On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

legwand77

Looks like Disney is positioning themseleves to battle with Newsom on the restrictions in California with Iger leaving the task force. Removes confilct of interest. Most likely some legal action will be taking place 'soon'.

Walt Disney Co. chairman Bob Iger has quit Gov. Gavin Newsom’s economic recovery task force, a Disney spokesperson confirmed Thursday evening.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article246162370.html#storylink=cpy

Cesar R M

Oh man. I have logged in, written drafts, deleted them, and swore I would never do this. Yet here I am. And I'm ready to start some ****.

The Walt Disney Company is about to experience some of the deepest layoffs I have ever witnessed in my adult life. I would call attention to the 2002 and 2009 layoffs after those respective crises. Those separations from the company were orderly. Often via generous voluntary packages. Hell, to his credit, Al Weiss was militant about never laying off a CM against their will after 9/11. I respect that. He was basically a dumbass otherwise.

In 2009, there was a similar "orderly" exit of excess personnel. However, much of this labor was brought back remarkably fast as Disney's business was in far better shape in 2009.

We also have other, smaller layoffs that hit project teams at WDI. These are bull**** layoffs. Flim Flam. Just some accounting tricks. Almost everyone is brought back.

Well, these days are no more. What you are about to see from WDC will be shocking and it will permanently change their business forever. The bloat is about to be gone. The mediocrity that's failed upward all our lives is about to be purged. A new company is emerging.

And no, Bob Chapek is no hero. But he does recognize the value in taking out the trash.

Now, lets talk about attendance at WDW. It's effing bad. Its Hard Rock Park bad. It's Dubai bad. Its the worst attendance in the history of the resort. Epcot is lucky to hit 2500 a day and usually is only hosting a few hundred at a time. Magic Kingdom is tormentingly under performing. There is simply no demand to fill the park out even to its limited capacity. The other two parks are also in dire straits, but due to their smaller size, there are certain days they can make a go of it. And yet still, the resort business is the iceberg and WDW Parks are the titanic. This will not end well.

The situation is dire. Unsustainable. WDW parks will be dropping to five day weeks soon. They will likely not be alone in this practice.

And that brings me to Bob Iger. Mr. Chairman. Mr. Gotta Put Yoda on His Wife's Dress to Bury Some Search Engine Leads. That guy. It is my pleasure to announce that he will be soon tossed on his ***. In disgrace. His sins, his poor judgement, his poor treatment of subordinates. His malicious temper and outrageous displays of "toxic masculinity" as the kids call it. All this and more is coming out. Good riddance.
He will retire millonaire and laughing to the bank while patting himself in the back for "I did my best".

Lil Copter Cap

If you want to stay home that is your choice but those of us who do not wish to do so are not condemned to the fearfulness of those who fear everything.

Hello, welcome to 2020 where a pandemic is still very much happening and caring for others seems to not be on your list of things to do. Fear is not the only driving factor for many to stay home. The world does not revolve around you and your desire to have non-essential fun.

If you want to take part in unsafe activities, no one is stopping you. Disney (and any other business) has every right to institute a mask requirement because welcome to 2020 where a pandemic is still very much happening and caring for others seems to not be on your list of things to do.

The weather has been lovely the past few days. High 70s. So sorry you missed it on your non-essential trip to Disney World.

natatomic

It’s not miserable. It’s barely noticeable after a while unless you just want to whine and complain.

Says you. It IS miserable for some. It’s all I notice even when I’m in an air conditioned store for 30 minutes. No way I would survive Disney with a mask on all day, especially in the heat.
But here’s a cookie for you being a superior human being, I guess? 🍪🤷🏻‍♀️

peter11435

Says you. It IS miserable for some. It’s all I notice even when I’m in an air conditioned store for 30 minutes. No way I would survive Disney with a mask on all day, especially in the heat.
But here’s a cookie for you being a superior human being, I guess? 🍪🤷🏻‍♀️
I stand by what I said.

I guarantee if you stopped whining and complaining long enough to get used to it you’d quickly forget it’s there.

denyuntilcaught

Hello, welcome to 2020 where a pandemic is still very much happening and caring for others seems to not be on your list of things to do. Fear is not the only driving factor for many to stay home. The world does not revolve around you and your desire to have non-essential fun.

If you want to take part in unsafe activities, no one is stopping you. Disney (and any other business) has every right to institute a mask requirement because welcome to 2020 where a pandemic is still very much happening and caring for others seems to not be on your list of things to do.

The weather has been lovely the past few days. High 70s. So sorry you missed it on your non-essential trip to Disney World.
I'm hearing a histrionic response and hyperbole on both ends here.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney isn't collapsing.

Disney needs to right size to adjust to the world around it. They've mastered it quite well so far... but people are panic'ing now that Disney has to actually start making wide sweeping changes to re-orient the business going forward.

It's what leaders do - those that are paralyzed and can't adapt are the ones that roll over and die.

techgeek

TWDC is not a one person band... none of us are in the room to know who is driving and who is observing. We only see the output.. and here.. it's making change.

It’s pretty obvious that Bob has turned management of the company over to a spreadsheet, and the spreadsheet is calling the shots at the moment.

If there were actual leadership, there would be some nuance and innovation involved in the decisions of the last few weeks.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s pretty obvious that Bob has turned management of the company over to a spreadsheet, and the spreadsheet is calling the shots at the moment.

If there were actual leadership, there would be some nuance and innovation involved in the decisions of the last few weeks.
This.

You don’t cut the top level talent (imagineers, chefs, entertainers, etc.) when you’re a good leader.

flynnibus

Premium Member

So tell us master CEO - what direction should they be taking? They should be keeping tens of thousands of workers on payroll doing nothing?

flynnibus

Premium Member
This.

You don’t cut the top level talent (imagineers, chefs, entertainers, etc.) when you’re a good leader.

They aren't an incubator - you hire talent to do your work. No work, no need for the talent.

You act like they shut down the company... without looking at what they are keeping. Because face it.. none of you really know how groups like WDI actually function.

techgeek

- what direction should they be taking? They should be keeping tens of thousands of workers on payroll doing nothing?

Well, on one side of that argument you’ve got people (and Wall Street) saying Disney has plenty of resources and enough business diversity to weather this for an extended period of time. So, if you subscribe to ‘the company is stable’ theory, then why not? Don’t make any sudden changes, keep people happy and on payroll, ride it out. Be ready to adjust rapidly to changing business opportunity.

If it’s actually really ‘that bad’ and you can’t keep the lights on in the castle next week without laying off half of Imagineering... then maybe you should be out there making that big deal to sell a major asset to raise the cash to keep the core company intact.

Probably the financial reality is somewhere in between crisis mode and comfort, so you knuckle down and get surgical but do so with understanding both of what your customers are looking to you for in a challenging time, and what your employees actually need to deliver on that. Nuance. Magic. Maybe even ask ‘what would Walt do?’ You don’t react to the situation by gutting the institutional knowledge of the company to the point where there’s no one left that understands that those bookcases full of ‘show quality’ binders actually are there for a reason. You don’t let people in the gate at Epcot in the condition that it’s being run today, with no entertainment in a park that has been defined solely by entertainment and lack of vision in the last 20 years. You don’t hide in your office and try to figure out what a CEO actually does when every other major CEO from an international company has been vigorously entering the dialogue of 2020

In 2 or 3 years when we’re over this, is the solution to getting the magic back up and running going to be ‘well, we’ll just have a career day over at the Rosen Hospitality College and I’m sure those new recruits can figure it out, and they’re a lot cheaper anyway!’

* edit - but I’m sorry, obviously I don’t understand any of this....

Last edited by a moderator:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, on one side of that argument you’ve got people (and Wall Street) saying Disney has plenty of resources and enough business diversity to weather this for an extended period of time. So, if you subscribe to ‘the company is stable’ theory, then why not? Don’t make any sudden changes, keep people happy and on payroll, ride it out. Be ready to adjust rapidly to changing business opportunity.

If it’s actually really ‘that bad’ and you can’t keep the lights on in the castle next week without laying off half of Imagineering... then maybe you should be out there making that big deal to sell a major asset to raise the cash to keep the core company intact.

Probably the financial reality is somewhere in between crisis mode and comfort, so you knuckle down and get surgical but do so with understanding both of what your customers are looking to you for in a challenging time, and what your employees actually need to deliver on that. Nuance. Magic. Maybe even ask ‘what would Walt do?’ You don’t react to the situation by gutting the institutional knowledge of the company to the point where there’s no one left that understands that those bookcases full of ‘show quality’ binders actually are there for a reason. You don’t let people in the gate at Epcot in the condition that it’s being run today, with no entertainment in a park that has been defined solely by entertainment and lack of vision in the last 20 years. You don’t hide in your office and try to figure out what a CEO actually does when every other major CEO from an international company has been vigorously entering the dialogue of 2020

In 2 or 3 years when we’re over this, is the solution to getting the magic back up and running going to be ‘well, we’ll just have a career day over at the Rosen Hospitality College and I’m sure those new recruits can figure it out, and they’re a lot cheaper anyway!’

* edit - but I’m sorry, obviously I don’t understand any of this....

people are not worried about the company AS A WHOLE because they have the resources and breathing room to make changes and still have stuff left - not that confidence means ‘do nothing and ride it out... no problem’

they know Disney has actual hard value that transcends the current outlook, is a market leader in spaces that have a future, and has the fiscal resources to weather the crunch.

none of that means “everything is fine... just keep doing what you did before...”

even by your statement if it takes 2-3 years to recover ... you think they should bloat their business for YEARS and operate what they know doesn’t fit the market?

when they thought they might just be facing a speed bump... and had to plan what the new world order would be.... furlough and paying benefits made sense from a corporate responsibility towards their employees.

but that time is past... they are looking at forecasts that are radically different than they were 9months ago.

last year’s plans no longer apply. The responsible thing to do is to right size your business to what the new plan is.

while people are bothered by large changes happening - you can’t ignore that there are large changes happening in the market.

people upset about wdi- they’ve been elastic for decades. Entertainment... same. Odv cashiers? Sorry, those roles are easily replaced.

other major areas may simply not have a purpose going forward.

you should be worried about people who are paralyzed in the face of adversity- not those willing to adapt.

imagine if Walt insisted on keeping his crew working on shorts as before... hoping that somehow the seas of change were just gonna reverse themselves if he just waited long enough.

knowing something is replaceable gives you a lot of power. They don’t need to float things indefinitely when it can be recreated. And gain fiscal advantages on both ends.

techgeek

people are not worried about the company AS A WHOLE because they have the resources and breathing room to make changes and still have stuff left - not that confidence means ‘do nothing and ride it out... no problem’

they know Disney has actual hard value that transcends the current outlook, is a market leader in spaces that have a future, and has the fiscal resources to weather the crunch.

none of that means “everything is fine... just keep doing what you did before...”

even by your statement if it takes 2-3 years to recover ... you think they should bloat their business for YEARS and operate what they know doesn’t fit the market?

when they thought they might just be facing a speed bump... and had to plan what the new world order would be.... furlough and paying benefits made sense from a corporate responsibility towards their employees.

but that time is past... they are looking at forecasts that are radically different than they were 9months ago.

last year’s plans no longer apply. The responsible thing to do is to right size your business to what the new plan is.

while people are bothered by large changes happening - you can’t ignore that there are large changes happening in the market.

people upset about wdi- they’ve been elastic for decades. Entertainment... same. Odv cashiers? Sorry, those roles are easily replaced.

other major areas may simply not have a purpose going forward.

you should be worried about people who are paralyzed in the face of adversity- not those willing to adapt.

imagine if Walt insisted on keeping his crew working on shorts as before... hoping that somehow the seas of change were just gonna reverse themselves if he just waited long enough.

knowing something is replaceable gives you a lot of power. They don’t need to float things indefinitely when it can be recreated. And gain fiscal advantages on both ends.

I can understand and acknowledge much of this, in fact I attempted to allude to it in my "somewhere in between" scenario. Yes, hard decisions have to be made about a business that will not look the same as it did yesterday. But, Walt didn't fire his artists working on shorts... he empowered them to explore other creative directions. He broke business 'rules' of the day by utilizing his resources in different ways, and enabled his talent to work towards tomorrow's vision. Instead of 'right sizing the business', use the resources you have to create your own market. People are begging for unique ways to mentally deal with 2020, if your stock and trade is selling branded comfort to people, and you have the most talented creative minds of a generation sitting on the shelf - why in the world would you not take this opportunity to get out there and find a way to do it? Instead, you let them go, throw up your hands, yell 'synergy!' 'Mandalorian!'" and then wonder where your customers are?

The part of the Walt Disney company history that many have their true emotional connection... the thing in the corporate DNA that defines "Disney", is those times when the company took risks and went the other direction from the "safe, corporate" expectations. It's those moments that brought us Fantasia, Sleeping Beauty, Disneyland, Epcot...

And none of that excuses the complete tone-deafness and lack of communication from the executive suite since Iger's stepping down. Perhaps more would be supportive of these decisions if Uncle Bob reached out and let both customers and cast know what the deal is instead of all of us trying to plan around park hours that may or may not exist and jobs that may or may not be there to support them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom