News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Touchdown

New attractions don't alleviate crowding, they make it worse.
New low capacity e-tickets don’t alleviate crowding. New highly acclaimed high capacity experiences (like say a new theatre with a Broadway style show) would alleviate crowding by taking more guests off the midways then the extra guests coming to the park only because of that experience.

Marc Davis Fan

New low capacity e-tickets don’t alleviate crowding. New highly acclaimed high capacity experiences (like say a new theatre with a Broadway style show) would alleviate crowding by taking more guests off the midways then the extra guests coming to the park only because of that experience.

Exactly, although new super-high-capacity e-tickets can be a net positive for crowd-flow, e.g., attractions with the capacity of Shanhai's PotC (which practically never has a long queue even though it's extremely popular and easily the park's best attraction). Even better are such attractions being added as part of land expansions, so that the park actually has more walking space than it did before.

Plus, additions like that at MK would help the general public continue to associate quality experiences with "Disney" (since MK is equated with "Disney" for so many people), which is absolutely necessary for Disney's long-term success because it's now facing stronger competition than ever.

Add two land expansions on either end of the park (e.g., Adventureland + Fantasyland or Tomorrowland) with super-high-capacity top-level e-tickets, and MK would be in great shape - with regard to capacity and guest experience - for quite some time.

yensidtlaw1969

It’s an arcade? Who knew?
Well . . . at least on the Blueprints. It's plenty far from it now.

I think the building is fine, it's how it's being used that's the problem.
I can see the argument that it takes up too much space on the main drag to TRON. I don't know that they *will* get rid of it, but I think losing the shop in favor of widening the path to TRON (and therefore hiding the building that much less from Tomorrowland) wouldn't be too much of a loss.

yensidtlaw1969

I think the building is fine, it's how it's being used that's the problem.
having a flynns arcade next to the building would be super rad, esp if it was 80s themed full of arcade machines from that era
At that point it might have to be done under the umbrella of the Tomorrowland Historical Society . . . an 80's Arcade isn't exactly the definition of "Tomorrow".

That said, bits like this really show how under-baked the Concept of the TRON Coaster really was. It's very nearly just a Coaster with TRON-styled decor around it. The entire conceit from the film of what the Game Grid is and how you end up there in the first place is basically ignored. How is it we just walk up to the Game Grid out in open space? And what the heck is that weird outdoor loop relative to the game?

Meanwhile, they COULD have designed a ride that was hidden behind a Flynn's Arcade facade, with Arcade Games lining the queue (maybe they're playable?), and a stellar preshow room where guests get "uploaded" into the game and see the store-room of the Arcade around them transform into a holding cell in The Grid. And THEN you go and get on the coaster.

Wrap the whole thing up with a dazzling effect where the lightcycles "break through" back into the real world and let them unload there, making sense of how you got out of the Game. Let guests wander out through a gift shop adjoining Flynn's Arcade, featuring vintage-style t-shirts and souvenirs.

Doesn't suit Tomorrowland much more (though, does it really suit it that much worse?) - that kind of take would work better at Hollywood Studios, I think. But it would have given you an actual, complete, perhaps decently comprehensive and comprehensible TRON experience. Instead of a 59 second coaster with minimal set up and perhaps even less payoff.

EricsBiscuit

1. They don't want to pay for the cost of construction for the quarters they're barely breaking even.

2. MK is already overcrowded and will be more so for the 50th.

3. The opening of TRON can be used to beef up attendance in the post-holiday lull.
You don’t think they thought of 2 and 3 when they green lit Tron? MK has had 20 million + guests for many years now. The park has always been crowded. Adding new attractions will ensure it stays that way. The cost in the short term would not kill them. Every new e ticket brings in tons of new guest or else they wouldn’t build them in the first place.

lazyboy97o

You don’t think they thought of 2 and 3 when they green lit Tron? MK has had 20 million + guests for many years now. The park has always been crowded. Adding new attractions will ensure it stays that way. The cost in the short term would not kill them. Every new e ticket brings in tons of new guest or else they wouldn’t build them in the first place.
The park already has insufficient capacity. Inducing demand more demand just creates more crowding that negatively impacts satisfaction.

doctornick

IMHO there's nothing wrong with opening Tron in MK in terms of crowds - it won't dramatically impact crowds either way, even if it induces demand that will be small compared to overall MK attendance. The bigger issue is not adding capacity elsewhere - the planned Main St Theater (hope they dust that off sometime and build it), putting something new in Stitch, building something new in Frontierland or Adventureland (I still think it was the perfect time to build a high capacity ride of Western River Expedition for the 50th for both park superfans but also to balance out the offerings in that are with somethingmore family friendly).

Tron just doesn't address any of the parks issues in making it better for guests.

JoeCamel

I just watched your most recent Space Mountain tribute this weekend. It’s a shame the view is gone, but it would be forgivable to me if that building was being used for anything of value to the guest at all. Instead? Another gift shop.
$$$ per sq ft is all that matters now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom