The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Stevek

You can do that?!?!?! Now if only they'd bottle their dirty sauce too... šŸ˜‹
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I agree though, they aren't generally mentioned in passing conversation, and when they are, it's almost like some secret club.
Yep. I had no clue but it's on their app. My daughter was at the Tustin one last week and got me some. And agree on that dirty sauce.

George Lucas on a Bench

Sad news, everyone. The latest victim of the Corona Virus is Fast & Furious: Supercharged at Universal Studios Florida. RIP to one of the greatest attractions ever.

Throughout the "Fast" saga ā€” starting with the original 2001 film, when Vin Diesel's Dom tells Paul Walker's Brian, "You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Corona" ā€” the Mexican pale lager has had a starring role.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Phroobar

Sad news, everyone. The latest victim of the Corona Virus is Fast & Furious: Supercharged at Universal Studios Florida. RIP to one of the greatest attractions ever.

Hopefully they only used the bottles and put in a decent beer instead.

Rich T

It's amazing how old TV shows and movies like this make people from that era seem so much more dignified and civilized than today. Probably not accurate as it's a very small sliver of the population on display but still so fascinating.
Television back then had much stricter rules and standards regarding dress, language and content, so thereā€™s a definite ā€œLeave it to Beaverā€ upper-middle-class formality and properness to much of what was broadcast.

The plus side was that great shows like ā€œThe Twilight Zoneā€ had to be *very* creative and not rely on gore or offensiveness to shock.

The downside was that those regulations turned a blind eye to stereotypes and of-its-time sexism.

One of my favorite shows, ā€œMr. Ed,ā€ had this doozy of cringinessā€”a rare stumble for this otherwise charming series:
Wilbur: Youā€™d make a good secretary, Ed!
Mr. Ed: Iā€™d look silly sitting on your lap.

It occurred to me that this joke is so wrong, outdated and ousted from popular culture that most younger folks watching today would have NO IDEA what ā€œsecretaryā€ and ā€œlapā€ have to do with each other. Thank goodness. Itā€™s weird today to realize how entrenched in pop culture the pretty secretary on the bossā€™s lap image had become in the 50ā€™s snd 60ā€™s. It was in comics, tv, movies, ads... freakinā€™ everywhere.

Long story short: Vintage TV is a fascinating filtered window into both the ups and the downs of society back then.

smooch

A couple episodes of The Golden Girls a day, keeps the 2020 awfulness away.

Parks and Recreation is doing that for me. šŸ˜ƒ

I rewatched Arrested Development over the last month or so with my girlfriend, I hadn't seen it in years and a second watch through really makes you appreciate the jokes that are foreshadowing things that happen later that you don't catch on a first watch through. A shame Season 4 and 5 were so bad, we got halfway through 4 before we just called it quits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom