Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

RescueTheDay

flutas

I feel like purposefully using the wrong term to set up a "gotcha" moment is an example of discussing in bad faith.
Yet not reading the whole post and therefore not understanding my argument. Then going on a rant about 3 words out of the entire post (because he didn't read the entire post, instead jumped on something he thought he could turn into 'lol newsom bad') isn't?

Interesting take there.

BTW: It's not a gotcha if you read the post. One changed usage, yet an accurate description to what he is talking about, data talking about what he is talking about and 2 accurate usages of the term he was talking about in the post do not a gotcha make. ;)

TP2000

The whole thing was because you mentioned the adjusted case rates and how they are "mysterious" and "favor LA county over OC because politics"

When in fact none of that is true, and I laid the data out for why that's not true, which you ignored to jump on 3 words out of the entire post.

Either case shows you arguing this in bad faith.

Okay. You got me. I was perusing the forums late at night over a nightcap and some jazz and I took your words at face value, when I should have double checked your work and reconfirmed your provided link to confirm what you were saying wasn't a word game.

I feel like purposefully using the wrong term to set up a "gotcha" moment is an example of discussing in bad faith.

Ha! You think?!? 🤣 Thank you, I needed that.

Yet not reading the whole post and therefore not understanding my argument. Then going on a rant about 3 words out of the entire post (because he didn't read the entire post, instead jumped on something he thought he could turn into 'lol newsom bad') isn't?

I can't say you won't be able to trick me again because I'm going to continue posting late at night over nightcaps and jazz and I'm just not going to work that hard at this.

But just remember that I don't have my first drink until at least 6PM or 7PM Pacific time, so during these afternoon chat sessions it will be harder to trick me when I'm sober and haven't turned on the late evening jazz yet. But good luck with future word fun! :)

For the record, I still think the hard data on Case Rates that is then "Adjusted" to often wildly different metrics used for the Tier assignments to keep entire industries like theme parks indefinitely closed is shady and weird.

Just use the hard data on Case Rates as they are, don't "adjust" anything for anybody. Science & Data!

TP2000

Sounds like changes are coming to the tier system

Thanks for that link! It's obvious that something is afoot up in Sacramento on the Tier System and Blueprint For A Safer Economy. The political winds are howling around the Capitol dome now. :eek:

Whatever replaces the old Blueprint will obviously have to be far less restrictive, and give entire industries like theme parks a more reasonable path to fully reopening their businesses and not just living eternity at 25% capacity. Because any business that tries to do that will be gone within a year.

Whatever the new system is, there simply has to be a Green Tier, or in other words a clear path and process to full reopening and a return to business as usual circa 2019.

flutas

For the record, I still think the hard data on Case Rates that is then "Adjusted" to often wildly different metrics used for the Tier assignments to keep entire industries like theme parks indefinitely closed is shady and weird.

Just use the hard data on Case Rates as they are, don't "adjust" anything for anybody. Science & Data!

The reason for adjustments was posted by me last night, there's nothing "shady and weird" about it.

Think of it like this.

If the county govt knows COVID is rampant, but restricts access to tests only to people they know are negative then by your words they should be able to open everything up...even though COVID is rampant among the people in the county.

The adjustment factor provides incentive for them to test everyone and their family.

As an example, and I'm sure you'll love it, if Orange country doubled their current testing their case rate would be very close to being adjusted down by half. In other words, doubling the testing would lead to them being in the orange tier overnight.

TP2000

The reason for adjustments was posted by me last night, there's nothing "shady and weird" about it.

Think of it like this.

If the county govt knows COVID is rampant, but restricts access to tests only to people they know are negative then by your words they should be able to open everything up...even though COVID is rampant among the people in the county.

The adjustment factor provides incentive for them to test everyone and their family.

As an example, and I'm sure you'll love it, if Orange country doubled their current testing their case rate would be very close to being adjusted down by half. In other words, doubling the testing would lead to them being in the orange tier overnight.

And yet you need a lot of sick people who actually have Covid to want tests. Tests are free and easy to get for everyone, especially in Orange County. OC will mail you out a spit test (gross) via overnight mail for free, and you get your results back a day later. I know because I did that back in December just for fun.

And when you pull the vial out of the box at first the vial looks HUUUGE and like you have to spit a quart, but it's actually a very small amount, like a half teaspoon. :oops:

If people aren't getting tested en masse consistently week after week then the whole metric falls apart. What are counties supposed to do, get the police to pull people over and do mandatory Covid tests at major intersections like a sobriety checkpoint?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Thanks for that link! It's obvious that something is afoot up in Sacramento on the Tier System and Blueprint For A Safer Economy. The political winds are howling around the Capitol dome now. :eek:

Whatever replaces the old Blueprint will obviously have to be far less restrictive, and give entire industries like theme parks a more reasonable path to fully reopening their businesses and not just living eternity at 25% capacity. Because any business that tries to do that will be gone within a year.

Whatever the new system is, there simply has to be a Green Tier, or in other words a clear path and process to full reopening and a return to business as usual circa 2019.
I know you like to always put a political slant on things, thinking that everything is 100% political. But alas its not. The whole reason why the Tier System would change is because we're out of the worst part of the pandemic, ie the fall/winter cold/flu season. As stated before, with information provided direct from the state site, the Tier System was only meant to be used during the fall/winter season.

So no its not political, its science/data. The case numbers are down, and expected to stay down now that the vaccination program is underway. California has given out the 1st shot, which still provides a good level of protection, to 21.7% of Californians over 18. As that number grows over the next couple weeks it'll mean less overall infection rates. Which is why the Tier System would change to be less restrictive, but not 100% fully opened.

As for your "Green Tier" that is reached when California hits herd immunity by vaccinating at least 75% of the states population.

TP2000

I know you like to always put a political slant on things, thinking that everything is 100% political. But alas its not.

Not everything is political. But things that come from top elected leaders in Sacramento are inherently political. Always.

As for your "Green Tier" that is reached when California hits herd immunity by vaccinating at least 75% of the population.

So put that in writing. Codify it. Place it front and center in whatever replaces the Blueprint. Because there has been no documentation or communication that says that, and private businesses need to be able to know that and plan for it.

As of now, all we have to go on is what Governor Newsom himself said when a reporter asked him point blank last year why his new Blueprint system had no Green Tier listed beyond the Yellow Tier.

"We don't believe that there is a green light, which says go back to the way things were or back to the pre-pandemic mindset." - Governor Gavin Newsom, August 28th, 2020 speaking to a reporter from the Sacramento Bee

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not everything is political. But things that come from top elected leaders in Sacramento are inherently political. Always.
No, not everything is political even when it comes from leaders in Sacramento.

So put that in writing. Codify it. Place it front and center in whatever replaces the Blueprint. Because there has been no documentation or communication that says that, and private businesses need to be able to know that and plan for it.

As of now, all we have to go on is what Governor Newsom himself said when a reporter asked him point blank last year why his new Blueprint system had no Green Tier listed beyond the Yellow Tier.

"We don't believe that there is a green light, which says go back to the way things were or back to the pre-pandemic mindset." - Governor Gavin Newsom, August 28th, 2020
And once again that is taken out of context. That was not an answer to be used for all time. Its an answer was in reference to tier system at that moment during a pandemic, that we can't think that just because case numbers were low at that moment 8 months ago that we can go back to business as usually during the pandemic.

And yes I fully expect there to be some "exit strategy" that will be revealed for when things to fully reopened. And as has been said many times we go back to normal when California has herd immunity through 75% of the state being vaccinated.

TP2000

No, not everything is political even when it comes from leaders in Sacramento.

You don't know any politicians, do you. I have. They are political every waking minute, regardless of the D or R next to their title.

And once again that is taken out of context. That was not an answer to be used for all time. Its an answer was in reference to tier system at that moment during a pandemic, that we can't think that just because case numbers were low at that moment 8 months ago that we can go back to business as usually during the pandemic.

The Blueprint For A Safer Economy has not been changed or amended since it was rolled out last August. It is still the rule of law, even if more and more small businesses are willfully ignoring it now. If Governor Newsom has some secret plan to replace it with something, he needs to roll that out ASAP because businesses are dying in California. Many businesses are already dead and gone.

And yes I fully expect there to be some "exit strategy" that will be revealed for when things to fully reopened. And as has been said many times we go back to normal when California has herd immunity through 75% of the state being vaccinated.

Great. Get that in writing and make it clearly understood for business owners. They need to know how to plan for their future and determine whether or not they will be able to continue in business or if they need to shut down permanently and/or move to another state.

The current Blueprint that ends at the Yellow Tier is not sustainable in 2021. It must be replaced with something that has a clear exit strategy to a Green Tier or return to 2019 normality. The Yellow Tier is not normal.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You don't know any politicians, do you. I have. They are political every waking minute, regardless of the D or R next to their title.
Yes actually I do, I can't say who but I have political figures in my family including at both the state and federal level.

I personally have worked with mayors and other local county officials on various different project in my life.

We've actually been through this conversation before. Remember when I was deciphering for you what Newsom was saying.

The Blueprint For A Safer Economy has not been changed or amended since it was rolled out last August. It is still the rule of law, even if more and more small businesses are willfully ignoring it now. If Governor Newsom has some secret plan to replace it with something, he needs to roll that out ASAP because businesses are dying in California. Many businesses are already dead and gone.
And expect something to come out in the next couple weeks, we've seen rumors of it now even from local county officials.

Great. Get that in writing and make it clearly understood for business owners. They need to know how to plan for their future and determine whether or not they will be able to continue in business or if they need to shut down permanently and/or move to another state.

The current Blueprint that ends at the Yellow Tier is not sustainable in 2021. It must be replaced with something that has a clear exit strategy to a Green Tier or return to 2019 normality. The Yellow Tier is not normal.
And again the current tier system was only suppose to get us through the fall/winter season. Again we're expecting a new "Blueprint" or whatever you want to call it soon.

TP2000

Yes actually I do, I can't say who but I have political figures in my family including at both the state and federal level.

I personally have worked with mayors and other local county officials on various different project in my life.

We've actually been through this conversation before. Remember when I was deciphering for you what Newsom was saying.

Huh.

Speaking of that, have you noticed how Governor Newsom has changed the way he talks in the last 30 days? KFI here in SoCal had a whole series on this issue, and the journalist who went through the tapes surmised that during the recall campaign Newsom's staff learned that many people find his HR pyschobabble word soup to be very off-putting.

So Newsom has been trying to speak like a normal human more now, and trying to lay off the HR buzzwords that just make him sound weird and annoying. I would love to be a fly on the wall during those training sessions as he tries to relearn English, wouldn't you?!? 🤣

And expect something to come out in the next couple weeks, we've seen rumors of it now even from local county officials.

Good. The current system is broken and dumb. In OC it's only being obeyed by big corporate chains now, like Disney and Starbucks and Darden.

And again the current tier system was only suppose to get us through the fall/winter season. Again we're expecting a new "Blueprint" or whatever you want to call it soon.

It should have been replaced in February, but I don't think Sacramento realized how broken it all was. I think they actually think people are obeying Sacramento mandates and orders. How cute of them, but when it's destroying lives and livelihoods like this, it's time to admit defeat and replace the Blueprint with something new.

I really am hoping the new system has an inspirational smarmy title like California's Golden Dawn - The Road To Recovery!

And then have some nice clip art that brands it California's Golden Dawn - The Road To Recovery!, something with a country road going through a sun-dappled, misty Napa vineyard on a spring morning like this...

DSCF2057_1380_C1.jpg

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Huh.

Speaking of that, have you noticed how Governor Newsom has changed the way he talks in the last 30 days? KFI here in SoCal had a whole series on this issue, and the journalist who went through the tapes surmised that during the recall campaign Newsom's staff learned that many people find his HR pyschobabble word soup to be very off-putting.

So Newsom has been trying to speak like a normal human more now, and trying to lay off the HR buzzwords that just make him sound weird and annoying. I would love to be a fly on the wall during those training sessions as he tries to relearn English, wouldn't you?!? 🤣
Well its a good theory, but I wouldn't put it on the recall effort. Certain politicians like Newsom have a different mannerism and speech during times of a crisis. Now that the pandemic has a light at the end of the tunnel he can back off the crisis mannerism and speech.

Just go back and look how he spoke while Mayor of SF. He spoke with certain mannerism and speech at specific times, and then backed off of it during other times.

Good. The current system is broken and dumb. In OC it's only being obeyed by big corporate chains now, like Disney and Starbucks and Darden.
I respect your opinion, but disagree.

It should have been replaced in February, but I don't think Sacramento realized how broken it all was. I think they actually think people are obeying Sacramento mandates and orders. How cute of them, but when it's destroying lives and livelihoods like this, it's time to admit defeat and replace the Blueprint with something new.
Again I respect your opinion, but disagree.

I don't think it was broken at all. Had a lot more people followed the recommendations back in Oct/Nov/Dec we'd have been better off and things would have been reopened and the current tier system would have been replaced. But that didn't happen so things got delayed.

I had fully expected the tier system to be replaced back in Jan, but we started having spikes again. So they wanted to make sure those didn't affect the downward trend of the overall case numbers. We're now out of all that which is why I expect things to loosen up here in the next couple weeks. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement in the next couple days.

I really am hoping the new system has an inspirational smarmy title like California's Golden Dawn - The Road To Recovery!
Unlike you I don't really care about the title, but you do you.

TP2000

Well its a good theory, but I wouldn't put it on the recall effort. Certain politicians like Newsom have a different mannerism and speech during times of a crisis. Now that the pandemic has a light at the end of the tunnel he can back off the crisis mannerism and speech.

Just go back and look how he spoke while Mayor of SF. He spoke with certain mannerism and speech at specific times, and then backed off of it during other times.

It was a thing on the John & Ken show on KFI last week. (One of the most listened to shows in the nation with 1.2 Million daily average listeners on the mighty KFI megawatt station that reaches Hawaii)

It's something that changed very recently this winter, about a month ago. Newsom's Communications team got word that his HR psychobabble wasn't helping his case and he needed to seem more normal to people. I think it's too little, too late, but at least it will keep his Communications team busy.

I respect your opinion, but disagree.

Again I respect your opinion, but disagree.

You know, there is not much lately you and I agree on. But I just have to say that I enjoy chatting with you and I really appreciate your respectful tone even in our disagreements. Some folks here, many now departed or in hiding, have been downright mean or nasty the past few months. But you make our disagreements fun!

And when things do return to normal and we're left here debating the merits of the new Spiderman ride or the queue placement for Runaway Railway, I can't wait to learn about things we do agree on! :D

Unlike you I don't really care about the title, but you do you.

I live for crap like that! It's hilariously entertaining for me, especially when it's stuff from bureaucrats who are, well... bureaucrats.

If they don't go out with a bang on the new system to wind down the Covid era and call it something crazy, I will be really sad.

ToTBellHop

Gavy-kins announced that people should be able to enjoy MLB games in CA very soon (like, April, ”soon”). I’m sure it is partially that he’d like to go to a game, but when this happens, surely theme parks will also be allowed to reopen.

TP2000

Disneyland will not reopen this Summer, but after the recall of French Laundry's Favorite Customer, Governor Shut It Downer, it's obviously possible.

You know, I kind of feel badly for him and First Partner over that. They can never return to that restaurant again, which is a shame.

I've never been to The French Laundry, but it's on my bucket list (down towards the bottom, but still on there). It's truly one of America's finest restaurants and a California gem.

If I was Gavin, I would be thrilled to know I could just have my assistant pick up the phone and grab me a Saturday reservation at the best table in the joint whenever I wanted to woo First Partner on a date nite. But now they can never show their face there ever again, at least until he's left politics for good.

Gavin Newsom going to The French Laundry would be like Ted Kennedy doing a commercial for Oldsmobile on Martha's Vineyard.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It was a thing on the John & Ken show on KFI last week. (One of the most listened to shows in the nation with 1.2 Million daily average listeners on the mighty KFI megawatt station that reaches Hawaii)

It's something that changed very recently this winter, about a month ago. Newsom's Communications team got word that his HR psychobabble wasn't helping his case and he needed to seem more normal to people. I think it's too little, too late, but at least it will keep his Communications team busy.
No disrespect to your favorite radio program, but they don't even break into the top 15 nationally.

Again I go back to when Newsom was Mayor of SF, he went through various mannerisms and speech patterns. So its not the first time he has changed things.

You know, there is not much lately you and I agree on. But I just have to say that I enjoy chatting with you and I really appreciate your respectful tone even in our disagreements. Some folks here, many now departed or in hiding, have been downright mean or nasty the past few months. But you make our disagreements fun!

And when things do return to normal and we're left here debating the merits of the new Spiderman ride or the queue placement for Runaway Railway, I can't wait to learn about things we do agree on! :D
I too have enjoyed the conversation even when we disagree. I also look forward to getting back to the more normal Disney Park conversations.

I live for crap like that! It's hilariously entertaining for me, especially when it's stuff from bureaucrats who are, well... bureaucrats.

If they don't go out with a bang on the new system to wind down the Covid era and call it something crazy, I will be really sad.
Well I hope you getting your wish then for a fancy entertaining name.

TP2000

No disrespect to your favorite radio program, but they don't even break into the top 15 nationally.

They aren't syndicated nationally across hundreds of stations like Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity or All Things Considered. You can't hear them in Kansas City or Atlanta, you have to be in SoCal within the range of their antenna on top of Mount Baldy. But they have 1.2 Million average listeners per day, making them one of the most listened to radio shows not in national syndication.

I too have enjoyed the conversation even when we disagree. I also look forward to getting back to the more normal Disney Park conversations.

I can't even imagine what it will be like to get there again! I just want Sacramento to get out of the way and let private industry run their businesses and let American free enterprise take over and choose the winners and losers instead of bureaucrats making those choices for us. I'd like to not have to talk about a California governor keeping Disneyland closed ever again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom