Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Put the pharmaceutical companies in charge of distribution and don't pay them until a person actually receives the vaccine.
How on earth would you track that? None of the hospital, Dr. or pharmacy computer systems are set up to track and bill like that. It would take longer to develop the software to track it than to distribute normally.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How on earth would you track that? None of the hospital, Dr. or pharmacy computer systems are set up to track and bill like that. It would take longer to develop the software to track it than to distribute normally.
What’s normally? Pfizer has already said they will be handling the shipping from the manufacturing site to the end location where the vaccine will be used. We have never had a vaccine widely distributed in the US that has been required to be kept frozen at the temperatures required for the 2 leading candidates. They can’t just store it in warehouses and ship when needed.

ImperfectPixie

It does? From a USA today fact check article (not a right wing publication):

"Our findings, in short: The post doesn't quite get the facts right – or the math. South Dakota confirmed 124 COVID-19 cases tied to the Sturgis Rally as of Sept. 8, and other states have reported at least 290 people in 12 states testing positive after attending the rally. About 460,000 people attended the rally. The infection rate based on the above numbers is 0.09%, found by dividing 414 (South Dakota's cases plus the other states' cases) by 460,000, and multiplying that by 100."
Those are the ones they were able to locate. If you think people don't lie about attending super-spreader events, I've got a bridge to sell you. Also, our tracking and tracing has been less than sub-par in the US.

And for the record, I don't read garbage news. NYT, BBC, AP, Reuters, etc. I like to read facts, thanks.

DisneyCane

Yeah...but why is that the scenario?

Because they didn’t really try and now they threw up their hands...fine.
But it’s incompatible with the “Don’t hold us accountable...”

Not this time, Sunny Jim. 9
Because the only way to stop (not slow, stop) the spread of this virus is with herd immunity and a vaccine is required for that without an unacceptable number of deaths.

Pausing the spread requires Draconian measures that kill the economy. Slowing the spread requires damaging the economy and making it difficult for many industries (restaurants, entertainment, etc.) to stay in business.

So, oh brilliant one, what exactly would work or would have worked to beat this virus without a vaccine? Restrictions forever? So far every country that was "successful" and did things better than us dumb Americans starts having problems again when they got closer to a normal life reopening.

Maybe had China locked down Wuhan and let the world know about the virus when they first discovered it the was a chance to stop it. Even then I'm not sure it would have been possible.

DisneyCane

What’s normally? Pfizer has already said they will be handling the shipping from the manufacturing site to the end location where the vaccine will be used. We have never had a vaccine widely distributed in the US that has been required to be kept frozen at the temperatures required for the 2 leading candidates. They can’t just store it in warehouses and ship when needed.
I mean tracking a dose given and tying that to payment to the manufacturer. Suppliers are paid for product delivered, not administered under normal processes.

GimpYancIent

Because the only way to stop (not slow, stop) the spread of this virus is with herd immunity and a vaccine is required for that without an unacceptable number of deaths.

Pausing the spread requires Draconian measures that kill the economy. Slowing the spread requires damaging the economy and making it difficult for many industries (restaurants, entertainment, etc.) to stay in business.

So, oh brilliant one, what exactly would work or would have worked to beat this virus without a vaccine? Restrictions forever? So far every country that was "successful" and did things better than us dumb Americans starts having problems again when they got closer to a normal life reopening.

Maybe had China locked down Wuhan and let the world know about the virus when they first discovered it the was a chance to stop it. Even then I'm not sure it would have been possible.
1603647221785.png

ImperfectPixie

Mask wearing should have been a mandate in every state from the beginning and should never have been politicized. That would have been a huge step in the right direction.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I mean tracking a dose given and tying that to payment to the manufacturer. Suppliers are paid for product delivered, not administered under normal processes.
The manufacturer has nothing to do with administering the vaccine. If they choose to handle the whole delivery process to the end user (as Pfizer has elected to do) then they shouldn’t be paid until the vaccine arrives on time and in condition to be used. In the case of Moderna it’s a little harder to judge because they sub-contracted the wholesale delivery to a 3rd party so if that company botches the delivery should Moderna still get paid or not is something I assume is in the contract.

techgeek

It does? From a USA today fact check article (not a right wing publication):

"Our findings, in short: The post doesn't quite get the facts right – or the math. South Dakota confirmed 124 COVID-19 cases tied to the Sturgis Rally as of Sept. 8, and other states have reported at least 290 people in 12 states testing positive after attending the rally. About 460,000 people attended the rally. The infection rate based on the above numbers is 0.09%, found by dividing 414 (South Dakota's cases plus the other states' cases) by 460,000, and multiplying that by 100."

The Sturgis Bike Rally ended on 8/16. Do you have another explanation for the rise in cases starting at the end of August in both North and South Dakota? Seems very much like an Occam's Razor situation to me.

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 1.41.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 1.39.49 PM.png

GimpYancIent

The manufacturer has nothing to do with administering the vaccine. If they choose to handle the whole delivery process to the end user (as Pfizer has elected to do) then they shouldn’t be paid until the vaccine arrives on time and in condition to be used. In the case of Moderna it’s a little harder to judge because they sub-contracted the wholesale delivery to a 3rd party so if that company botches the delivery should Moderna still get paid or not is something I assume is in the contract.
Blah, Blah, Blah. If a massive delivery system needs to be worked then contract AMAZON or UPS. Manufacturers, well, manufacture and let professional deliverers deliver. Vaccines are a product, a commodity, time, climate, fragile, yet still a product an there are pro's that can deliver. Billing and payment should be like any other product.

DisneyCane

The post I replied to was somebody suggesting that distribution be handled by the manufacturer and they should be paid only when administered. That's what I asked about the logistics of. End user, as in the entity that will administer the vaccine is different than paid based on it being administered.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Allowing the virus to spread unchecked has killed the economy too. Especially in areas that rely on tourism. There’s definitely a false narrative out there that removing restrictions is a light switch for the economy to go back to normal. I guess we will find out by looking at FL. All government imposed restrictions have been removed so the economy should just bounce back to normal if all of the economic damage is from government restrictions and not from the virus itself. So far not seeing many signs of that. We won’t know if reducing the virus to manageable levels would have been better for the economy since we never really tried it.

GimpYancIent

Yup! Should have been mandated from the federal level and not red vs blue.
No! Nyet!, Nein! The mask Commissar's will abuse such a mandate with the sole interest of revenue stream development. A nightmare of mask meter maids on segway's chasing down and ticketing citizens for not having a mask on properly despite no one was within 100yds of them.

ImperfectPixie

No! Nyet!, Nein! The mask Commissar's will abuse such a mandate with the sole interest of revenue stream development. A nightmare of mask meter maids on segway's chasing down and ticketing citizens for not having a mask on properly despite no one was within 100yds of them.
Well, how do you suppose we deal with those who won't wear a mask even though it's been proven to be effective at limiting spread?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Blah, Blah, Blah. If a massive delivery system needs to be worked then contract AMAZON or UPS. Manufacturers, well, manufacture and let professional deliverers deliver. Vaccines are a product, a commodity, time, climate, fragile, yet still a product an there are pro's that can deliver. Billing and payment should be like any other product.
Not sure what the blah, blah, blah is for. It’s a conversation and as far as I can see not sure what I said that was in any way controversial, but you do you.

If you actually followed the discussion it was already posted and discussed that Pfizer is partnered with UPS for delivery services. Moderna is using McKesson who specializes in medical distribution and was contracted by Operation Warp Speed for delivery. In either case the manufacturer is being paid by the US government for the vaccine so our tax dollars. I don‘t think they should be paid unless the vaccine arrives when and where it’s supposed to in working order.

The post I replied to was somebody suggesting that distribution be handled by the manufacturer and they should be paid only when administered. That's what I asked about the logistics of. End user, as in the entity that will administer the vaccine is different than paid based on it being administered.
Yeah, they should get paid when the vaccine arrives in usable condition not when the person gets stuck. They don’t need to know who got the vaccine or track it at that level. Just how many doses were delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom