The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Oh there will be a lawyer involved. He had very good insurance but there are too many questions unanswered. My kids had nothing to do with the medical authorization. Treatment doesn’t match the prognosis that matched the final outcome. What a mess.
Good luck with sorting it all out. That's one thing I'll say for small town living...people band together to help out. We were poor and my mom only had catastrophic health insurance for an emergency. Nothing preventative or routine. She was able to get a mammogram through a state program for women over 55 living in poverty. But the treatment wasn't all covered by her insurance because they denied any claim that was more expensive than their calculations in urban areas. So they would look at the cost of a bone scan in a hospital in California where there were thousands of patients to defray the cost of the bone scan machine, and compare it to the cost of the bone scan in rural Wyoming where there was only one bone scan machine in the region....100 miles from where we lived, and where there were only a couple hundred patients to defray that cost. So the cost in Wyoming was more than in California....so the insurance company says "We won't pay it unless you go get it done in California where it doesn't cost as much." And then of course, insurance doesn't cover the cost of things like transportation or hotel costs. So my mother had to travel 100 miles to get radiation. The community we lived in was awesome....there was a free shuttle service for cancer patients to take them to Sheridan for radiation, since that was the only place in the region that had that treatment option. There was an organization that did fund raising....they got a quilting group to make and raffle off a hand sewn quilt at the annual hunter rancher feed to pay for medical bills my mom's insurance denied. Someone kept paying her lot rent every month, but we have no idea who. The organization also paid for our meals and hotel stay while mom was in the hospital for the last few days before she passed. The community was really helpful and supportive and don't think we'd have had that in a big city. And even with all that, she still had medical bills when she passed that we couldn't afford to pay. Most were things that should have been covered by insurance, but they refused to pay out because we were in Wyoming instead of California. But they knew us at the hospital, knew we couldn't afford it. It was a smaller town hospital....still 100 miles from home, but not as large as Sheridan. They were so amazing there....the nurses were the BEST....I have such huge respect for nurses. They cried with us when mom passed. It was a huge blow to them, too. They treated us like family.

MySmallWorldof4

So tonite my kids learned that their dead fathers hospital bills from Covid were a quarter of million dollars. Just hospital bills. They as next of kin authorized none Nor did the hospital contact them Ever. This does not include any physician expenses. Too bad he couldn’t have gone to
Walter Reed for free like Billionaire people have.

Vote.
Hospital charges are definitely insane. Many of us have incurred great debt because of illnesses. It does zero good for you in this particular chat thread though to bring politics into it. It is creating divisiveness and an unfriendly environment. Please keep the politics in the politics section.

MySmallWorldof4

I'm very much mixed, too...primarily English, French and Irish, with some Dutch and Native American (my birth father says we can be traced back to Pocahontas, but I'm not sure I buy that).
One of my college roommates can trace her lineage back to the Mayflower. I thought that was cool. I am second generation and 100% Eastern European.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom