Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

I see no issue with going to WDW right now as long as you are willing to follow the rules.
I’m not so sure. Any time spent unnecessarily around and among other people adds to the risk of spreading the virus. The risk may be relatively small, and some may consider it less important than economic and mental-health factors, but it’s substantial enough that I don’t think it can be dismissed as a non-issue. More worrying than conditions within the parks themselves is the travel entailed for those who aren’t driving to Disney. In my naivety, I hadn’t realised until the other day that people were flying to Orlando on packed planes—I’d somehow convinced myself that flights would be socially distanced. I know that air-filtration systems on planes are extremely effective, but they can only do much when people are packed together like sardines for extended periods of time.

Disstevefan1

COVID-19 is the third leading cause of death in the US. It kills more people than all of the things you listed except cancer, a group of diseases with various causes.

All that tells you about is a specific moment. It says nothing about before or after the test. The concern by those researchers was that people were being tested too late, that they were contagious and did not properly

It seems to me there is more testing happening now in states that previously where not considered problem areas, so as much as we can trust the data, while the cases are going up, the death by Covid looks to be (somewhat) level and while we know the death count lags cases, the death count has been (somewhat) level since and even trending down (somewhat) since Sept. I am optimistic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It seems to me there is more testing happening now in states that previously where not considered problem areas, so as much as we can trust the data, while the cases are going up, the death by Covid looks to be (somewhat) level and while we know the death count lags cases, the death count has been (somewhat) level since and even trending down (somewhat) since Sept. I am optimistic.

What is optimistic about anything you said?

If you believe the goal was “just as long as I don’t die...” then you only paid attention to about 10% of the story

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃
I heard him this morning...it was one of the most egregious wastes of oxygen in history

oceanbreeze77

"

Mr Conte has said he does not want to repeat the national lockdown imposed during the first wave in March and April because of the economic damage caused. Under the new measures, the bulk of secondary school teaching will be conducted online instead of in the classroom."

Like many places in Europe, they are easing towards another lockdown.

Every week its""no,no,no we are not fully shutting down, were just going to shutdown this sector." I can understand why they are doing it slowly.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 12 new reported deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 12.23.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 12.23.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 12.23.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 12.23.09 PM.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Agreed. Although that wasn’t an attempted swipe at the current administration. I have little faith in the government organizing something of this scale no matter who is in charge. With the current lot there are even less qualified people in key positions than normal, but those guys just set the tone from the top (which is still important), the leg work will be done by career workers in departments not the political appointees. I have much more faith in the parts of the process controlled by well established large corporations since they have people in charge who earn bonuses based on success or failure. Nothing motivates efficiency like the good old fashioned buck.

Put the pharmaceutical companies in charge of distribution and don't pay them until a person actually receives the vaccine.

oceanbreeze77

No, not for vaccine distribution. This has to be organized at the federal level. We can’t have states fighting each other over supply. I get that a lot of stuff can be punted down to the states to avoid blame when things go wrong, but this can’t.
Praying for a change in the wind by the time vaccine distribution is ready. If ya know what I mean

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Put the pharmaceutical companies in charge of distribution and don't pay them until a person actually receives the vaccine.
I haven’t seen the plan from JnJ or AstraZeneca, but Pfizer declined help from the government on wholesale distribution. They are planning to deliver their vaccine to hospitals or pharmacies in their frozen cases using 3rd party carriers for delivery. They are still at the mercy of the government organizing some form of plan to do the vaccinations themselves. Moderna doesn‘t have the sophistication to do it themselves. They are going to rely on McKesson who was contracted by the Warp Speed group. I don’t disagree that using good old fashioned capitalism can be a good way to drive efficiency.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, not for vaccine distribution. This has to be organized at the federal level. We can’t have states fighting each other over supply. I get that a lot of stuff can be punted down to the states to avoid blame when things go wrong, but this can’t.

I think we’d be shocked to find how many people don’t know that this is what has happened?

DisneyCane

The Sturgis bike rally disagrees with you.
It does? From a USA today fact check article (not a right wing publication):

"Our findings, in short: The post doesn't quite get the facts right – or the math. South Dakota confirmed 124 COVID-19 cases tied to the Sturgis Rally as of Sept. 8, and other states have reported at least 290 people in 12 states testing positive after attending the rally. About 460,000 people attended the rally. The infection rate based on the above numbers is 0.09%, found by dividing 414 (South Dakota's cases plus the other states' cases) by 460,000, and multiplying that by 100."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah...but why is that the scenario?

Because they didn’t really try and now they threw up their hands...fine.
But it’s incompatible with the “Don’t hold us accountable...”

Not this time, Sunny Jim. 9
Yeah, I don’t disagree. It’s like going on a low carb diet, eating pizza and pasta and drinking beer for every meal and then saying I tried that diet and it didn’t work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom