On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While I DISAGREE with what WDW is doing here and yet again taking another step towards making their "resorts" just glorified hotels with a Disney name - a note on the comment above. Disney does not qualify for any of the PPP loans.

Corporate assistance was never disclosed...bout a trillion in that too.

You think a company with enormous political sway “got none”?

TrainsOfDisney

But that is the new narrative. The last one didn't work for them. And boy, will it be shoved down our throats like castor oil or glue (it seems a little more accurate than 'gruel').

I can see Chapek singing now...

“Brimstone and treacle and carbolic soap, these are the tools of my trade. With spoonfuls of sugar you don’t have a hope of seeing that changes are made.”

Animaniac93-98

I get Iger may desire to preserve political capital for his future, but he’s been awfully silent throughout this notwithstanding having an important place at the table. https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7news.com/amp/bob-iger-gavin-newsom-california-task-force/6111859/

This is the kind of thing that should kill his political prospects.

Just point to this and the $ he collected this year and nobody will have sympathy or respect for him, especially if he runs as D.

Slpy3270

But I thought they said everything was fine during the last earnings call, Disney was doing so great, everything would be fine by Christmas and fake insiders were just spreading doom and gloom?

[sarcasm]

They technically are. They only did this bull because they want to get back to pre-pandemic levels quicker. Reopening Disneyland wouldn't have made a difference!

Besides, they have tens of billions in cash on hand still. They'll be fine for a long time. The workers, on the other hand.

Lilofan

This is the kind of thing that should kill his political prospects.

Just point to this and the $ he collected this year and nobody will have sympathy or respect for him, especially if he runs as D.
Iger is in his early 70s and is worth more than $600M. Why would he take a job that pays less? 😃

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I guess the OP finally got something right... yikes.
Well, yes, if "about to" means "two months from now."

And if firing of "bloat" and "mediocrity that failed upward" means laying off mostly part-timers, then yeah, got it right!

And if predicting what everyone saw coming for months... yeah, super right!

Animaniac93-98

They technically are. They only did this bull**** because they want to get back to pre-pandemic levels quicker. Reopening Disneyland wouldn't have made a difference!

Besides, they have tens of billions in cash on hand still. They'll be fine for a long time. The workers, on the other hand.

Well thank God Disney still has money to make movies like live-action Lion King 2, even if they "can't afford" to pay their employees. :rolleyes:

Slpy3270

Well, yes, if "about to" means "two months from now."

And if firing of "bloat" and "mediocrity that failed upward" means laying off mostly part-timers, then yeah, got it right!

And if predicting what everyone saw coming for months... yeah, super right!

Part-timers aren't "bloat" or "mediocrity". They're the people who operate the damn rides and wear the costumes.

Well thank God Disney still has money to make movies like live-action Lion King 2, even if they "can't afford" to pay their employees. :rolleyes:

You're implying that I think Disney had to do this. They didn't! This is all about maintaining profit margins and nothing more. They were still on track for making a decent profit this year and they still laid people off because they wanted more of that profit. It's the same reason WWE let all those wrestlers go back in April; they didn't care if they were still going to make a huge profit, they wanted to stick to the pre-pandemic projections at all costs.

TrainsOfDisney

The same reason other wealthy people have tried in the past.

Prestige, power, influence, bragging rights. I don't pretend to understand the psychology of crazy rich people.
Iger has a weird desire to put himself on a pedestal with Walt Disney, Steve Jobs, etc.

His “vision” is rehashing already popular franchises and adding a tree to Carsland. Oh yeah and Mickey Street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom