Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Orange (Moderate) and Yellow (Minimal) tier ranges will remain the same.
Statewide Vaccine Equity Metric Goal #2:

I honestly like everything about this announcement except this. It is also time to readjust Orange and Yellow and add a green tier (or something post-yellow) with the goal of reaching “full vaccination” needed to achieve ideal statewide herd immunity.

With many counties already scheduled to hit red under the old standard it’s best if the state would keep dancing the carrot. It’s important they keep their foot on the gas and not plateau there.

From both an epidemiological standpoint and an economic one - these incentives can work. I see no reason to keep taking a piecemeal approach to this process.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I honestly like everything about this announcement except this. It is also time to readjust Orange and Yellow and add a green tier (or something post-yellow) with the goal of reaching “full vaccination” needed to achieve ideal statewide herd immunity.

With many counties already scheduled to hit red under the old standard it’s best if the state would keep dancing the carrot. It’s important they keep their foot on the gas and not plateau there.

From both an epidemiological standpoint and an economic one - these incentives can work. I see no reason to keep taking a piecemeal approach to this process.
That is where the second part of the metric comes in, Orange and Yellow tier get updated once 4M doses have been administered in the lower income communities.

Purple (Widespread) tier threshold will remain at greater than 10 cases per 100,000, Red (Substantial) tier case rate range will narrow to 6-10 cases per 100,000; and the Orange (Moderate) tier case rate range will shift to 2-5.9 cases per 100,0000. The Yellow (Minimal) tier case rate range will shift to less than 2 cases per 100,000 when:

4 million doses have been administered to persons living in the Vaccine Equity Quartile (assessed statewide).

This is gives incentives to speed up the vaccinations in those areas.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

That is where the second part of the metric comes in, Orange and Yellow tier get updated once 4M doses have been administered in the lower income communities.

This is gives incentives to speed up the vaccinations in those areas.
Great information, thanks.

I still would prefer once we hit the 4M equity threshold that we’d see more of a splitting of the tiers (and perhaps a more slightly attainable yellow) with the aim of creating the new 5th tier.

But I’ll save my quibble for after when that benchmark is reached.😉

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Great information, thanks.

I still would prefer once we hit the 4M equity threshold that we’d see more of a splitting of the tiers (and perhaps a more slightly attainable yellow) with the aim of creating the new 5th tier.

But I’ll save my quibble for after when that benchmark is reached.😉
As we progress with vaccinations over the next month or so I wouldn't be surprised if things get adjusted even more. As has been the case throughout the entire pandemic its a dynamic policy that can be changed if needed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So hold people's businesses and jobs hostage until the people who are more likely to refuse a vaccine get one?

What a bully.
How is this holding businesses and jobs hostage? This is the ability for counties is get to the less restrictive tiers faster through vaccinations, and note the metric is based on the whole state not a specific counties performance. So if LA County does all heavy lifting for example and does all the vaccinations to meet the goals, then the whole state prospers. The whole point of this is to make sure that those in less affluent communities aren't left behind, which tends to happen in these situations.

TP2000

The recall is really just going to draw the state GOP's resources away from congressional office races that would be far better targets for them.

No, the recall is going to remove Gavin Newsom from the national political field. He'll be toxic to the DNC as they assemble their Presidential and VP fields in '24, and he'll be forgotten by '28. He and First Partner can go run a very stylish boutique winery no one cares about with more Getty oil money, and I wish them all the best.

Heck, a few years from now after he's left the public eye, he may even be able to slink back to The French Laundry for dinner.

None of my friends who have signed the recall petition, even one small business owner I know who has the petition posted at her reception desk for customers to sign, think that Gavin Newsom will lose his job this fall. The only reason why it worked in '03 against Grey Davis is because Arnold Schwarzenegger ran against him.

There is no Arnold Schwarzenegger this time. Those of us who signed the recall position aren't naive enough to think it will replace Newsom within six months. We only want to see Newsom's rising political star dimmed and prevented from going national.

The other 49 states can send us a thank you note later this decade.

TP2000

I know in the Chicago area the data showing which areas were hit hardest by covid and which areas are most likely to have access to vaccinations was a pretty stark difference.

The same is true in every city and state in the union. I imagine it's the same globally too.

Here in OC the map of which Zip Codes had the most Covid cases and deaths is crystal clear. The poor neighborhoods in Orange County where people live with many people in two or three bedroom small homes and cramped apartment blocks, mostly south Santa Ana and western Anaheim, have almost all the Covid cases in OC. But only a few miles due east, my Zip Code in the leafy foothills where people live with small households in separated single-family homes, Covid is rare to non-existent.

The exception is the big urban areas where even upper-middle class folks live in crowded apartment towers, sharing elevator buttons and doorknobs and HVAC units every single day. Those types of housing environments had higher Covid rates than the suburbs.

Which is why I've always been so pleased to live in a lovely, quiet, spread out suburb. It's heavenly! :)

Last edited:

DavidNoble

The same is true in every city and state in the union. I imagine it's the same globally too.

Here in OC the map of which Zip Codes had the most Covid cases and deaths is crystal clear. The poor neighborhoods in Orange County where people live with many people in two or three bedroom small homes and cramped apartment blocks, mostly south Santa Ana and western Anaheim, have almost all the Covid cases in OC. But only a few miles due east, my Zip Code in the leafy foothills where people live with small households in large single-family homes, Covid is rare to non-existent.

The exception is the big urban areas where even upper-middle class folks live in crowded apartment towers, sharing elevator buttons and doorknobs and HVAC units every single day. Those types of housing environments had higher Covid rates than the suburbs.

Which is why I've always been so pleased to live in a lovely, quiet, spread out suburb. It's heavenly! :)

We know TP2000 doesn't mingle with the plebs ;)

TP2000

We know TP2000 doesn't mingle with the plebs ;)

Well, I don't know what a pleb is. But the science & data was crystal clear on Covid in OC; the middle-class and upper-middle class zip codes containing 3 million people in OC where people aren't crammed in to apartment blocks have far less Covid cases.

EDIT: Oh, plebe! I think you meant to spell it plebes. ;)

DavidNoble

Well, I don't know what a pleb is. But the science & data was crystal clear on Covid in OC; the middle-class and upper-middle class zip codes where people aren't crammed into apartments had far less Covid cases.

Pleb = Plebians ;)

And yeah, definitely. Density plays a huge part in it all. Plus those in middle-class and upper-middle class neighborhoods were more likely to be able to work from home, thus limiting their interaction with other people (if they so chose to do so). Those in lower-income are more likely to have to work front-line or essential jobs. Mix that with your city's level of density (like you said, crammed into apartments or not) and you've got a lovely cocktail that one may or may not want to drink.

TP2000

Pleb = Plebians ;)

And yeah, definitely. Density plays a huge part in it all. Plus those in middle-class and upper-middle class neighborhoods were more likely to be able to work from home, thus limiting their interaction with other people (if they so chose to do so). Those in lower-income are more likely to have to work front-line or essential jobs. Mix that with your city's level of density (like you said, crammed into apartments or not) and you've got a lovely cocktail that one may or may not want to drink.

Wasn't it spelled Plebeians with an 'e' in there? That's what the Romans called the working classes. I could have sworn the Romans spelled it Plebeians, and two thousand years later we use "plebe" in a sentence. But I may be wrong without searching ancient Roman history.

The front-line worker thing is a fascinating topic. It gets to the other thread about outdoor/indoor dining, because all the data we have on contact tracing shows that the vast majority of Covid cases in the restaurant industry were happening among the employees working long hours back in cramped kitchens.

So many of our political leaders in this country tried to shut down dining rooms, but kept the restaurants open in order to send the stylish middle classes dinner via Doordash and Uber Eats. So the same front-line workers were still working back in cramped kitchens and catching Covid, but some folks could pretend they were "doing something" by ordering their food via Doordash instead of eating on a patio or Socially Distanced dining room.

The plebes working the kitchens still caught Covid and then spread it to their extended family living in a cramped apartment, and all the middle-classes could still make cutesy heart symbols for their Twitter and Instagram feeds to show they were an Official Good Person.

Hysterically hypocritical and anti-science! 🤣

happy-girl-gesturing-heart-love-sign-hands-gloves-woman-protective-medical-face-mask-holds-form-symbol-young-185369822.jpg

Last edited:

DavidNoble

Wasn't it spelled Plebeians with an 'e' in there? That's what the Romans called the working classes. I could have sworn the Romans spelled it Plebeians, and two thousand years later we use "plebe" in a sentence. But I may be wrong without searching ancient Roman history.

The front-line worker thing is a fascinating topic. It gets to the other thread about outdoor/indoor dining, because all the data we have on contact tracing shows that the vast majority of Covid cases in the restaurant industry were happening among the employees working long hours back in cramped kitchens.

So many of our political leaders in this country tried to shut down dining rooms, but kept the restaurants open in order to send the stylish middle classes dinner via Doordash and Uber Eats. So the same front-line workers were still working back in cramped kitchens and catching Covid, but some folks could pretend they were "doing something" by ordering their food via Doordash instead of eating on a patio or Socially Distanced dining room.

The plebes working the kitchens still caught Covid and then spread it to their extended family living in a cramped apartment, and all the middle-classes could still make cutesy heart symbols for their Twitter and Instagram feeds to show they were an Official Good Person.

Hysterically hypocritical and anti-science! 🤣

happy-girl-gesturing-heart-love-sign-hands-gloves-woman-protective-medical-face-mask-holds-form-symbol-young-185369822.jpg

You're probably right about it with an 'e' :p

And it's definitely a trick slope to manage, because you're right. They're back there in close quarters (maybe not even wearing a mask) and obviously transmitting COVID to one another. They've got to go to work because they're not going to receive unemployment.

I think there've been many options tried out across the states and they've all been average at best in terms of success. It begs the question of if we'd gone into a hard lockdown in February for the month (with money provided to everyone similar to the stimulus checks that've been sent out) and kept all of our borders closes (no one in, no one out)... what would've happened? It's hard to say because you look at New Zealand who did that and it worked well, but we're nowhere near the size of NZ and thus that adds a number of complexities.

Just makes you wonder what other paths could've happened and worked better than what we have now (economy in tatters, 500K+ dead, etc.)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No, the recall is going to remove Gavin Newsom from the national political field. He'll be toxic to the DNC as they assemble their Presidential and VP fields in '24, and he'll be forgotten by '28. He and First Partner can go run a very stylish boutique winery no one cares about with more Getty oil money, and I wish them all the best.

Heck, a few years from now after he's left the public eye, he may even be able to slink back to The French Laundry for dinner.

None of my friends who have signed the recall petition, even one small business owner I know who has the petition posted at her reception desk for customers to sign, think that Gavin Newsom will lose his job this fall. The only reason why it worked in '03 against Grey Davis is because Arnold Schwarzenegger ran against him.

There is no Arnold Schwarzenegger this time. Those of us who signed the recall position aren't naive enough to think it will replace Newsom within six months. We only want to see Newsom's rising political star dimmed and prevented from going national.

The other 49 states can send us a thank you note later this decade.
Dunno, Newsom is still a young guy, in a few years after this is all but a distant memory a Senate or Presidential run might still be possible.

So I wouldn't count him out as having a political future.

RescueTheDay

Dunno, Newsom is still a young guy, in a few years after this is all but a distant memory a Senate or Presidential run might still be possible.

So I wouldn't count him out as having a political future.
Completely agree. Humans are fickle with short attn spans, and this will blow over as an unnecessary recall that wasted money. His big time Presidential dreams were already postponed as soon as Kamala Harris was named Vice-President.

Stevek

If the only way someone can be funny is by using offensive material, then they probably never were funny to begin with.
Comedians have used offensive material for decades. Eddie Murphy was hilarious. Not PC at all. Times have changed. We’re at a point where comedians can no longer be “blue” and everyone will be toned down versions of Larry the Cable guy and Jeff Foxworthy.

mharrington

So the Blueprint has been updated:

Statewide Vaccine Equity Metric Goal #1:

Purple (Widespread) tier will shift from greater than 7 cases per 100,000 to greater than 10 cases per 100,000; and the Red (Substantial) tier will be widened to 4-7 cases per 100,000 when:

2 million doses have been administered to persons living in the Vaccine Equity Quartile. (assessed statewide).

Orange (Moderate) and Yellow (Minimal) tier ranges will remain the same.

Purple (Widespread) tier threshold will remain at greater than 10 cases per 100,000, Red (Substantial) tier case rate range will narrow to 6-10 cases per 100,000; and the Orange (Moderate) tier case rate range will shift to 2-5.9 cases per 100,0000. The Yellow (Minimal) tier case rate range will shift to less than 2 cases per 100,000 when:

4 million doses have been administered to persons living in the Vaccine Equity Quartile (assessed statewide).

So then the reopening of parks, stadiums, etc., are still in the yellow tier then? Didn't you say you thought that it would move to orange or something?

How is this holding businesses and jobs hostage? This is the ability for counties is get to the less restrictive tiers faster through vaccinations, and note the metric is based on the whole state not a specific counties performance. So if LA County does all heavy lifting for example and does all the vaccinations to meet the goals, then the whole state prospers. The whole point of this is to make sure that those in less affluent communities aren't left behind, which tends to happen in these situations.

If that's the case, then shouldn't blacks and Latinos get some favorable treatment? I believe they are getting the short end of the stick. They are among the less affluent communities, are they not?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So then the reopening of parks, stadiums, etc., are still in the yellow tier then? Didn't you say you thought that it would move to orange or something?
They are still in the Yellow tier currently, but the Yellow tier requirements will change once the vaccine goal is met. Also its still possible for the tier system to be changed even further in the near future. Plus don't forget that the Bill to have large theme parks like Disneyland moved to the Orange tier is still in progress. So that in itself may still change large theme parks placement in the tier system.

The point is that things are getting better and a reopening of theme parks will happen sooner rather than later in my opinion.

If that's the case, then shouldn't blacks and Latinos get some favorable treatment? I believe they are getting the short end of the stick. They are among the less affluent communities, are they not?
That is the whole point of tying the vaccinations to the tier system. The more vaccinations that happen in the African American and Latino communities the faster it is for business such as theme parks to reopen.

mharrington

They are still in the Yellow tier currently, but the Yellow tier requirements will change once the vaccine goal is met. Also its still possible for the tier system to be changed even further in the near future. Plus don't forget that the Bill to have large theme parks like Disneyland moved to the Orange tier is still in progress. So that in itself may still change large theme parks placement in the tier system.

The point is that things are getting better and a reopening of theme parks will happen sooner rather than later in my opinion.

I don't know how far along this bill is, but I do know that it's up to Newsom to sign it. There is a chance he could veto it. I hope he doesn't, though.

That is the whole point of tying the vaccinations to the tier system. The more vaccinations that happen in the African American and Latino communities the faster it is for business such as theme parks to reopen.

But I had heard, though, that some are making it difficult for blacks and Latinos to get it, and some may not even want the vaccine, which would hinder things a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom