Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If DLP closes again then WDW is gonna be next because money won't be flowing to the parks anymore (WDW is the *only* wholly-owned resort still open right now besides DLP).
If WDW is still making a positive contribution to operating margin I don’t see why they would close. Right now the resort would be more negative to cash flows if it was closed than with it open. That’s not taking into account any changes in demand due to spike or 2nd wave in FL.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If DLP closes again then WDW is gonna be next because money won't be flowing to the parks anymore (WDW is the *only* wholly-owned resort still open right now besides DLP).

Disneyland Paris will reportedly be closing October 30th.

Brutal... well @marni1971, good thing you got to go when you did!
It’s worth noting it’s not official yet. Someone is jumping the gun with the governments announcement. Although it’s to be expected.

Yes we were lucky.

Last edited:

Tink242424

We can agree to disagree. It’s actually a pretty good analogy. It was suggested that if people don’t feel safe working with a high risk of Covid exposure they can just quit their job and get a different one. People willing to take the risk can continue working there. That’s true about any unsafe condition. If we scrap OSHA requirements then many companies would find someone willing to work in an unsafe environment and anyone unwilling can just quit, so problem solved. I don’t think you agree with that since you are saying worker safety is incredibly important. It was also suggested here that the business owners and not the government should get to decide. If a business feels it can open and be safe then it should be allowed to. That’s obviously not how OSHA and other safety requirements work. A government agency that is focused on the best interest of the workers and not the bottom line of the business sets the standards.

Where I’m sure we disagree is whether Covid is serious or dangerous. That again isn’t for me or you or the business owners to decide. The government makes that call, just like OSHA. Even if I feel I’m willing to take the risk I can’t work as a window washer without a harness or proper safety gear. Sometimes government imposed safety requirements help keep us safe even from ourselves.
The OSHA reference is interesting as it is possible it could apply but only to how COVID prevention is handled IN THE OFFICE. OSHA doesn't give any power over what people do on their own time. So I don't think it applies to the situation we were discussing.

I had made the argument that people should be allowed to do their own possible risk assessment of whether or not to partake in COVID "risky" activities and the other poster then replied with that can't be allowed since I have to go work and I have no other choice but to go and how that puts them at risk.

My objection is to there is no other option of going into their job. That just isn't the truth. No one in the US is FORCED to work anywhere. You CHOOSE to work there. Now, it might be a tough choice and I would argue that 99% of people have worked a job that they hated just because they had bills to pay but it is still a choice. It isn't a great choice but if it is that important to you then you need to do that. You can't force your values and standards on to others.

oceanbreeze77

I am genuinely curious about this. What did you see (pre-covid) to convince you?

Uuuuuuh No. You must have been out of the country for a few years.
The economy has been slipping since the last year or 2. There were already too of talks about certain industries tanking.
Here are articles from 2019.

Slpy3270

It’s worth noting it’s not official yet. Someone is jumping the gun with the governments announcement. Although it’s to br expected.
DLP is a non-essential business. The lockdown applies to *all* non-essential businesses. Of course it's going to close.

JFP

The economy has been slipping since the last year or 2. There were already too of talks about certain industries tanking.

I'm not sold on this, but very interesting reads - thank you for sharing.

GimpYancIent

Ok, interesting, what if, type of journalism. Not what actually happened pre-COVID. Like I said, interesting reading. Hey, you are one of those preppers, aren't you?

Slpy3270

At this rate Disney parks will probably be spun-off by 2022-3. No way that attendance is going back to pre-pandemic levels in time before activist investors dismantle the house of cards.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The OSHA reference is interesting as it is possible it could apply but only to how COVID prevention is handled IN THE OFFICE. OSHA doesn't give any power over what people do on their own time. So I don't think it applies to the situation we were discussing.

I had made the argument that people should be allowed to do their own possible risk assessment of whether or not to partake in COVID "risky" activities and the other poster then replied with that can't be allowed since I have to go work and I have no other choice but to go and how that puts them at risk.

My objection is to there is no other option of going into their job. That just isn't the truth. No one in the US is FORCED to work anywhere. You CHOOSE to work there. Now, it might be a tough choice and I would argue that 99% of people have worked a job that they hated just because they had bills to pay but it is still a choice. It isn't a great choice but if it is that important to you then you need to do that. You can't force your values and standards on to others.
The point is that employers have an obligation to make their workplace safe. I think that applies to Covid too. People have the right to work in a safe environment. So opening a bar with no restrictions on capacity and no face masks is IMHO making an unsafe work place for a bartender or waiter. Whether they are willing to take the risk is irrelevant. Same goes for meatpacking plants or supermarkets or any other venue.

You can’t come to work with an infectious disease like Covid. That’s not debatable, but I think what you are talking about is someone who doesn’t know if they are positive or not but has partaken in risky behavior that may have exposed them. Legally I can’t see how an employer can stop someone in that case from coming to work unless they have a policy in place stating that the action is prohibited. For example a hospital or school could say that if you travel to a hot spot and then come back you can’t come into work for 14 days. As long as that’s spelled out and well known there’s nothing illegal or wrong about it. Could an employer ban people from going to bars, unlikely, but I do know a school teacher whose principal asked all the staff to not go to a large group gathering for Thanksgiving to protect each other. I don’t know if there’s a punishment for not following it, but the request was made. Outside of the legality of stopping someone from taking risky actions, I do feel it’s a bit selfish to regularly expose yourself to Covid and then go into a work environment where you could infect others. Just my opinion. Others can feel free to disagree.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"We are happy to announce that The Walt Disney Family Museum plans to reopen to the public on Thursday, November 5. We missed you and cannot wait to see you at the museum soon! Come experience Walt Disney’s uplifting life story through our innovative galleries, memorable artifacts, and original artworks.

Beginning Thursday, November 5, the museum will be open Thursday through Sunday from 10am to 5:30pm, with last gallery entry at 4:15pm, and will be closed Monday through Wednesday for the remainder of the year."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom