The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

We are getting a mixed review. Covid 19 puts a damper on things. Also she claims she is constantly working on her academics and therefore tired. The positives are the friends she has made...a friends group outing to the mall...followed by dinner at Olive Garden. Thanks for asking☺
I am hearing the same from mine. She say, she is always doing schoolwork. She says it is hard to find time to do things she enjoys like crocheting. I think she is just feeling that she is always working. She does work a lot, but today she did go pumpkin picking with her siblings. She has yet to make friends though because most of her classes are online. When she has labs, she says no one talks, and they are really far apart. I am hoping that things return to normal next semester and she will have in class classes. I am glad your daughter is making friends.

Lora Baines Bradley

Late coming back to this, but wanted to reply :)
Might be fun, and it would be interesting to see how much of a response you receive.

As for me, I've cut back on makeup, etc., because due to wearing a mask a lot, I just don't bother. But that won't be forever, of course. (I did read recently that cosmetic sales were down across the country.) As for hair, I don't have any fancy style, so it's basically wash and go. (I did switch to non-sulfate shampoo recently though, as it's supposed to be less harsh on your hair. It's L'oreal Everpure. I like it.)
For me, makeup/cosmetics is a way to express myself. I know I don't need it, but I enjoy doing it, and I find it really relaxing. I watch a lot of beauty youtube about new releases, etc. I just bought a new highlighter from a Barbie collection that I've been dying for.

I'm getting into haircare, but I don't do much with it (although I love the "space buns" trend! just difficult to do).
I don’t do cosmetics. Never was into them.

I've never been into cosmetics either. I used to do some eyeliner, mascara, and a little cover up & powder but I haven't bothered in quite awhile. My husband doesn't care if I wear any and more importantly I'm fine with how I look without it. My mom and sister are into it but just was never my thing. Maybe I just don't have a talent for putting it on.

Honestly I find that totally fine, too. Nobody should feel pressured to wear it or not wear it. Personally I know that if I get to the point that I have to have makeup to leave the house, then I need to stop. But I often do my makeup at night because I enjoy the process and transforming the way I look. Not because I dislike my natural features, but there's something liberating (to me, anyway) about making myself look the way I want to. For a while, I had a list of Disney attractions and I put them through a randomizer and did a makeup look inspired by the ride! My favorite one I did was Dumbo- I'll DM pictures if anyone is interested :)

Lora Baines Bradley

I always thought lipstick had a weird taste (not that I ate it ;) ) and smelled funny. So I never wanted to wear it, I do use an unscented lip moisturizer/chapstick. I remember being in dance as a kid and we had to wear a ton of makeup for the recital and my mom was trying to put lipstick on me and I was gagging at the smell, not a fun experience that must have turned me off of it.
Man, maybe they've improved how lipstick smells in the past few years, but I have never had that problem. Interesting.
That was my house. She only recently, like at 16, got interested. Friends, and YouTube are where she gets most of her know how. Seriously, things I had never even heard of, and much to dd's frustration, I do not use.
Youtube is a great source, I'd just be careful because there's a lot of toxicity there. While I think everyone should be able to wear whatever makeup they'd like (or none), some of the views can really wreck your self-esteem. I've found a few smaller channels that promote really positive views, though, and those are the ones I usually watch. There are subreddits for it too that are generally pretty positive!

Lora Baines Bradley

The face stuff is actually cheaper than what the doctor prescribed. Added bonus, no side effects, and, it actually worked! Now she is trying to find something that will maintain, but cheaper than the subscription. Every morning, she comes down with "whales" under her eyes, to take away the morning puffiness. A jar of India clay mask, that I hate. I find little clay balls in the bathroom. Not to mention the bowl sitting, waiting to dry up, so she can clean it up. That gets mixed with apple cider vinegar. Oh, and her latest purchase is something that looks like mascara, that you put on at night, to help thicken lashes. The makeup itself isn't too pricey. I have to admit, I had never heard of putting on primer first. But, it all looks very natural.

The spending for all of that gets balanced with her hobby. Thrifting. She loves finding great finds and putting together outfits at the local thrift stores.
I sound like your daughter, lol. Although I'm too infrequent with my skincare. I try to wear a moisturizer and SPF everyday but I fail. Lol

Lora Baines Bradley

From what I know scrubs are bad and can lead to microtears which can lead to infections in other words more breakouts. Masks and strips are better for dealing with blackheads;) and excess oil. Oily skin needs a balancing moisturizer or skin will over compensate by producing too much oil after treatments:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Have you ever looked into oil cleansing? It sounds counterintuitive, but the idea is that like attracts like, so you use an oil, rub it in, and then wash it off with water. You follow it up with a foam cleanser. My skin feels so squeaky clean afterwards, because the oil attracts all the gunk out of your pores. I'm not super oily, though- I'd say I have a pretty normal skin type.

StarWarsGirl

We are getting a mixed review. Covid 19 puts a damper on things. Also she claims she is constantly working on her academics and therefore tired. The positives are the friends she has made...a friends group outing to the mall...followed by dinner at Olive Garden. Thanks for asking☺
What classes is she taking?

It's my opinion that freshmen usually take a semester to get adjusted to college and the way it's taught compared to high school. It's like they have to reteach themselves how to prepare, how to study, how to take notes, etc. It's also hard for a lot of them to be away from home for the first time.

I tutored accounting so I saw a lot of first semester freshmen. Also had an entire class of them my last semester of chorus (small school problems). My funny story was the night of our concert when I got in and the ukelele group (yes...we had one of those...) was rehearsing. We'd been told to meet there. I found a couple of freshmen girls sitting there. I asked them where we were meeting. They said they didn't know. I'm like, did you ask? They said no because they didn't know the ukulele group director's last name. We saw him regularly and all knee his first name. So when they were in between songs I got up and was like, "Hey Joe, where's Bob (our director)?" He told us.

They also looked at me like I'd lost my mind because I called our director Bob. I'm like, he told us to!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Man, maybe they've improved how lipstick smells in the past few years, but I have never had that problem. Interesting.

Youtube is a great source, I'd just be careful because there's a lot of toxicity there. While I think everyone should be able to wear whatever makeup they'd like (or none), some of the views can really wreck your self-esteem. I've found a few smaller channels that promote really positive views, though, and those are the ones I usually watch. There are subreddits for it too that are generally pretty positive!
The youtube beauty community makes the basement here look like nothing but love and kisses;)

Lora Baines Bradley

The youtube beauty community makes the basement here look like nothing but love and kisses;)
Tell me about it! I generally don't watch the big players on Youtube (Jeffree Star, James Charles, etc) because I just don't enjoy their content. Smaller youtubers are more interesting IMO and have so much less drama! Plus they actually talk about the makeup rather than whoever wronged them that week.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Have you ever looked into oil cleansing? It sounds counterintuitive, but the idea is that like attracts like, so you use an oil, rub it in, and then wash it off with water. You follow it up with a foam cleanser. My skin feels so squeaky clean afterwards, because the oil attracts all the gunk out of your pores. I'm not super oily, though- I'd say I have a pretty normal skin type.
Laugh if you will but I use cheap olive oil to remove makeup and follow with a gluten free cleanser. It's moisturizer I sometimes forget to use:facepalm: My eye makeup is down to once a week on a good week these days. I shop before the crack of dawn and just getting dressed is a step above those showing up in jammies

StarWarsGirl

I am hearing the same from mine. She say, she is always doing schoolwork. She says it is hard to find time to do things she enjoys like crocheting. I think she is just feeling that she is always working. She does work a lot, but today she did go pumpkin picking with her siblings. She has yet to make friends though because most of her classes are online. When she has labs, she says no one talks, and they are really far apart. I am hoping that things return to normal next semester and she will have in class classes. I am glad your daughter is making friends.
She'll adjust. Going back to school should help. Most of the people I was friends with in college were from my honors program, and two ironically were group project friends (one I text at least once a week). You said she has a lab, so I guess that means she's taking freshman chemistry or bio, what else is she taking?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Tell me about it! I generally don't watch the big players on Youtube (Jeffree Star, James Charles, etc) because I just don't enjoy their content. Smaller youtubers are more interesting IMO and have so much less drama! Plus they actually talk about the makeup rather than whoever wronged them that week.
Sometimes I watch Kelly Gooch sp? because she only uses CF products, she does a project pan and how not to spend money you don't have to and sometimes Zabrina's drugstore Friday's

Lora Baines Bradley

Laugh if you will but I use cheap olive oil to remove makeup and follow with a gluten free cleanser. It's moisturizer I sometimes forget to use:facepalm: My eye makeup is down to once a week on a good week these days. I shop before the crack of dawn and just getting dressed is a step above those showing up in jammies
Oh no, I certainly wouldn't laugh! I hear olive oil is good for oil cleansing, depending on your skin type. I use chia seed oil from The Ordinary that's around $7. Using oil to get my makeup off really does work wonders.
Sometimes I watch Kelly Gooch sp? because she only uses CF products, she does a project pan and how not to spend money you don't have to and sometimes Zabrina's drugstore Friday's
I haven't watched either of those creators! I really like project pans. I watch Smokey Glow, Lauren Mae Beauty, and Andréa Matillano. I really love their content! I believe all of them may be CF as well, but I'm not 100% on that. There's a big emphasis, especially with Lauren Mae, to use what you have and not bring things in.

SteveBrickNJ

What classes is she taking?

It's my opinion that freshmen usually take a semester to get adjusted to college and the way it's taught compared to high school. It's like they have to reteach themselves how to prepare, how to study, how to take notes, etc. It's also hard for a lot of them to be away from home for the first time.

I tutored accounting so I saw a lot of first semester freshmen. Also had an entire class of them my last semester of chorus (small school problems). My funny story was the night of our concert when I got in and the ukelele group (yes...we had one of those...) was rehearsing. We'd been told to meet there. I found a couple of freshmen girls sitting there. I asked them where we were meeting. They said they didn't know. I'm like, did you ask? They said no because they didn't know the ukulele group director's last name. We saw him regularly and all knee his first name. So when they were in between songs I got up and was like, "Hey Joe, where's Bob (our director)?" He told us.

They also looked at me like I'd lost my mind because I called our director Bob. I'm like, he told us to!
She is taking General Ed Requirements. Sociology, Math,Science. Marching Band is definitely the highlight. Btw...I liked your story you shared.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Late coming back to this, but wanted to reply :)

For me, makeup/cosmetics is a way to express myself. I know I don't need it, but I enjoy doing it, and I find it really relaxing. I watch a lot of beauty youtube about new releases, etc. I just bought a new highlighter from a Barbie collection that I've been dying for.

I'm getting into haircare, but I don't do much with it (although I love the "space buns" trend! just difficult to do).

Honestly I find that totally fine, too. Nobody should feel pressured to wear it or not wear it. Personally I know that if I get to the point that I have to have makeup to leave the house, then I need to stop. But I often do my makeup at night because I enjoy the process and transforming the way I look. Not because I dislike my natural features, but there's something liberating (to me, anyway) about making myself look the way I want to. For a while, I had a list of Disney attractions and I put them through a randomizer and did a makeup look inspired by the ride! My favorite one I did was Dumbo- I'll DM pictures if anyone is interested :)

nothing wrong with wearing or not wearing makeup. All a personal preference. I think some artistic skill is involved with putting it on the right way and making it look good. I don’t have that skill. 🙂😀

Lora Baines Bradley

nothing wrong with wearing or not wearing makeup. All a personal preference. I think some artistic skill is involved with putting it on the right way and making it look good. I don’t have that skill. 🙂😀
I cannot draw for the life of me, but through practice I’ve been able to do my makeup in a way that satisfies me. I think anyone could learn it if i can! but if they don’t want to, that’s alright too. It’s mainly learning the shape of your face and where to put each product- i’m still learning with that!

StarWarsGirl

She is taking General Ed Requirements. Sociology, Math,Science. Marching Band is definitely the highlight. Btw...I liked your story you shared.
I think the lab science kills a lot of people. Especially if it's bio or chem. I didn't take either one because of my asthma (can't be around fume-y chemicals), and the way my college worked, they had us start our major course work early so if you hated it, you could change. So I took Earth and Space science, which had a lab. Also, it was a Tuesday Thursday class which meant I had Fridays off still. The problem is that most of the labs were geology based. And as it happens, I hate geology. Enjoyed the space part. The geology...
tumblr_lseotabOqm1qj74sxo1_250.gif

Anyway, I think a lot of kids get rid of that and it gets better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom