400*12= 432,000 guest minutes
  • 15 minutes per fastpass guest*number of fp guests per hour*hours of operation
    • 15*1200*12 =216,000 guests minutes
  • Total= 648,000 guest minutes spent at the ride per day
A lot of this math gives advantage to the theater:
  • About an hour long show, Frozen at DCA is 55 mins, Aladdin was 45
  • Theater standby guests arrive an average of 30 minutes preshow
  • Only a 90 minute line for Tron on most days (this will be more popular than 7D I think)
  • 75% FP allocation
Final point, the soaking of crowds scales with business for tron, it does not for a theater. On a busier day the Tron line will get longer and more people will be soaked up. Considering Frozen only ran 3 shows on NYE in 2019 and 2020 I don't think DCA was able to hold a fourth show a day even at the busiest of days.
Sorry, I only do math when I'm brewing beer, and I don't brew beer without first drinking a beer so I can't do the math.

UNCgolf

Even the above analysis is ultimately flawed because it's impossible to know how many guests are actually interested in Tron and how many would actually be interested in the hypothetical theater show.

We know that some percentage of daily MK guests aren't going to be interested in riding Tron even if it was a walk-on, and some (kids under the height restriction for one, but there are other reasons as well) who simply cannot ride it even if they wanted to. A theater show doesn't have those restrictions, but there are also plenty of guests who wouldn't be interested in one regardless of what it is.

Bocabear

I am one that doesn't care for the shows...I feel like most of them are lame character parades on stage...So I usually pass on most entertainment...and I think ROTR, Slinky Dog, and 7 Dwarfs has shown us that people want action and thrills...and will go through the impossible boarding groups scenario to try and get on board... The amount of guests that will have no interest in TRON is likely to be extremely low...

UNCgolf

I am one that doesn't care for the shows...I feel like most of them are lame character parades on stage...So I usually pass on most entertainment...and I think ROTR, Slinky Dog, and 7 Dwarfs has shown us that people want action and thrills...and will go through the impossible boarding groups scenario to try and get on board... The amount of guests that will have no interest in TRON is likely to be extremely low...

It'll be higher than you think. I'd be willing to bet that as much as 15-20% of guests on any given day won't even attempt to ride Tron either because they're not interested or because they simply can't.

ROTR isn't comparable to a roller coaster at all, and SDD and 7 Dwarfs are family coasters. Tron isn't.

That's not a bad thing for Disney, though. I think it would be impossible for even 50% of guests to ride it in a single day, so having some percentage completely uninterested is helpful.

lazyboy97o

The amount of guests that will have no interest in TRON is likely to be extremely low...
It'll be higher than you think. I'd be willing to bet that as much as 15-20% of guests on any given day won't even attempt to ride Tron either because they're not interested or because they simply can't.

ROTR isn't comparable to a roller coaster at all, and SDD and 7 Dwarfs are family coasters. Tron isn't.

That's not a bad thing for Disney, though. I think it would be impossible for even 50% of guests to ride it in a single day, so having some percentage completely uninterested is helpful.
Somewhere buried in one of his threads, Eddie Sotto mentioned that only something like ¼ of guests ride Space Mountain at either Disneyland or Magic Kingdom. Capacity does not directly correlate to interest but it was an interesting point about how even the most popular attractions do not serve every guest on a given day.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

So a theater has
  • Holds 2,000 people max
Not positive, but you may be overstating Tron's capacity.

UNCgolf

Not positive, but you may be overstating Tron's capacity.

I think so too. Everything I can find lists the hourly capacity at 1,680 riders per hour, but I assume that's the theoretical hourly capacity and I don't think any ride ever reaches that number (or even gets that close to it).

It seems a little surprising at first glance it's not higher since the ride is less than a minute long, but I suppose it makes sense when considering there are only two riders per row.

Purduevian

I think so too. Everything I can find lists the hourly capacity at 1,680 riders per hour, but I assume that's the theoretical hourly capacity and I don't think any ride ever reaches that number (or even gets that close to it).

It seems a little surprising at first glance it's not higher since the ride is less than a minute long, but I suppose it makes sense when considering there are only two riders per row.
Yeah I used a quick google source to find the 1,680, then rounded to 1,600 for easier numbers. Tron Trains hold 14 people per train, so that estimate puts a launch every ~30 seconds (14*120=1,680)

Found a video that shows 1 station dispatching at 8:17 and a second train leaving at 9:23. So a dispatch of 66 seconds per side. 2x sides 33 seconds per train. Hourly capacity of 1,527. So is 1,600 a little high? Maybe 1,600 is a little high, but it also might be a little low, but what we do know is that it isn't widely off.

Bocabear

I think it takes longer than a 66 seconds to load the trains... more like 4-5 minutes per train with the complex harnessing system... It is fast, but not that fast and takes a bit of time to get everyone in ... So with Dual stations loading it would be about 2.5 minutes per launch theoretically...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom