Indiana Jones Land?

DVCakaCarlF

Cheaper, too!
I’m fairly certain I read somewhere that During construction of WDW, that WDI had to take over for the general contractors of both the Magic Kingdom and the resorts in order to open on time. Disney’s not in a position to “resume” that level of involvement. The cost and staff are both prohibitive. Furthermore, that amount of in house staff requires a pipeline of new work. Otherwise, there is going to be a lot of hiring and firing. WDI has more or less become a construction manager or owners representative.

The typical 500 room hotel in North America takes 18-24 months for construction. So it’s not a surprise that any of these attractions or projects take the same or considerably longer.

lazyboy97o

I’m fairly certain I read somewhere that During construction of WDW, that WDI had to take over for the general contractors of both the Magic Kingdom and the resorts in order to open on time. Disney’s not in a position to “resume” that level of involvement. The cost and staff are both prohibitive. Furthermore, that amount of in house staff requires a pipeline of new work. Otherwise, there is going to be a lot of hiring and firing. WDI has more or less become a construction manager or owners representative.

The typical 500 room hotel in North America takes 18-24 months for construction. So it’s not a surprise that any of these attractions or projects take the same or considerably longer.
Walt Disney Imagineering has never been contractors. They fabricate and install their own components but they’ve never been the ones building the facilities. There is a lot of hiring and firing and it’s been that way since the early 80s. Disney was cheaper and faster because there was less overall involvement, not more. There are now layers and layer and layer and layers of stakeholders and decision makers in even the smallest of projects.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’m fairly certain I read somewhere that During construction of WDW, that WDI had to take over for the general contractors of both the Magic Kingdom and the resorts in order to open on time....
Yes, they did. They wanted it built quicker.
Splash Mountain - an incredibly detailed and complex project - took 22 months from starting land clearing to opening.

Last edited:

DVCakaCarlF

Walt Disney Imagineering has never been contractors. They fabricate and install their own components but they’ve never been the ones building the facilities. There is a lot of hiring and firing and it’s been that way since the early 80s. Disney was cheaper and faster because there was less overall involvement, not more. There are now layers and layer and layer and layers of stakeholders and decision makers in even the smallest of projects.
Yes, WDI contracted with subcontractors to build certain facilities - infrastructure, grading, etc; however, they were way more involved in the actual process than today. Having daily staff on a project, actually working, will speed anything along. They did way more than just install “components.” I would bet that if you compared “daily attendance reports” from today to past projects, you would have seen both more WDI employees and subcontractor staff.

I agree that the additional layers of stakeholders have something to do with the delays in funding, changes, and schedule, but they are only part of the problem. It’s Disney’s refusal to engage WDI effectively.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

In this designers' resume, he mentions some "Maya 3d work for theme park attraction design" for Disney, in addition to some work for Universal's Epic Universe in between 2017-2019.

Indiana Jones.PNG

Bocabear

So...any news on the Indiana Jones Land? It would be a fun idea to run with but needs more than one attraction and a stunt show... Needs to be fleshed out more...Is there enough land where the Stunt Show/Backlot Express area currently sits to do something meaningful?

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

So...any news on the Indiana Jones Land? It would be a fun idea to run with but needs more than one attraction and a stunt show... Needs to be fleshed out more...Is there enough land where the Stunt Show/Backlot Express area currently sits to do something meaningful?
Someone shared that the Indiana Jones Dinoland project was dead. Or, sorry- “infinitely delayed”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom