On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Heppenheimer

Especially since travel to Europe involves giving up basically two full days just for the travel.

Yes, you can fly overnight to get there (and that's what I've typically done), but it's often difficult to sleep on the airplane and then your first day at your destination is a tired slog.
Jet lag is also much more than a lack of sleep. The desynchronization of the change in time zone to your usual sleep-wake cycle has a bigger influence on why many people feel dead tired upon arriving in Europe. I used to fly over the Atlantic at least twice a year for over a decade, and getting fully knocked-out by ambien during the flight usually only had a relatively minor effect on how I felt in Europe for the first two days.

UNCgolf

Jet lag is also much more than a lack of sleep. The desynchronization of the change in time zone to your usual sleep-wake cycle has a bigger influence on why many people feel dead tired upon arriving in Europe. I used to fly over the Atlantic at least twice a year for over a decade, and getting fully knocked-out by ambien during the flight usually only had a relatively minor effect on how I felt in Europe for the first two days.

Yep. I didn't mean to imply that the slog was only due to not sleeping on the airplane.

doctornick

It seems like the conversation here is "nobody is impressed with World Showcase anymore" and also, "they ruined World Showcase with festivals and IP."

If "it's just like visiting the real place, only cleaner, safer, closer, smaller, and Americanized" doesn't attract guests anymore, why would they add any more "realistic" stuff to WS?

And if alcohol, festivals, and IP aren't the answer, what should be? So far, I've only seen @Jrb1979 provide a suggestion: a roller coaster.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do echo the point that what would most "help" WS would be having more attractions. I think it would be more popular if it wasn't viewed as "just" an area to shop/eat/drink. Each pavilion having a true large scale attraction would help to make each pavilion more of a destination and encourage folks to perhaps be more cognizant of each of them and perhaps slow down and enjoy them more. The existing rides and shows are fine (though updating the movies periodically would be good, which they'd mostly done or are planning) but having more rides in particular would be good. and not just the "same" stuff in each - why not the Mt Fuji coaster in Japan and the Rhine River Ride in Germany and a Pinocchio dark ride in Italy? There's an opportunity for a variety of experiences.

Last edited:

Miss Bella

I always think flight attendants have an easy job until I fly through several time zones. I have a lot of respect for people that put their bodies through that on a weekly basis.

yensidtlaw1969

I agree 100%!

BTW, I see this as the "secret sauce" in the success of Hamilton.
Part of the brilliance of Hamilton is the way it negotiates the history within the medium of musical storytelling - Lin Manuel Miranda likes to tell the story of him meeting with John Kander and talking about how overwhelming all the history was and how intimidating it was to try to include everything, to which Kander replied "You're not writing a history lesson, you're writing a musical - just write the parts that make a good musical" . . . Which Lin says flipped the switch and made the show much easier to write. It is of course fair to say Hamilton is not wholly accurate to the history, but by being so engaging as a musical it invites you to explore the real history on your own, and it is fair to say the show has renewed the interest in that era for the general public.

All this to say, I think that formula is important and would be useful in renewing the value of Edutainment in a Theme Park setting - there is an extent to which you must work backward from "which elements of this topic are conducive to a really fantastic themed experience?" You can still emphasize the educational elements from there, but you're built on the foundation of an exciting, dynamic attraction for the guest. The reverse doesn't work - unfortunately it doesn't matter how accurate or even entertaining the educational elements of your attraction are if they don't ultimately conflate with the way you're presenting them to achieve a great experience for the guest. The most accurate musical staging of the life of Alexander Hamilton would probably be boring as rocks.

You don't have enough time in one musical to expose the guests to every bit of that man's life. Similarly, you don't have enough time in one attraction to expose the guests to every facet of its subject. Pick the juciest ones and squeeze them tight, and chances are better people will walk out wanting to dive deeper into the subject on their own. And if not, at least you didn't waste their time with anything less than exciting.

MickeyLuv'r

Edutainment definitely isn't dead -- in fact, it's probably bigger now than it was when EPCOT opened.

There are tons of science museums, children's museums, etc. that offer hands-on experiences that are doing incredibly well; often better than they were doing before the Internet. There's been some evidence that the Internet has actually made those places more successful rather than less -- mainly that people see it and think "wow, that looks cool! I want to go see/do that!".

Have any of you ever seen the roving Pixar exhibit? It has been touring museums for some time, and it gets updated from time to time. It is very worthwhile. The hands-on aspect is what makes it so interesting.

brb1006

Not reading almost 250 pgs of posts. Was anything revealed in this thread aside from the general stuff about Iger sucking?
Let me sum up the last couple of pages. Basically discussions about Non-Disney Parks and Disney Theme Parks, and the whole "Disney would been more popular if they had more roller coasters" and "Disney VS Six Flags VS Cedar Fair".

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

So it's a fancy Disney Springs that requires admission...
Agreed. Outside of Mexico ride and Frozen, we just use WS as a place to eat dinner. Not because it is good cultural food. I live in NY, I can get every kind, but it's just a nicer location/menu than a QS burger.

WS needs rides. We can all watch a YouTuber's review of a country's must-see sites.

TheMagus

Not reading almost 250 pgs of posts. Was anything revealed in this thread aside from the general stuff about Iger sucking?
If we removed all the stuff not related to the topic, you could read this in a page or two. The other stuff would be really interesting in separate threads, but it all just pollutes this one.

Ldno

Hold your horses there. California could easily make the parks only open to locals similar to what Japan did with USJ and TDR.
Man talk about shattering my dreams, but I am split. As I checked the tickets taking my entire family of 4 kids and myself to California from Texas would run me round trip 430usd. That’s unheard of on peak times. If they make Disneyland available to locals I would be bummed since I would be missing out on Avengers Campus but on a good note save money. I got up this morning and just wanted to travel, I just need a change of scenery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom