Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP2000

Presumably, there would be no such limit.

Let's hope that whatever replaces the King James edition of The Theme Park Guidance from October, 2020 throws out any and all distance requirements. Here's an interesting comparison between the two states with Disney parks in them, as of today's update...

#20 Florida......... = 15.0% Population Received 1 Dose, 8.3% Population Fully Vaccinated
#42 California
... = 16.0% Population Received 1 Dose, 6.9% Population Fully Vaccinated

So Florida has a leg up on getting locals vaccinated fully, but Florida has 19 other states ahead of it. California is ranked 42nd for percent of population fully vaccinated as of today. (And thus.... a recall looms)

It's the weak tourist industry from foreigners that's really gonna sting for both Disneyland and WDW for a while. The USA is so far ahead of the rest of the western world, except the United Kingdom, that it's shocking. Here we are in early March now, and the big wealthy countries that send their tourists to American theme parks are really pathetic...

United States = 23 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 15.3% Population Received 1 Dose, 7.7% Population Fully Vaccinated

Germany = 7 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 4.9% Population Received 1 Dose, 2.5% Population Fully Vaccinated
France = 7 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 4.6% Population Received 1 Dose, 2.4% Population Fully Vaccinated
Canada = 5 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 2.5% Population Received 1 Dose, 1.4% Population Fully Vaccinated
Mexico = 2 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 1.5% Population Received 1 Dose, 0.4% Population Fully Vaccinated
Australia = 0.1 Dose Per 100 Citizens, 0.1% Population Received 1 Dose, 0.0% Population Fully Vaccinated
South Korea = 0.04 Dose Per 100 Citizens, 0.04% Population Received 1 Dose, 0.0% Population Fully Vaccinated
New Zealand = 0.02 Dose Per 100 Citizens, 0.02% Population Received 1 Dose, 0.0% Population Fully Vaccinated
Japan = 0.02 Dose Per 100 Citizens, 0.02% Population Received 1 Dose, 0.0% Population Fully Vaccinated

Last edited:

TP2000

The European Union sends a lot of tourists to WDW/Orlando specifically, but the EU also sends a lot of tourists to California broadly and many end up for a day or two at Disneyland. Since the United Kingdom is no longer a part of the EU, they are entirely separate. And we all know how many Brits end up in Orlando, but many Brits also visit California.

Since the EU is now without the UK, the EU has 446 Million citizens in it from Ireland to Greece, and the USA has 330 Million.

United States = 23.2 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 15.3% Population Received 1 Shot, 7.7% Population Fully Vaccinated
European Union = 7.5 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 4.9% Population Received 1 Shot, 2.5% Population Fully Vaccinated

And the rate of daily vaccinations doesn't point to any big increase for the EU coming anytime soon. The EU is actually falling further behind the USA, unless Brussels somehow quadruples the daily administered doses to its 446 Million citizens.

As of March 1st...

United States = 330 Million Citizens, 2.4 Million Doses Administered Per Day
European Union = 446 Million Citizens, 898,000 Doses Administered Per Day

This is going to take awhile to get the foreign tourist industry back on track for Disney theme parks! :oops:

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Boomers Irvine is now open

Last edited:

TP2000

My young nephew sent this to me. I don't think it was the best Newsom impersonation; he needs more gravel in his voice and more HR psychobabble sentences. But the hair was good, and extra credit for that horrible zip-up sweater thing with the Cal bear on it.

Of course, SNL is not actually going to go 100% after any Democrat, they save their 100% level attack humor for Republicans. They can only go at about 50% if the Democrat is from the coasts, or at 60% if the Democrat is from the flyover states. But something tells me SNL is going to have to take another look at those rules in the next year or two. ;)

EpcotCentre1982

I received a survey today from DL.com. You can see the key indicators that show/confirm 1) parks are going to be single visit, non park hopper (this was being debated and speculated as DLP allowed hopping but not WDW) 2) you have to select a specific TIME RANGe of entry. And 3) the replacement AP program is not going to be unveiled before opening.
Any idea why the survey is popping up NOW? I am hearing a lot of rumblings and trying to see if someone else has either a) seen this survey in the past when they were about to reopen or b) heard any reopening news. View attachment 536630View attachment 536631View attachment 536632View attachment 536630View attachment 536631View attachment 536632View attachment 536633View attachment 536634View attachment 536635View attachment 536636View attachment 536637View attachment 536638
Nothing concrete when it comes to opening. six flags saying they're opening "with rides" come spring and cedar fair (including knott's) doing an online job postings for their parks including attractions. Not just stores, foods, custodial like their last posting. Theme parks might know something we don't or they're just really putting all their eggs in the basket hoping for a change.

mharrington

At the moment it changes nothing for the CA Theme Parks reopening as the tier system is still in place. Whether they change the tier system in spring still remains to be seen. And if they do change the tier system what they found on their trip is meaningless at that point since it no longer applies.

Ultimately this is a big nothing story in my opinion. Just because its not shared doesn't mean there is something nefarious going on. Information that informs governmental decisions aren't always released to the public for various reasons. Would it be interesting to see it, sure. But is it vital that we see it, no.

Incidentally, I heard that, according to the L.A. Times, there's once again renewed concern (from federal officials) about cases rising as the declines are starting to slow while the new variant spreads, especially in New York City. As it stands now, only 10% of the population has been vaccinated, and some are still waiting for the second dose.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Incidentally, I heard that, according to the L.A. Times, there's once again renewed concern (from federal officials) about cases rising as the declines are starting to slow while the new variant spreads, especially in New York City. As it stands now, only 10% of the population has been vaccinated, and some are still waiting for the second dose.
And once again you're misunderstanding the situation. The concern, just like I told you before, is that we need to vaccinate the population before the variants take hold in the unvaccinated population. So far they haven't, so its an urging again by the medical community to speed up the vaccination program.

In reality, 20% of the population has received at least the first dose, providing at least some protection against severe infection. The 10% you reference is for those who have received their second dose. In addition the single shot Johnson&Johnson vaccine just got approved, which has show to provide protection from severe symptoms from some of the variants. So with Johnson&Johnson now partnering with Merck to boost mass production of their vaccine (deal made today), along with them and Modera and Pfizer they all will provide enough doses to get 220M Americans vaccinated by May. With another 100M vaccinated by July.

So now its just a matter of waiting until your turn comes up and get the shot. The rest you can't worry about.

truecoat

Of course, SNL is not actually going to go 100% after any Democrat, they save their 100% level attack humor for Republicans. They can only go at about 50% if the Democrat is from the coasts, or at 60% if the Democrat is from the flyover states. But something tells me SNL is going to have to take another look at those rules in the next year or two. ;)

Maybe, if the dems start worshipping golden idols and incorporating nazzi symbolism in their platform.

denyuntilcaught

Or if Cancel Culture stops allowing SNL from making jokes...

The irony being that cancel culture is a prominent modern element of American culture, regardless of political spectrum.

Remember, Dems weren't trying to cancel Keurig machines. ;)

Stevek

Or if Cancel Culture stops allowing SNL from making jokes...

I was just talking to my 19 year old daughter about this...how we've gone so far one direction that you literally get called out for anything that could be remotely considered insensitive, even if it's just a joke. Comedians will be out of jobs before we know it. Case in point:

TP2000

Come back tomorrow after his press conference. Pressure is mounting on him to do stuff :)

Apparently not enough pressure. It's after 4pm in Sacramento and he didn't say anything about theme parks or pro sports or restaurants.

Orange (Disneyland, Knott's) and LA (Universal, Six Flags) counties both remain in the Purple Tier this week.

Orange County = 7.5 Actual Case Rate Per 100K, 7.6 Adjusted Case Rate Per 100K, Equity Metric 5.0%
LA County = 9.7 Actual Case Rate Per 100K, 7.2 Adjusted Case Rate Per 100K, Equity Metric 5.1%

As per usual, Orange County gets their hard data "adjusted" up to look worse than reality and LA County gets their hard data adjusted down to look better than reality. Just to keep OC in its place and reminded that its very naughty for disobeying our Sacramento betters. :rolleyes:

The Equity Metric is harder to fudge, and OC beats LA in that one too.

Unless the Blueprint For A Safer Economy is tossed out and replaced with something far less restrictive, both counties are still several months away from reaching the Yellow Tier and reopening their theme parks at 25% capacity with no wind instruments.

mharrington

In reality, 20% of the population has received at least the first dose, providing at least some protection against severe infection. The 10% you reference is for those who have received their second dose. In addition the single shot Johnson&Johnson vaccine just got approved, which has show to provide protection from severe symptoms from some of the variants. So with Johnson&Johnson now partnering with Merck to boost mass production of their vaccine (deal made today), along with them and Modera and Pfizer they all will provide enough doses to get 220M Americans vaccinated by May. With another 100M vaccinated by July.

So now its just a matter of waiting until your turn comes up and get the shot. The rest you can't worry about.

I thought only 15% of the populace got the vaccination, according to TP2000. Speaking of whom, s/he says that while some counties have moved on (or will move on) to the red tier this week, Orange and L.A. Counties are not among them, remaining in purple. TP also claims that OC's hard data had been tampered with so that Sacramento can control it. In conclusion, TP adds that unless the color tier in place is scrapped or altered to be less restrictive, it will be many, many months before Orange and L.A. will ever reach the yellow tier so that parks can reopen at 25% capacity. And to that, I add that's if we're lucky and cases don't rise again.

I guess TP hasn't heard about the J&J dosage which can be effective with just one dose.

TP2000

Let's unpack a few of these things. And realize that these issues are not "according" to me, they are per the state data and the state mandates on specific industries. In this case, the theme park industry. I'm a very nice gentleman, by the way, so I'm a he. :D
I thought only 15% of the populace got the vaccination, according to TP2000.
There's a discrepancy there because some folks aren't counting children under age 18, as the vaccines haven't really been approved for use in children yet. The excellent vaccine tracking website I like is the Bloomberg News site, and they are counting each state's total population and not separating out the state population under age 18.

Thus, California as of today has given 16.5% of its citizens at least one shot, per the Bloomberg tracker.

Speaking of whom, s/he says that while some counties have moved on (or will move on) to the red tier this week, Orange and L.A. Counties are not among them, remaining in purple.
That's true. Both LA and Orange counties remain the Purple Tier for another week. Orange County is the closest to reaching the Red Tier, and perhaps that will happen later in March.

TP also claims that OC's hard data had been tampered with so that Sacramento can control it.
That's my own opinion, half-jokingly. The hard data on Case Rates is "Adjusted" weekly by Sacramento. LA County's case rate always get an adjustment that lowers their case rates in their favor, while Orange County's lower case rate always gets an adjustment that raises their case rates not in their favor. LA County is run entirely by prominent Democrats, and Orange County has a Republican majority on the County Board of Supervisors.

You can come to your own conclusions why LA County always gets extra credit to improve their "adjusted" scores, while Orange County always gets mystery markdowns that worsen their "adjusted" scores. ;)
In conclusion, TP adds that unless the color tier in place is scrapped or altered to be less restrictive, it will be many, many months before Orange and L.A. will ever reach the yellow tier so that parks can reopen at 25% capacity. And to that, I add that's if we're lucky and cases don't rise again.
The way the rules are set up on how a county qualifies for moving from one tier to another is pretty cut and dried. It takes two consecutive weeks of lower tier status to qualify to move to the lower tier. The way it's set up, the best case scenario is that Orange County is about 3 months away from qualifying for the Yellow Tier.

But that's why I really doubt the current Tiers and Blueprint For A Safer Economy will be around much longer. It's too restrictive and too hard for a giant county of millions of people to qualify for the Yellow Tier. The political winds in Sacramento have clearly changed since the Blueprint rules were created last September.

I guess TP hasn't heard about the J&J dosage which can be effective with just one dose.

I have! I'm actually waiting for that one, because I trust it the most. Also, my Soka University appointment for the Pfizer vaccine got cancelled anyway because of the record cold weather back East shutting down vaccine shipments. So I'm back at square one and happy to wait later this year when the Johnson&Johnson shot is available at my local CVS.

mharrington

Let's unpack a few of these things. And realize that these issues are not "according" to me, they are per the state data and the state mandates on specific industries. In this case, the theme park industry. I'm a very nice gentleman, by the way, so I'm a he. :D

There's a discrepancy there because some folks aren't counting children under age 18, as the vaccines haven't really been approved for use in children yet. The excellent vaccine tracking website I like is the Bloomberg News site, and they are counting each state's total population and not separating out the state population under age 18.

Thus, California as of today has given 16.5% of its citizens at least one shot, per the Bloomberg tracker.

I thought Disney Irish said that 20% of the populace has received the vaccine. Or maybe s/he was referring to the entire nation as a whole?

The way the rules are set up on how a county qualifies for moving from one tier to another is pretty cut and dried. It takes two consecutive weeks of lower tier status to qualify to move to the lower tier. The way it's set up, the best case scenario is that Orange County is about 3 months away from qualifying for the Yellow Tier.

But that's why I really doubt the current Tiers and Blueprint For A Safer Economy will be around much longer. It's too restrictive and too hard for a giant county of millions of people to qualify for the Yellow Tier. The political winds in Sacramento have clearly changed since the Blueprint rules were created last September.

Again, as I was telling Disney Irish, nothing has explicitly come out of Sacramento indicating such (yet), especially since Newsom said nothing of the sort. And until/unless they do, I'm going to assume things will be the same. I'm wondering if anyone in the government knows about the political winds that have changed. Do you think you can explain, Disney Irish?

TP2000

I thought Disney Irish said that 20% of the populace has received the vaccine. Or maybe s/he was referring to the entire nation as a whole?

I have no idea where Disney Irish gets his information from. I get my information from the State of California website and reputable media sources like Bloomberg, NPR, LA Times, OC Register, etc. I always provide the links to that information.

Bloomberg says on their regularly updated vaccine tracker that 15.6% of the American population has received one shot of the vaccine as of March 2nd.

Again, as I was telling Disney Irish, nothing has explicitly come out of Sacramento indicating such (yet), especially since Newsom said nothing of the sort. And until/unless they do, I'm going to assume things will be the same.

That's the safest thing to do, assume things will stay the same. Which is why I say it will be at least the middle of summer before Disneyland can reopen in the Yellow Tier. It will take at least 60 days to get 20,000 CM's retrained and restaffed to operate both theme parks after OC enters the Yellow Tier.

Please also know that this is just my guess. I have no inside info and nothing more than a glass of wine and an Internet connection to go by.

Hopefully, whatever system replaces the Tiers will allow private industry to have a heads up and a clear calendar so they may best plan their business for a reopening. The current system can suddenly change from open to closed with very little warning to business owners.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As has been explained to @TP2000 already, a lot of us get our data directly from the CDC not some news site.

As of today California has currently given at least one shot to 21.3% of those 18 and older in the state, while 9.5% of those 18 and older have been fully vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom