News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Buried20KLeague

What surprises me the most is how little you actually see it from Tomorrowland. At least in these photos even the canopy is hidden away and barely sticks up above the people mover tracks. It is a cool view from the speedway, but that seems like the only place you can really get a good view of it.

Unless there are better views of it from Tomorrowland that I just haven’t seen yet, it almost seems like it’s easier to see the gravity building from in the park than the canopy, and that’s just tragic

Since the day it was announced, I've said it's facing the completely wrong way.

In Shanghai you can stand in the hub and clearly see the length of the canopy. It draws you to the land.

In WDW you'll only see the end of the canopy from most angles in the park, and it'll be hidden in most cases.

This entire thing was shoehorned in a horrible spot, rushed to greenlight because the design was already paid for. It was a nice ride, but it's STUPIDLY short. It should have been redesigned and placed better if they wanted to bring it into WDW. This whole thing is a mistake the way they did it.

corran horn

In Shanghai you can stand in the hub and clearly see the length of the canopy. It draws you to the land.

In WDW you'll only see the end of the canopy from most angles in the park, and it'll be hidden in most cases.

This entire thing was shoehorned in a horrible spot, rushed to greenlight because the design was already paid for. It was a nice ride, but it's STUPIDLY short. It should have been redesigned and placed better if they wanted to bring it into WDW. This whole thing is a mistake the way they did it.
I'm excited about it. I'm sure I'll love it. I'm happy to see anything TRON.

But you're probably right.

MadTeacup

Given the proximity of TRON to Barnstormer, I’ll be curious to see how the pull off the transition between two rides that couldn’t possibly be any more different thematically. Not much room for sensory tickles. Surely they can do better than the other Tomorrowland-Fantasyland transition where you see Mad Tea Party behind Sonny Eclipse.

Imagineers didn’t get EVERYTHING right in the ‘70s...
I mean... Tron is basically a tent in front of a box and that's what most of Storybook Circus is. Perhaps one could make the argument that Tron is actually an expansion of Fantasyland and not Tomorrowland if it's viewed as an arcade at a circus. The design of the building disrupts the aesthetics of both lands equally, anyway.

And while I see your point, I would also argue that Tomorrowland '71 was less story driven and therefore it was not as relevant what the view was from the Cosmic Ray's building in 1971 because it was not set in a Space Port. To be clear though, I DO agree with you.

Last edited:

Buried20KLeague

I'm excited about it. I'm sure I'll love it. I'm happy to see anything TRON.

But you're probably right.

don’t be so sure. Twice the wait of dwarves (I guarantee it) for even less ride time? It’s going to tick a lot of people off.

we got as much or more enjoyment just standing under the canopy watching the light show at night and the train go around the outdoor loop as we did riding it, and that was with short Shanghai waits.

the ride is a fun launch, the outdoor portion is fun, and then the interior is a less extreme and shorter rock n roller coaster without the loops or good music.

UNCgolf

And yet it still needs a giant box with an attached canopy to house it. Like GotG, you have to wonder if it's the best use of space.

It does seem silly that the ride needs a box that large when part of it is outside and the whole thing lasts less than a minute. Feels like a "we have enough space that we don't need to bother being efficient with it" and who cares if it's a long term waste.

Slinky Dog Dash has a similar problem minus the box. It takes up a tremendous amount of space. They could have designed it differently and left enough room for numerous other things so that the land wouldn't feel so sparse. Its footprint isn't that much smaller than the entire guest facing area of Galaxy's Edge (not including the ride buildings), and I think it's all unusable for the future because of the way the ride is designed. It just feels like a gigantic waste of land for what is an almost off the shelf roller coaster. It's not like SDD is an incredible can't be missed E-ticket.

Last edited:

Buried20KLeague

The other problem is the music in the area.

In Shanghai the whole Tomorrowland area music is much more techno and it’s loud and pumps. It works with the high tech looking canopy.

what are they gonna do in WDW? Update all of Tomorrowland’s music (they better not)? Play the loud techno only by tron which will bleed and cause a problem in the areas around it? Simply play the normal Tomorrowland music and not have the techno pumping?

it’s gonna be jarring, no matter the choice they make,

Buried20KLeague

It does seem insane that the ride needs a box that large when part of it is outside and the whole thing lasts less than a minute. Feels like a "we have enough space that we don't need to bother being efficient with it" and who cares if it's a long term waste.

Slinky Dog Dash has a similar problem minus the box. It takes up a tremendous amount of space. They could have designed it differently and left enough room for numerous other things so that the land wouldn't feel so sparse. Its footprint isn't that much smaller than the entire guest facing area of Galaxy's Edge (not including the ride buildings), and I think it's all unusable for the future because of the way the ride is designed. It just feels like a gigantic waste of land.

There’s a LOT of interior que space. In Shanghai essentially the whole que is indoors. In WDW you’ll probably have to wait 80 mins just to get to the entrance of the indoor que.

Marc Davis Fan

don’t be so sure. Twice the wait of dwarves (I guarantee it) for even less ride time? It’s going to tick a lot of people off.

we got as much or more enjoyment just standing under the canopy watching the light show at night and the train go around the outdoor loop as we did riding it, and that was with short Shanghai waits.

the ride is a fun launch, the outdoor portion is fun, and then the interior is a less extreme and shorter rock n roller coaster without the loops or good music.

This is similar to my reaction after riding it in Shanghai.

I'd compare it to Na'vi River Journey in the sense that it's a really worthwhile experience if you have a FP+ for it, but it's disappointing if you waited in a long queue for it. In both cases, the "queue-time to ride-time ratio" is the big problem.

Honestly, they could have doubled guest satisfaction for this attraction if they simply extended the ride time. They could've cut the outdoor portion (which makes no thematic sense anyway, since you're supposed to be "inside the grid"), and instead added a second indoor launch to double the ride time and maintain the same ride capacity. Then it would've gotten great GSR.

I wouldn't quite compare the inside to RnRC, though. RnRC features 2D cartoon images (that you ride past in old-fashioned, restrictive vehicles). T:LCR features "real" sets and good lighting effects, which actually contribute to a cognizable story (and which you ride past in impressive vehicles that contribute to the story).

Anyway, as long as they plant enough trees-on-a-little-berm-near-SBC, at least it's not as much of an eyesore from throughout the park and across the lagoon as I originally worried it would be, making it probably still a net positive for the park...

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Is that in reference to wondering what T:LCR stands for (TRON: Lightcycle Run - though officially it's TRON: Lightcycle Power Run), or what "real" sets means (why put it in quotes)? By which I guess they just mean there's a sense of a tactile physical environment in TRON that moves beyond the Blacklight Cutouts of Rock N' Roller Coaster, even if it's not fully realized in a traditional manner.

SilentWindODoom

In Shanghai the building is more visible from worse places. The current positioning is possibly the least intrusive way. If they'd angled it differently, the box would have probably dwarfed Space Mountain from within the park.

To be fair, the old pathway from TL to Storybook Circus will become a Tomorrowland expansion, so there will be new views of TRON from the land.

Given the proximity of TRON to Barnstormer, I’ll be curious to see how the pull off the transition between two rides that couldn’t possibly be any more different thematically. Not much room for sensory tickles. Surely they can do better than the other Tomorrowland-Fantasyland transition where you see Mad Tea Party behind Sonny Eclipse.

Imagineers didn’t get EVERYTHING right in the ‘70s...

This is one of the things that has bothered me the most, the idea that things were once perfect and this shows a degradation of values. That happens a lot. Maintenance, improvements, the view of some older attractions, the Orlando view that millions of one-time-ever guests means there's no need to innovate. But this isn't one of them because they were letting things slip all the time. We remember the triumphs like the Contemporary Tower over Tomorrowland or the Matterhorn tree, but I posted the skyway pics for a reason. People mention not wanting to lower standards, but I'm just holding them to the same standard as their heyday.

The other problem is the music in the area.

In Shanghai the whole Tomorrowland area music is much more techno and it’s loud and pumps. It works with the high tech looking canopy.

what are they gonna do in WDW? Update all of Tomorrowland’s music (they better not)? Play the loud techno only by tron which will bleed and cause a problem in the areas around it? Simply play the normal Tomorrowland music and not have the techno pumping?

it’s gonna be jarring, no matter the choice they make,

To get to Tron, you have to travel past the old arcade and below the TTA track before walking a hundred feet or so to the canopy. You'll get it on the back half of the speedway and the ride into Space Mountain on the Peoplemover while the voiceover is telling you "That's Tron over there"?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is that in reference to wondering what T:LCR stands for (TRON: Lightcycle Run - though officially it's TRON: Lightcycle Power Run), or what "real" sets means (why put it in quotes)? By which I guess they just mean there's a sense of a tactile physical environment in TRON that moves beyond the Blacklight Cutouts of Rock N' Roller Coaster, even if it's not fully realized in a traditional manner.
“Real“ set.

Movielover

"Ugh... It's another punk..."

giphy.gif

;)

GimpYancIent

There’s a LOT of interior que space. In Shanghai essentially the whole que is indoors. In WDW you’ll probably have to wait 80 mins just to get to the entrance of the indoor que.
A lot of referencing to SD. First off SD is in China, gag, yuk. The WDW TRON is set into a classic environment of attractions spanning decades and will be different! I am curious to see how it all works when complete and the guests reactions to it. Here in the U.S. not at some spin off copy park that Disney has less than a half stake in.

MadTeacup

A lot of referencing to SD. First off SD is in China, gag, yuk. The WDW TRON is set into a classic environment of attractions spanning decades and will be different! I am curious to see how it all works when complete and the guests reactions to it. Here in the U.S. not at some spin off copy park that Disney has less than a half stake in.
You understand that minus the dialogue and the approach to the entrance, this is LITERALLY the exact same ride as the one at SD, correct? If you're talking more about the guest reaction, I do feel that people are underestimating the guest satisfaction scores it will receive. It's not the ride Magic Kingdom deserves or needs, but it IS a new coaster with pretty lights. As much as I would love to be wrong because I honestly think it's a flawed attraction and a poor choice for MK, I think it is going to be well-received by the general public. I only hope they don't waste any precious land in Disneyland on another clone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom