Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimpYancIent

I'm sick and tired of people assuming that the rest of us are unaware of the the negative effects. We know darn well. You know the phrase, "Throwing good money after bad." That is my biggest fear about all these COVID exposed businesses. People are lying to themselves about the reality of the next 1-3 years, and even longer. Being open will not save these businesses in a permanent way. We've been letting them walk around with internal bleeding, thinking they are saved because there are no surface wounds, gushing blood. All the opening does is force the owners of these businesses to blow through their reserves slower, giving themselves false hope that turnaround is "just around the corner," mentally and physically exhausting themselves. A short term, base level survival, blaming themselves for their eventual failure by not pulling on their bootstraps enough, instead of the demand crisis and the virus wreaking havoc worldwide. The proverbial boiling frogs.

Although it is hard to hear, since the government has been unwilling to be a financial backstop, I think the more resilient business owners will be the ones that closed early on, preserved their savings, preserved their capital and sought employment in industries that are still functional and even thriving, regrouping for the day when this is done. When all of this is over, there will be a huge need for restaurants, entertainment etc. and we're doing a bang up job of making sure the only people who have the financial wherewithal to open in a post-COVID world are corporations and people with deep financial pockets. They cynical side of me, says that this is a "feature, not a bug" of the pandemic to some. The well-healed have headed to the hills, removed themselves from Main Street businesses (higher incomes are pulling back on discretionary spending, more than lower income families), invested in rural real-estate, renovated their pandemic bunkers and are hunkering down. The rest of us should be paying attention to that.
You are correct about one thing. There is an increase in preppers. There seems to be this low key rumor the four horsemen of the apocalypse are riding rampant around the globe. I believe a trip to WDW would calm and assure many that all will be all right in the long run.

Ldno

That’s my favorite movie of all time but damn General Ripper was on something else and was ahead of it’s time!!

Gentlemen, there’s no fighting in the war room!! Hahahahaha
You are really going to compare New Zealand to the US? A country with a population under 5 million.
People keep bringing up New Zealand, but the reason why they stayed open and their approach worked aside from being an island in the middle of nowhere with a population of 5 million, is that they closed their open borders completely, Something other countries just can’t afford to do.

Could you imagine the gigantic backlash if that were to happen in the US?
People stand by to replace families being kicked out of the parks because they can't get their 2-year-old to wear a mask? That must really make people feel safe about Disney enforcing its rules. I wonder why that isn't part of the commercial?
Ehhh you know how it is, they probably don’t know it’s because of that to be honest hahaha.

Actually Disney is enforcing the rules to the T, they are not messing around, hell if your mask is too big and it accidentally slips in the bathroom they will send a CM to correct you. Wouldn’t be surprised if they do though haha.

All politics and science aside, we can try to be optimistic or pessimistic about this but at the end of the day doesn’t change the fact that we are all being driven above our sanity and just can’t take it anymore, not knowing when it will end is driving us insane.

Remember back in march when everyone thought the two week lockdown would work, then got extended until end of April, then news were like oh second wave mid summer because of the heat, then now we are headed into a third wave and it will get worse because of “winter” and stuff, now if you are like California everything has to be a specific tier to reopen.

Streaming content is saturated because there’s nothing new, same with movie theaters which obviously is shuttered down can’t produce new money driven box offices.

People are being laid off because people are not spending, savings are being drained, despite being unemployed you are competing with 500% more qualified candidates than you but it wouldn’t matter since at the end of the day money is running out, I wouldn’t mind going back on lockdown if they keep paying me with their stimulus but all that government help will hurt us come income tax season sooooo iddk. Very interesting times, this crack found on the moon was not on my 2020 bingo card.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Worker safety is incredibly important, but I don’t think OSHA requirements are a comparable example to what’s happening right now. Businesses can plan for OSHA requirements, and know them before they even get started. They can’t really plan for their governor forcing them to close, or majorly reduce capacity, without much notice. Even if the governor doesn’t end up adding more restrictions, businesses don’t know that - they have to keep operating under a cloud of uncertainty now that the precedent has been established.
We can agree to disagree. It’s actually a pretty good analogy. It was suggested that if people don’t feel safe working with a high risk of Covid exposure they can just quit their job and get a different one. People willing to take the risk can continue working there. That’s true about any unsafe condition. If we scrap OSHA requirements then many companies would find someone willing to work in an unsafe environment and anyone unwilling can just quit, so problem solved. I don’t think you agree with that since you are saying worker safety is incredibly important. It was also suggested here that the business owners and not the government should get to decide. If a business feels it can open and be safe then it should be allowed to. That’s obviously not how OSHA and other safety requirements work. A government agency that is focused on the best interest of the workers and not the bottom line of the business sets the standards.

Where I’m sure we disagree is whether Covid is serious or dangerous. That again isn’t for me or you or the business owners to decide. The government makes that call, just like OSHA. Even if I feel I’m willing to take the risk I can’t work as a window washer without a harness or proper safety gear. Sometimes government imposed safety requirements help keep us safe even from ourselves.

JFP

We were already headed towards a deep recession before covid. The economy was already ruined and anyone who thinks covid ruined the economy is fooling themselves. It just made it worse.
I am genuinely curious about this. What did you see (pre-covid) to convince you?

hopemax

I don’t disagree with any of that. Well said. But if businesses want (need, more likely) to be open and feel they can turn a profit right now, I also don’t think we should be able to take that away from them. It’s a big slippery slope letting government have this much power.
If we don't let government act during a GLOBAL CRISIS, what is the point of having government at all? Government serves a purpose beyond not having 50 different currencies and 50 different standing armies. Of course, 40 years after Reagan's "9 most terrifying words" and battles since the Great Depression I don't blame the proletariat for believing in it. Ineffective government is destructive, the answer is not to make government more ineffective. But that's something people are going to have to learn themselves. I just hope that people will consider that they've allowed themselves to get worked up over a bogeyman that served to generate power and wealth for someone else. The same way people worked themselves up over who marries who, marijuana legalization, alcohol sales (takeout and drive-thru alcohol is everywhere now) and other stuff.

You are correct about one thing. There is an increase in preppers. There seems to be this low key rumor the four horsemen of the apocalypse are riding rampant around the globe. I believe a trip to WDW would calm and assure many that all will be all right in the long run.
Hardly. The preppers gave up after the first two weeks, declaring it too hard to wear a mask. Unless we're defining preppers as rich people with wine cellars, home gyms and outdoor barbecue space (which are the people I was talking about in pandemic bunkers).

October82

Sorry but equating telling companies to change their safety procedures to telling them to reduce their capacity to 50% by tomorrow is a stretch. You can plan around the former. How are you supposed to plan how many employees you need or what hours to have when you don’t know what your capacity will be like next month?

Let’s look at Disneyland, for example. Under the governor’s orders, they can only open in a certain tier of community spread. Let’s say they hit that tier and Disneyland opens - what happens when more cases crop up and they’re no longer in the “safe” tier? Do they shut down immediately? What about things like ride maintenance or food being stored on property? What are the logistics of that? And that situation could happen a dozen times.

I don't think you're wrong that this is a problem, but I think you're misdiagnosing the underlying cause. The issue is not that the public health guidelines are unreasonable, it is that the rest of the government response is missing in action. Businesses and individuals should be provided with a safety net so that they do not fail because certain actions are required in the interests of public health.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sorry but equating telling companies to change their safety procedures to telling them to reduce their capacity to 50% by tomorrow is a stretch. You can plan around the former. How are you supposed to plan how many employees you need or what hours to have when you don’t know what your capacity will be like next month?

Let’s look at Disneyland, for example. Under the governor’s orders, they can only open in a certain tier of community spread. Let’s say they hit that tier and Disneyland opens - what happens when more cases crop up and they’re no longer in the “safe” tier? Do they shut down immediately? What about things like ride maintenance or food being stored on property? What are the logistics of that? And that situation could happen a dozen times.
Where are the capacity limits changing so wildly that it impacts food storage? Most places have had several phases of changed capacity in 6+ months now. It’s not like they change it weekly or even monthly.

I understand it’s more difficult to plan now, but that would be true with no government imposed restrictions. Take WDW for example. They have X number of rooms booked for November and December. If FL cases spike to 10,000+ a day again many of those people will cancel. No way to plan for that.

disneycp

I don't think you're wrong that this is a problem, but I think you're misdiagnosing the underlying cause. The issue is not that the public health guidelines are unreasonable, it is that the rest of the government response is missing in action. Businesses and individuals should be provided with a safety net so that they do not fail because certain actions are required in the interests of public health.

yup, I agree. I don’t think the government has a right to forcibly close down businesses or place large restrictions on them without offering a safety net.

GimpYancIent

We were already headed towards a deep recession before covid. The economy was already ruined and anyone who thinks covid ruined the economy is fooling themselves. It just made it worse.
Uuuuuuh No. You must have been out of the country for a few years.
If we don't let government act during a GLOBAL CRISIS, what is the point of having government at all? Government serves a purpose beyond not having 50 different currencies and 50 different standing armies. Of course, 40 years after Reagan's "9 most terrifying words" and battles since the Great Depression I don't blame the proletariat for believing in it. Ineffective government is destructive, the answer is not to make government more ineffective. But that's something people are going to have to learn themselves. I just hope that people will consider that they've allowed themselves to get worked up over a bogeyman that served to generate power and wealth for someone else. The same way people worked themselves up over who marries who, marijuana legalization, alcohol sales (takeout and drive-thru alcohol is everywhere now) and other stuff.

Hardly. The preppers gave up after the first two weeks, declaring it too hard to wear a mask. Unless we're defining preppers as rich people with wine cellars, home gyms and outdoor barbecue space (which are the people I was talking about in pandemic bunkers).
Hey! Who do you think invented glamping? Wine cellars make great survival bunkers, home gyms can be multipurpose areas and if you are going to cook out (Do It With Class). That said, there are those that take long term survival, as in ruffing it, seriously.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
yup, I agree. I don’t think the government has a right to forcibly close down businesses or place large restrictions on them without offering a safety net.
That we agree on. The government botched it completely there and now instead of fixing some issues they were pre-occupied with political BS and now are on vacation. Disgraceful all around, both parties.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Good news: It does seem like deaths are going down in FL...

1603912785882.png

1603912812739.png

The bad news is that number of cases is increasing and positivity refuses to go under 5%. Which means an expectation in deaths to go back up again in a few weeks. Odd thing: Johns Hopkins has switched which positivity rate they track to the lower one

1603912988434.png

1603913019928.png

1603913061943.png

1603913144518.png

DCBaker

Premium Member
"President Macron has imposed a new nationwide lockdown in France as Covid-19 cases surge.

The new measures echo the eight-week lockdown that France enforced in the spring, when hospitalisations and deaths caused by the COVID-19 epidemic reached a peak.

Signed documents will once again be needed for people to leave home and moving between regions no longer possible. People can only leave the house to buy essential goods, seek medical attention, or use their daily one-hour allocation of exercise.

But unlike the previous lockdown, most schools are to remain open, Macron said, while universities will revert to online teaching and working from home will be generalised.

Visits to care homes will still be allowed, as will funerals, Macron said."

disneycp

Where are the capacity limits changing so wildly that it impacts food storage? Most places have had several phases of changed capacity in 6+ months now. It’s not like they change it weekly or even monthly.

I understand it’s more difficult to plan now, but that would be true with no government imposed restrictions. Take WDW for example. They have X number of rooms booked for November and December. If FL cases spike to 10,000+ a day again many of those people will cancel. No way to plan for that.

That example is specific to Disneyland due to the nature of Newsom’s guidelines for California theme parks (with the tier system).

GimpYancIent

"President Macron has imposed a new nationwide lockdown in France as Covid-19 cases surge.

The new measures echo the eight-week lockdown that France enforced in the spring, when hospitalisations and deaths caused by the COVID-19 epidemic reached a peak.

Signed documents will once again be needed for people to leave home and moving between regions no longer possible. People can only leave the house to buy essential goods, seek medical attention, or use their daily one-hour allocation of exercise.

But unlike the previous lockdown, most schools are to remain open, Macron said, while universities will revert to online teaching and working from home will be generalised.

Yeah, Yeah, the same guy that felt it plenty safe to have the Tour De France etc, etc, etc.

Slpy3270

If DLP closes again then WDW is gonna be next because money won't be flowing to the parks anymore (WDW is the *only* wholly-owned resort still open right now besides DLP).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom