News Walt Disney World theme parks increase capacity but see longer waits and less physical distancing

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think he thinks the cdc has the authority to tell you what you can and cannot do.
I just said this:
You are delusional if you read this as anything other than the CDC telling you not to travel for Thanksgiving and that gatherings increase spread. They can’t say don’t travel because they have no authority to make an order like that. The recommendation is clear as day that traveling is not advised. Direct from the CDC:
It’s not rocket science here people. The CDC makes recommendations and it’s up to the states to implement rules and policy. This hasn’t changed since March.

Miss Bella

Maybe their experience is different than yours. You are a nurse and you have your experience but that doesn’t mean you know the situation in every hospital in every state or even in the same town you are in. I don’t think because you aren’t seeing that situation at your hospital that that means these stories are made up by the media. Isn‘t it possible that situations are different depending on where you go?
Did it ever occur to you that some people handle stress different than others. Like I said many nurses leave the profession after just a few years. It’s not for everyone.
Why don’t you ever see stories from the nurses that are handling it or the ones that don’t let Covid control their lives. Where are those stories?

Parker in NYC

Did it ever occur to you that some people handle stress different than others. Like I said many nurses leave the profession after just a few years. It’s not for everyone.
Why don’t you ever see stories from the nurses that are handling it or the ones that don’t let Covid control their lives. Where are those stories?
On the media you watch.

legwand77

Simple, those stories don't get clicks or ratings or go viral. Even the nurse story in question is a nurse that retweets/tweets dramatic stories multiple times everyday and has been for a long time, playing the social media attention game.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Isn‘t that the point I was making. Everyone is in different situations. So instead of discounting someone else’s story as the creation of the fake news media because it doesn’t lineup with your personal story maybe just accept that others are struggling and be thankful you are not.

I don’t think someone who is honest about their feelings is letting Covid control their lives. The woman in that story is still working and still living her life. She is handling it.

legwand77

Isn‘t that the point I was making. Everyone is in different situations. So instead of discounting someone else’s story as the creation of the fake news media because it doesn’t lineup with your personal story maybe just accept that others are struggling and be thankful you are not.

I don’t think someone who is honest about their feelings is letting Covid control their lives. The woman in that story is still working and still living her life. She is handling it.
Who said it was fake?

legwand77

Nobody ever said it wasn’t a recommendation. I said people were traveling for Thanksgiving against CDC recommendations and you just said a few posts back that the CDC wasn’t saying not to travel. So now we agree that they are in fact recommending people don’t travel for Thanksgiving. Glad we cleared that up.
The point you made that I commented on is you said people traveling on Thanksgiving will cause people to die. I disagreed. That is all. Everyone can have differing opinions.

I have said from the beginning when I brought up the CDC that it is a recommendation. Either way some people are traveling and some aren't. Time to move on.

legwand77

Crowds are as expected at Disney , looking busy today. Lady in the pink is worried the picture will be posted on social media I bet.
EnhuFeVW8AUWkvX.jpg

EnhuFeWXUAU5Ljj.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Mrs. rowrbazzle is in healthcare. We're having Thanksgiving at home without any outside visitors. We reeeeeeeally wanted to go see family, but just couldn't bring ourselves to do it given the state of things. We're in a "safe" area, but would have been traveling to a hot spot, which would've made it an even worse decision. As for her coworkers, many of them were getting together with family locally. Some were having family come to town. Some were going it alone, but it seemed to be the minority.

Just realized we're not even in the Covid thread. My bad. 🙊
Yeah, sorry. Sometimes a simple comment causes one of these multi-page tangents. Someone posted that flying was at a record level this past weekend implying that it was related to a return of leisure travel and a boost for WDW and I simply pointed out that it was mostly from Thanksgiving travel not people going to WDW and then I made the mistake of saying that the Thanksgiving travel was against CDC recommendations which led to a multi-page tangent on the CDC using the word may vs will and then the healthcare worker topic came up and it all sorta snowballed.

Bottom line is WDW looks a lot more crowded these days and there’s really not much good about that. Increasing park capacity even a little bit has really made for long lines and in some instances difficulty distancing. I think once the holidays are over and the local kids go back to school there will be a return to lower crowds, probably decreased hours and not much change in park capacity...until the vaccines are readily available.

Miss Bella

If this nurse is all over Twitter I agree with Legwand shes most likely attention seeking. Maybe not the best example to prove your case.

Last edited:

rowrbazzle

Yeah, sorry. Sometimes a simple comment causes one of these multi-page tangents. Someone posted that flying was at a record level this past weekend implying that it was related to a return of leisure travel and a boost for WDW and I simply pointed out that it was mostly from Thanksgiving travel not people going to WDW and then I made the mistake of saying that the Thanksgiving travel was against CDC recommendations which led to a multi-page tangent on the CDC using the word may vs will and then the healthcare worker topic came up and it all sorta snowballed.

Bottom line is WDW looks a lot more crowded these days and there’s really not much good about that. Increasing park capacity even a little bit has really made for long lines and in some instances difficulty distancing. I think once the holidays are over and the local kids go back to school there will be a return to lower crowds, probably decreased hours and not much change in park capacity...until the vaccines are readily available.
They really need to add capacity. It sounded like they were trying to do that on some rides, but it seems like shows are still mostly shuttered. I think that would make a big difference, particularly something like Indiana Jones. There's plenty of room for distancing and it's outside. They're really in a bind as long as people need to be physically distant. :confused:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They really need to add capacity. It sounded like they were trying to do that on some rides, but it seems like shows are still mostly shuttered. I think that would make a big difference, particularly something like Indiana Jones. There's plenty of room for distancing and it's outside. They're really in a bind as long as people need to be physically distant. :confused:
Yes, they need to add ride and attraction capacity in order to increase overall park capacity. Even adding plexiglass to some rides isn’t going to be enough to get ride capacity high enough to absorb the crowds. So they could go from 35% park capacity limit to 45% but all that does is turn 45 min waits into 75 min and the queues have to be distanced too so then the line loops through half the park. For a place like DHS it’s a no go. For EPCOT and AK there‘s a lot of space to spread out, but guests won’t be too thrilled if everything has 60+ min waits and no FP.

legwand77

Someone posted that flying was at a record level this past weekend implying that it was related to a return of leisure travel and a boost for WDW

Not quite, All I posted was -

"TSA gate traffic numbers hit record highs over the weekend, even with all the rising positive tests and travel restrictions." - which I found surprising.

You, yourself implied it was related the return to leisure travel and boost for WDW.

and I disagreed and still do with your statement where you said "People traveling right now will result in more spread, more death"

We disagree that is fine and I respect that as usual, but don't put words in my mouth.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not quite, All I posted was -

"TSA gate traffic numbers hit record highs over the weekend, even with all the rising positive tests and travel restrictions." - which I found surprising.

You, yourself implied it was related the return to leisure travel and boost for WDW.

and I disagreed and still do with your statement where you said "People traveling right now will result in more spread, more death"

We disagree that is fine and I respect that as usual, but don't put words in my mouth.
I thought I was pretty clear:
And just for the record I never said going to WDW will cause death. Getting together indoors with multiple people outside your household for Thanksgiving without masks and distancing will. The vast majority of the “record breaking“ increase in flying isn‘t people going to WDW, it’s people going to a relative or friend’s house for
I believe it’s pretty clear that more travel results in more virus spread. We can agree to disagree on that though.

Ldno

Ehhh I think Disney threw their safety guidelines out the window. It feels like business as usual at the parks with no social distancing at the queues, pictures, people passing by you, what can you do, at least you guys should avoid American Airlines/Frontier/Jetblue/Spirit since they just pack the planes like there’s no pandemic unlike Delta/United that Keep you separated to say the least. (Not even going to mention Southwest since I hate flying there)

Traveling anywhere is just a nightmare, the biggest difference between traveling this year and last year including going to disney world is guess what: Masks. That’s it.

The world sucks at handling this, I am a huge germophobe before this pandemic, there’s still a lot of red flags that pop up since going to a disney store is different versus going to a park IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom