On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Animaniac93-98

Iger has a weird desire to put himself on a pedestal with Walt Disney, Steve Jobs, etc.

His “vision” is rehashing already popular franchises and adding a tree to Carsland. Oh yeah and Mickey Street.

Hoping Iger's legacy will be that of the guy who ran up company debt while adding to his personal finances and bailed the minute market forecasts looked cloudy.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Part-timers aren't "bloat" or "mediocrity". They're the people who operate the damn rides and wear the costumes.

I concur. But the OP was pointing out how the massive lay-offs to come were aimed at bloat. But 67% of the lay-offs were aimed at part-timers.

Either the OP thinks part-timers are bloat, or, they got their prophecy wrong.

Brer Oswald

Well, yes, if "about to" means "two months from now."

And if firing of "bloat" and "mediocrity that failed upward" means laying off mostly part-timers, then yeah, got it right!

And if predicting what everyone saw coming for months... yeah, super right!
Penguin, I like you, but you can’t backpedal on this. You were questioning the OP and going “where are the mass layoffs?” just a few days ago. Now you’re claiming it was “obvious”? That’s revisionist history.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Penguin, I like you, but you can’t backpedal on this. You were questioning the OP and going “where are the mass layoffs?” just a few days ago. Now you’re claiming it was “obvious”? That’s revisionist history.
Because his timing was off. Lot of people were predicting massive lay-offs if Disney couldn't get back to its normal numbers.

But the OP posted about it as if it was just about to happen, and it didn't.

Then there was claims of imminent bankruptcy because Disney didn't have a rainy day reserve.

But it turned out that the last quarter was a wash, and Disney has access to billions of dollars to see it through. The company is fine even if, unfortunately, so many of its employees are not.

But look at the thread title. The OP's main concern is attacking Iger. To wit...

I think every park in Orlando will be down to five day operating weeks in the not too distant future. WDW will put it off to the bitter end because that will completely torpedo future bookings and their optics of a resort that can stay open. Reality: this resort cannot stay open as it is currently open. WDW is careening towards bankruptcy. The parent company is too.

The company at large is a train wreck. I really don't know how things are gonna turn out. Most of Iger's legion will be gone. That's for sure. He destroyed the company with the Fox acquisition. He left no reserve for a rainy day. Now the storm hit and Disney has a cash crisis. Is Iger making sound decisions? No. He is using the company's resources to save his legacy. And by legacy I mean Disney's stock price. Because that's where his wealth is.

None of that came about.

Someone with some inside info -- a good chunk of it dead wrong -- wanted to do a hatchet job on Iger and overplayed their hand with breathless hyperbole.

the.dreamfinder

This is the kind of thing that should kill his political prospects.

Just point to this and the $ he collected this year and nobody will have sympathy or respect for him, especially if he runs as D.
If Iger runs for office is CA, he could run as an Independent in a jungle primary. He is no longer registered to a political party.

techgeek

I am curious what is the WDWMAGIC boards opinion on why the announcement on a Tuesday afternoon?

There was no hiding from this or trying to bury it on a Friday evening, the numbers are too massive. The timing was unquestionably tied to the end of the fiscal year, but as for why this particular afternoon 9/29 and not 9/30 or 9/28... why not? They needed considerable time to orchestrate this, and they need more than a few hours to actually enact it. Today was either the day picked off the calendar for whatever reason, or the day that everything was actually ready to go.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
It's just before October 1, the start of the next fiscal year.

I think it being a Tuesday afternoon is more of a coincidence.

They are burrying it under the debate. Come tommorrow morning you will be lucky to find this story under entertainment or thr travel section on your news source of choice. Debate fallout will suck the air out of the news for a good two days and by that point this story is too old to cover. Yesterday a layoff of this scale would be headline news.

crawale

Oh man. I have logged in, written drafts, deleted them, and swore I would never do this. Yet here I am. And I'm ready to start some ****.

The Walt Disney Company is about to experience some of the deepest layoffs I have ever witnessed in my adult life. I would call attention to the 2002 and 2009 layoffs after those respective crises. Those separations from the company were orderly. Often via generous voluntary packages. Hell, to his credit, Al Weiss was militant about never laying off a CM against their will after 9/11. I respect that. He was basically a dumbass otherwise.

In 2009, there was a similar "orderly" exit of excess personnel. However, much of this labor was brought back remarkably fast as Disney's business was in far better shape in 2009.

We also have other, smaller layoffs that hit project teams at WDI. These are bull**** layoffs. Flim Flam. Just some accounting tricks. Almost everyone is brought back.

Well, these days are no more. What you are about to see from WDC will be shocking and it will permanently change their business forever. The bloat is about to be gone. The mediocrity that's failed upward all our lives is about to be purged. A new company is emerging.

And no, Bob Chapek is no hero. But he does recognize the value in taking out the trash.

Now, lets talk about attendance at WDW. It's effing bad. Its Hard Rock Park bad. It's Dubai bad. Its the worst attendance in the history of the resort. Epcot is lucky to hit 2500 a day and usually is only hosting a few hundred at a time. Magic Kingdom is tormentingly under performing. There is simply no demand to fill the park out even to its limited capacity. The other two parks are also in dire straits, but due to their smaller size, there are certain days they can make a go of it. And yet still, the resort business is the iceberg and WDW Parks are the titanic. This will not end well.

The situation is dire. Unsustainable. WDW parks will be dropping to five day weeks soon. They will likely not be alone in this practice.

And that brings me to Bob Iger. Mr. Chairman. Mr. Gotta Put Yoda on His Wife's Dress to Bury Some Search Engine Leads. That guy. It is my pleasure to announce that he will be soon tossed on his ***. In disgrace. His sins, his poor judgement, his poor treatment of subordinates. His malicious temper and outrageous displays of "toxic masculinity" as the kids call it. All this and more is coming out. Good riddance.
There is a circular problem here. The more things Disney cuts - restaurants, menus, rides, characters, hours etc - the less people are prepared to spend money and get much less value. The current 'precautions' have become ridiculous. Masks outdoors are insane in 90 degree weather. We have just returned from a 9 day trip and mostly it was so horrible in the park we left after an hour or two when previously we would have spent the day. Merchandise no longer delivered to the hotel also severely curtailed our spending. Disney no longer gives any kind of value so how can we wonder there are not more attendees?
We live in North West Florida where restrictions have been lifted for essentially everything. If you want to stay home that is your choice but those of us who do not wish to do so are not condemned to the fearfulness of those who fear everything. This half-hearted opening is the choice of Disney management and hopefully those in management will be the first to at the very least have their compensation cut way back. Iger should be first on this list.

peter11435

I agree - the masks outside are ridiculous. How can wearing a wet mask in 90 degree heat protect anyone. As a medical professional masks are worn inside - in A/C. This is absolutely the worst aspect of Disney's so called 'safety' precautions. The mask is far more likely to cause harm than protect people outside and makes a visit to the parks miserable.
It’s not miserable. It’s barely noticeable after a while unless you just want to whine and complain.

Disorbust

I agree - the masks outside are ridiculous. How can wearing a wet mask in 90 degree heat protect anyone. As a medical professional masks are worn inside - in A/C. This is absolutely the worst aspect of Disney's so called 'safety' precautions. The mask is far more likely to cause harm than protect people outside and makes a visit to the parks miserable.
If you are closer then 6 feet and someone coughs thats why you wear them outside. When you are unable to maintain social distance.

Masks do not cause harm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom