Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

From a florida today article:

At that rate it will be over 180 weeks to full vaccination of population ( of course some will not get vaccinated no matter what)

Assuming these are first shot allocations, it would be around 85 weeks. However, you have to assume that once Johnson & Johnson and possibly Astrazeneca are added to the supply, it will go a lot faster.

Somehow my Mom was able to call this morning and get an appointment for first shot at Hard Rock Stadium tomorrow. They actually offered her a choice of tomorrow, Wednesday or Thursday.

Kevin_W

Assuming these are first shot allocations, it would be around 85 weeks. However, you have to assume that once Johnson & Johnson and possibly Astrazeneca are added to the supply, it will go a lot faster.

Somehow my Mom was able to call this morning and get an appointment for first shot at Hard Rock Stadium tomorrow. They actually offered her a choice of tomorrow, Wednesday or Thursday.

Yes, it needs to speed up. This isn't a "we were late starting"issue. It's not evena a "we need to go a bit faster" issue. We need to speed up quite a bit.

Congrats for your mom. ym wife finally got an appointment for her first shot next Thursday.

Disney Experience

I was looking at the two doses but I was still off by a few weeks (169 vs 180) when I calculated it quickly in my head without looking up the exact Florida pop number (21,480,000). I was assuming that the article numbers are not only quantifying first dose, but all doses sent to the state.

I am glad your mom got a reservation.

Disney Experience

Yes, I agree, it shows why we need J&J and AZ vaccines.

The worldwide picture is an even more challenging situation. 7.794 billion people , and some percent of that to get vaccinated enough vaccinated or post covid for world wide herd immunity to kick in.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

I was looking at the two doses but I was still off by a few weeks (169 vs 180) when I calculated it quickly in my head without looking up the exact Florida pop number (21,480,000). I was assuming that the article numbers are not only quantifying first dose, but all doses sent to the state.

I am glad your mom got a reservation.
The reason I am assuming that it is first doses is because the 495,000 for Dec 14-20 needed matching 2nd doses delivered last week which is a lot more than the 253,000 received (which included Moderna while the 12/14-20 didn't).

Stitch826

What exactly is taking so long with the vaccinations? Counties constantly were operating drive-through COVID testing sites, testing hundreds or thousands of people per day. But now they don’t have the logistics where they could do the same type of thing to give vaccinations? Or is it a distribution problem? Hopefully Biden makes this priority number one and allocates whatever resources necessary to speed this along so we can have as normal a summer as possible.

DisneyCane

What exactly is taking so long with the vaccinations? Counties constantly were operating drive-through COVID testing sites, testing hundreds or thousands of people per day. But now they don’t have the logistics where they could do the same type of thing to give vaccinations? Or is it a distribution problem? Hopefully Biden makes this priority number one and allocates whatever resources necessary to speed this along so we can have as normal a summer as possible.
Testing doesn't require ultra cold storage or thawing. Also, the testing took quite some time to ramp up the current capability.

Biden is sure to do something to make sure to look like he's doing something different than Trump but I'd expect by inauguration day the shots will be given close to the rate of supply. The issue is going to be supply in the medium term.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current vaccine report for Florida -

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 3.08.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 3.08.34 PM.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Testing doesn't require ultra cold storage or thawing. Also, the testing took quite some time to ramp up the current capability.

Biden is sure to do something to make sure to look like he's doing something different than Trump but I'd expect by inauguration day the shots will be given close to the rate of supply. The issue is going to be supply in the medium term.
They could allocate some additional money to state and local governments. Trump was deeply opposed to giving more money to the state and local governments because of his feuds with blue state governors. In this last bill the compromise was the Dems wanted the liability protection stripped out and the Republicans wanted money for state and local governments reduced as well as individual check amounts reduced. It’s not the end all be all solution, but if you want to speed up a process throwing more resources at it will surely help and it will pay for itself since the quicker the economy gets ramped up the less need for future stimulus and relief bills. I’d rather see that then just $2,000 checks. Money is nice but what people want is a quicker return to normal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yet, at this moment, New Jersey's numbers are higher than Florida's.
I don't see NJ as being significantly worse than Florida...

Number of cases per capita: Historically and currently, NJ and Florida are even. That's right, FL caught up to NJ's huge spike because of their consistent high plateau of cases. For about five months, NJ had significantly fewer cases.

1610397459007.png

Number of deaths per capita: NJ has a historically larger number of deaths that came mostly from the initial spike. But FL was hellbent on catching up. As far as the current number of deaths, Florida is doing better at a rate of about .5 persons per 100,000.

1610397501983.png

mmascari

They could allocate some additional money to state and local governments.
This.

Back in 2019, how many states budgeted for 2020 COVID expenses?

How many states had lower tax revenue in 2020?
How well did states budget for 2021 COVID expenses, including vaccination?

How did the lower 2020 revenue impact the 2021 COVID budgeting and other budget items that need money?

I know my state is using money from the reserve/rainy day fund to pay for things. But that only goes so far.

As has been true since day one, guidance, organization, and funding is needed centrally for actions to be implemented locally. There's only one entity that can simply create money.

_caleb

Aside from Disney providing charity, what, exactly, will this accomplish? How about you pay some employees to not work for virtue signalling?
The loss of good, experienced, and proven CMs/Imagineers has resulted in a Disney that has forgotten how to Disney. If money is so tight (and we're considering people to be nothing more than assets), it would be better for Disney to sell off IP and property than lay off the people who have all helped make Disney what we love(d) about the parks in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom