News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

JIMINYCR

I find it quite disrespectful to compare the Legacy panels to the Vietnam memorial. Theres no comparison to the look, feel, style or purpose to what Disney has erected. I think theyve done a good job at coming up with a colorful and attractive substitute to what was initially placed in the park.
I am surprised that there are so many panels. When we wandered the old granite blocks there were so many open unused areas throughout the ones displayed. It surprises me that consolidating all the tiles that we still have so many panels.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I am surprised that there are so many panels. When we wandered the old granite blocks there were so many open unused areas throughout the ones displayed. It surprises me that consolidating all the tiles that we still have so many panels.
Agreed, I'm surprised by how many panels are going up compared to how it appeared before

Leave-a-Legacy_Full_35338.jpg

UNCgolf

Agreed, I'm surprised by how many panels are going up compared to how it appeared before

Leave-a-Legacy_Full_35338.jpg

Are the new images larger than the old ones? It's hard to tell but they look like they're slightly bigger than the ones on the monoliths. Even a very small size increase would cause a large difference because of the sheer numbers involved.

Sir_Cliff

What these new Leave a Legacy walls need is an amazing nighttime lighting package. Make them come alive and be something wow to look at.
Do they really want to draw that much attention to them? If they're contractually advised to keep the photos on display, they might as well make it attractive. The walls are only interesting, though, if you bought a tile or are close to someone who bought a tile during a relatively short period of Epcot's lifespan. Unless they need a sales pitch to sell more, putting a fancy lighting package of them would surely just draw people over to scratch their heads at why they're supposed to be interested in looking at pictures of etchings of the faces of strangers.

I find it quite disrespectful to compare the Legacy panels to the Vietnam memorial. Theres no comparison to the look, feel, style or purpose to what Disney has erected. I think theyve done a good job at coming up with a colorful and attractive substitute to what was initially placed in the park.
I feel this entire idea was very badly conceived. No disrespect to anyone who has purchased a tile, but many people do find the aesthetics of the faces of strangers etched into metal very eery.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Are the new images larger than the old ones? It's hard to tell but they look like they're slightly bigger than the ones on the monoliths. Even a very small size increase would cause a large difference because of the sheer numbers involved.
The new ones are very close to an inch square, which I think the originals were also. It is strange.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Do they really want to draw that much attention to them? If they're contractually advised to keep the photos on display, they might as well make it attractive. The walls are only interesting, though, if you bought a tile or are close to someone who bought a tile during a relatively short period of Epcot's lifespan. Unless they need a sales pitch to sell more, putting a fancy lighting package of them would surely just draw people over to scratch their heads at why they're supposed to be looking at pictures of etchings of the faces of strangers.
My thoughts on the lighting package was more directed to making it interesting for those who don't have a picture up there. You could do something really interesting with a massive fiber or LED design on those long expanses of walls.

UNCgolf

The new ones are very close to an inch square, which I think the originals were also. It is strange.

Did the monoliths have images on both sides? I can't remember -- generally walked by them without paying much attention. That could account for some of it.

Sir_Cliff

My thoughts on the lighting package was more directed to making it interesting for those who don't have a picture up there. You could do something really interesting with a massive fiber or LED design on those long expanses of walls.
That is an interesting idea, actually. If the pictures were almost incidental to the overall effect at night that could be something very nice when leaving the park.

Biff215

Did the monoliths have images on both sides? I can't remember -- generally walked by them without paying much attention. That could account for some of it.
I believe they did, and the plan was likely to cover both sides of every stone, which they did not do even over 7-8 years of sales. Displayed this way, however, it just looks like a whole lot more. Very doubtful they'll sell more as others have wondered as the space is filling up fast.

TikibirdLand

I mean, it's fine... I kinda wish they'd have just let them go extinct...

Or created a digital version that guests could access somewhere in the park.
Those that have seen the new ones up close: are they still metal etched? Are the colors anodized over the etchings? Really can't tell from the pictures...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom